Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Snell for my fat head

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Snell for my fat head

I have a big fat head, XXXL is comfey. I need a Snell approved helmet. The local cycle places have helmets but the largest sizes are not Snell rated but the next size down is. Maybe I'm just missing something here, but where can I get a helmet for my fat head? The cycle place was really busy when I was there so I didn't bother to ask what the deal was with the rateing. Google searches come back with way to much unrelated crap to sift through properly. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:59 AM

Fellow big fat head here. I also had this issue when looking for a Snell helmet for Auto-X. I was told that the XXXL helmets are not Snell because the manufacturing process is different from all the smaller sizes. You may be out of luck if you truly need one in that size.

I found that I could get away with wearing a smaller size comfortably in an open-face style, which I actually prefer in-car, especially in the FL heat. I ended up getting a RJ-Platinum R in XL and it's perfect (Snell M2010 rated). Based on the sizing chart, my head falls right between XL and XXL. In closed face helmets, anything smaller than XXL is very uncomfortable to me.

Luckily I was able to find an awesome store in central florida called The Helmet Shop, but you may be limited to motorcycle dealers in your area. If you're willing to take a leap based on the sizing chart, try saferacer.com/.

Another thing to note is most helmets you will find in store are Snell "M" (motorcycle) rated while SafeRacer caries Snell "SA" (special applications) rated. Be sure to check what you want to do requires but I find M is fine for most motorsports.

Another tip is removing the top liner gives a little extra room. Doing this allows me to wear my friend's L-sized closed face helmet without too much discomfort. Also, on my helmet the actual Snell sticker is behind this top liner.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the link! I may have to take a shot in the dark and try one.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alkor
try saferacer.com/.

Another thing to note is most helmets you will find in store are Snell "M" (motorcycle) rated while SafeRacer caries Snell "SA" (special applications) rated. Be sure to check what you want to do requires but I find M is fine for most motorsports.

1. Yes, call Saferacer.com they will help you out. or HRpworld.com both are excellent and their people will find what you need.

2. No, you don't want a motorcycle helmet for auto sports. Some sanctioning bodies will permit it, maybe for an HPDE day, but others will say no. Something about the chin piece shape or something. Also the cooling is different. Spend the money once and get the right kind of helmet for the job.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the helmet tight? Top of your head? or like most people....at the cheeks, if its the cheeks look at an arai or shoie helmet...... take the larget size that is snell rated and take the cheek pads out and then take the cheek pads from the largest size and put them in. Then see how it fits.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alkor
Fellow big fat head here. I also had this issue when looking for a Snell helmet for Auto-X. I was told that the XXXL helmets are not Snell because the manufacturing process is different from all the smaller sizes. You may be out of luck if you truly need one in that size.

I found that I could get away with wearing a smaller size comfortably in an open-face style, which I actually prefer in-car, especially in the FL heat. I ended up getting a RJ-Platinum R in XL and it's perfect (Snell M2010 rated). Based on the sizing chart, my head falls right between XL and XXL. In closed face helmets, anything smaller than XXL is very uncomfortable to me.

Luckily I was able to find an awesome store in central florida called The Helmet Shop, but you may be limited to motorcycle dealers in your area. If you're willing to take a leap based on the sizing chart, try saferacer.com/.

Another tip is removing the top liner gives a little extra room. Doing this allows me to wear my friend's L-sized closed face helmet without too much discomfort. Also, on my helmet the actual Snell sticker is behind this top liner.

Just took the plunge and placed an order. Helmet is the only thing keeping me off the track right now.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:56 AM

Aaaand just got an email that it is on backorder with no ETA. Fnck me dam it.