Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Exhaust ticket RANT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:49 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluaeon
unfortunately, having loud music in socal can get you a ticket... the officer who's giving a ticket might seem to ignore you, but trust me they noticed you... and how late was this on a Saturday night? I THINK, after 8pm or 9pm would be a no-no on loud music.
It was like 6:30, I was going home to change and play soccer.

I rolled my ankle the same night.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

"excessive noise" has to do with decibal levels..........soo, if he did not have a decibal meter he cannot prove that you were over the limit, which i beleive is around 93 decibels...take it to court and have the cop show up.........BS
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
California vehicle code says 95 dB(A). But it is also a very vague set of rules that leave the door open to the interpretation that any modification that increases emissions (including noise) is illegal, regardless of whether the car exceeds 95 dB(A). Whether the officer can tell the difference between this car and a stock Evo is beyond me. Why the owner agreed to start and rev the car is also beyond me.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:55 AM

i just got an exhaust ticket last week. i was sitting at a stop light and a state cop gets behind me and turns on his lights. i pull over and got a ticket for not having a muffler.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, i've gotten a couple of tickets for "modified exhaust", thats when i used to live in riverside, ca. i live in rancho cucamonga, ca and the cops dont really care over here. I just paid the 190 because I had been through the drama of taking it off and then putting it back on and going to court and it was boring, so i just paid the darn thing . I think they pull me over because i have a greddy single exit and it "looks" modified, but it sounds nice . Don't do stupid stuff on public streets, lesson learned.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been pulled over multiple times for this. The law states anything OTHER than stock is illegal.. which is the most retarded thing ever because they offer sport exhaust systems from factory. How would a cop know? Here in WA all you have to do is bring in a picture of the stock exhaust put back on. But I never took mine off lol its only if the cop wants to be a complete a-hole and write you one. The way I see it you didn't have to do ANYTHING the cop told you too like turn it on and rev it. He had no reason for it? All I would have said was no lol. Probably wouldv'e gave you a ticket anyways but easier to fight.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wicked white14
"excessive noise" has to do with decibal levels..........soo, if he did not have a decibal meter he cannot prove that you were over the limit, which i beleive is around 93 decibels...take it to court and have the cop show up.........BS
I believe the law has changed. The decibal rule is no longer in effect. Anything NOT STOCK or how it came from the factory is "illegal" GL!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Snap a quick picture of a stock Evo with your rear license plate on it
was thinking the same thing.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

WOW I usually think NJ sucks but truth is cops here don't even look twice for music or exhaust in my experiance. Tints and you really need to be speeding to get stopped 70-75 your ok 75-85 good chance of getting stopped.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 04:48 PM

You were drifting on a public beach and you DONT expect that the Police are going to give you a ticket? Really? They will be looking hard to teach you a lesson....

I am positive that any reasonably safe roadside inspection is within the law. What I would NEVER do is refuse to turn your car on or refuse to cooperate when asked.... you don’t know what their grounds are, and if you start refusing what Police tell you to do during a lawful investigation you are likely going to get yourself arrested and your vehicle siezed.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by slowboi_x
What I would NEVER do is refuse to turn your car on or refuse to cooperate when asked.... you don’t know what their grounds are, and if you start refusing what Police tell you to do during a lawful investigation you are likely going to get yourself arrested and your vehicle siezed.
Looks like they've got you exactly where they want you to be.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

someone reported you for driving on the beach. the cop was too late to catch you in the act, so he gave you an exhaust ticket instead. you should have thanked him. dont be a dick, just pay it and work on being a better human
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowboi_x
You were drifting on a public beach and you DONT expect that the Police are going to give you a ticket? Really? They will be looking hard to teach you a lesson....

I am positive that any reasonably safe roadside inspection is within the law. What I would NEVER do is refuse to turn your car on or refuse to cooperate when asked.... you don’t know what their grounds are, and if you start refusing what Police tell you to do during a lawful investigation you are likely going to get yourself arrested and your vehicle siezed.
Pretty much if my car was just off and I was just waiting outside and a cop came to me and told me to turn it on and rev it id ask him what for? If you're not going to give me a ticket for any law that i broke then leave me alone, i'm not even in my car driving for you to pull me over and give me a ticket or break any driving laws. Turning it on and revving just gives them cold hard facts that you have a modified exhaust and makes their life easier lol. In his situation idk if they saw you sliding or heard you or whatever. Either way you would have gotten a ticket just by looking at the exhaust if the cop is an a-hole. You probably dont know what their grounds are but there are ground rules. If it was me i wouldnt have waited around in the first place
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
someone reported you for driving on the beach. the cop was too late to catch you in the act, so he gave you an exhaust ticket instead. you should have thanked him. dont be a dick, just pay it and work on being a better human
Can he still give you a wreckless if he didnt physically see it? If someone just reported it? JW lol good stuff to know.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Don't break the law. If you do and get caught, don't ***** about it. Man up and take responsibility for your shenanigans.

Cops really don't care about cars around here. Tint is most likely to get you in trouble and loud stereos in some areas, but exhaust? No. I got pulled over in my modified WRX doing 74 in a 55. Completely illegal exhaust (bellmouth Invidia N1, 3" test and 3" Megan CBE...also catless), borderline tint and speeding my *** off. I got a warning.

You get screwed around here with emissions....My county has it, the next one over doesn't.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ticket RANT