Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

World Ranking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:56 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some X hill climb action:

http://vimeo.com/24205192
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Evo IX and STi are currently tied in the current PWRC season...
You are right! but if you look at the current field of drivers that are in the X, it is very weak!! If Armindo Araujo hadn't moved on this year we would be looking at possibly another EVO X PWRC championship! Last yr the X basically swept every major rally championship around the world!!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josefmd
You are right! but if you look at the current field of drivers that are in the X, it is very weak!! If Armindo Araujo hadn't moved on this year we would be looking at possibly another EVO X PWRC championship! Last yr the X basically swept every major rally championship around the world!!
I know, it's a shame he moved on.

But really that's what it usually comes down to between these cars: it's a driver's race.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by subarulz
Funny how little you guys have to hang on to. Have it. Enjoy it. Looking forward to the next gen Subaru. How's the next gen EVO looking?
lololol
Old Jun 6, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Funny how little you guys have to hang on to. Have it. Enjoy it. Looking forward to the next gen Subaru. How's the next gen EVO looking?
I hate to feed the trolls, but what are you guys holding on to? Because to be honest, it sure isn't rallying!!

Last edited by josefmd; Jun 6, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny how little you guys have to hang on to. Finishing last or at the bottom or nearly every magazine performance comparison finishing behind in Rallying, etc. Subaru has the greatest legion of internet fanboys but I'm not sure if that's something you want to hang on to. And yes we know that you can fit more groceries in the back of your WRX/STI so you do win the utility argument.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fwiw, subi finally beat the evo x's in rally america action. the factory subi team beat out Antoine L'Estrange by less than two seconds. they ain't too slow when they actually finish races
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Admittedly, I AM a Subaru "fanboy", always have been always will be. But the reason I came over to Mitsu and my gorgeous Evo is this: Performance. Mitsu has ALWAYS dominated in performance numbers (the more realistic Subaru owners will admit it...), and has been comparably priced to the STi. I came because it's simply the better performing car. It DOES look a million times better, but I loved the look of my pig ugly "bugeye". The ONLY thing that Subaru does better than Mitsu is that boxer rumble, and that's just a result of the unique motor design. Mitsu just cannot compare in that department even with aftermarket exhaust. Well some of Subaru's trannys have been pretty damn awesome, too, along with the older STi blocks (however that argument fails because of the 4g63 awesomeness of the same era).

I TRULY regret not being able/willing to buy a 4g63 Evo when they were new. I didn't think I could find an unabused one so I bought a 4b11T new. Not sure this car will be as reliable, but oh well.

With the advent of the X, everyone *****es at the performance comparisons between the X and the Impreza and how they aren't "fair" in terms of trim comparisons. It's a tough call. Compare the quicker 5spd WRX to the GSR? GSR stomps it in handling and top end, but the WRX being quicker than the STi may give it a bigger advantage than most will admit. Compare the STi with the GSR and the GSR wins, perhaps because of the one less shift that the GSR has to make. Handling is an obvious win to the GSR. Compare the GSR to the MR/SE and it's a blow out in terms of quickness and handling.

So there's really no Apples to Apples comparison between the two lines but any way you cut it the X wins. I DO wish the X MR had been offered in a 6spd manual with beefier tranny than the IX.....
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Fan of both cars... owned both cars.

congrats to mistu ... but subaru back then in wrc is what got me into rally and awd cars. Those were the days... just doesn't feel the same anymore. subaru and evo battling it out =]
Old Jun 7, 2011, 03:06 PM

Well if we are just talking about appearances, even this looks better then the next gen Impreza

haaha
Old Jun 7, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I know, it's a shame he moved on.

But really that's what it usually comes down to between these cars: it's a driver's race.
Actually after a certain level the car is the tipping point not really a driver anymore. You can have one or two genious, like loeb, but on the world stage the car and the team behind it , is much more important. If you look the top drivers they position HIGHLY depends on the team- car they drive.

Rob
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Actually after a certain level the car is the tipping point not really a driver anymore. You can have one or two genious, like loeb, but on the world stage the car and the team behind it , is much more important. If you look the top drivers they position HIGHLY depends on the team- car they drive.

Rob
that's surprising to hear, especially for rally - but i think i get what you're saying.. kind of like how competent the car is set up and how competent the team that supports the car is? i can see rally drivers being limited by a poor set up and at the same time being able to really benefit from a good set up.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostedXevo
just doesn't feel the same anymore. subaru and evo battling it out =]
Know what you mean about that. It's hard for me to get excited about the recent 1.6 turbo cars they use in WRC today.

Part of it is probably that we can't even purchase any Ford or Citroen car which is based off the WRC cars. The closest we get is the Ford Focus RS which isn't even AWD.

Other part is the rivalry doesn't feel as epic as the Subaru vs. Mitsubishi one.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:32 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Mitsu for life!

But I must admit...I really am in love with the 2005 STI's....that grill....is so beautiful...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
that's surprising to hear, especially for rally - but i think i get what you're saying.. kind of like how competent the car is set up and how competent the team that supports the car is? i can see rally drivers being limited by a poor set up and at the same time being able to really benefit from a good set up.
basically thats it. Like big guys run stages with always new parts, the EXACT SAME example: Ford M-sport team secondary cars are ruynning the used parts etc. Out side they look a like , inside ...

This is not just rally, but very visible in the rally. When Mercedes was in , they had a nerve to bring a rear end to the service area, with a helicopter just to stay in the rally.
/timed service , so with normal support you would not have enough time to transport and service, but by air was possible./
You cant compare factory supported teams to corporate ones or the privateer teams , and that is going on too in the drivers field, when goes to the supported drivers to the not so supported ones, even in the same team. The said part is the Mitsubishi is a least supported , IF supported team by corporates never mind factory...
L'astage gets help from Canada but even that can't be compared to the Subaru help to the rally still. And these things could be game changers.
said or not its true.
The big deal here is still against all odds, the Evolution is still remains the king, period, supported or not.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jun 8, 2011 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: World Ranking