Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Sad News - One of our own has passed away.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you all again for your generous generous donations. I am putting together a list and a total tomorrow morning before the service to present to the family.

I will continue to collect donations afterwards for a while, I'll leave the link up and people can donate as they choose or are able.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.i.p
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

RIP, any update on the cause?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
EvoM Moderator

HOLY CRAP thank you everyone who donated so far. The Michael Lomker Memorial Fund is up to $1180. I will check for a total again in the morning before I head to the funeral and cut a check. Any donations after that point I will give to the family when I give them the money from sticker sales.

I have been getting a few paypal payments via the donation link for $5 or $10 since I posted the info about the stickers....remember if you want a sticker please send a separate payment saying so.

If its all right with everyone I'll be quoting some of the comments people have had in these various threads to give to the family; they are kind words and I will do my best to share them. If anyone has any specific words or messages they'd like me to share, please say so and I will do so (if anyone else that is coming to the funeral would like to help with this, please do).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by GiLizILL
RIP, any update on the cause?
Not yet, sorry. I will share any info I get.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks, RIP and condolences to the family.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:28 AM
EvoM Moderator

Fund is up to $1451.60 this morning after some overnight donations (including mine) and I hadn't calculated in a few eChecks last time. I'll cover the tax and delivery on the flowers so we can give the fam an even $1350.

Here's the letter I'm giving to the family, from all of us, signed in the order donations were received (or maybe reverse order actually, sorry!) Anyways, everyone's name is there, lots of good quotes, its not perfect but I did the best I could.

http://www.scheides.com/misc/pics/Lo...eralQuotes.pdf
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
nice work dude...

its appreciated by all of us!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:43 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Chris, great work and thanks!
I'll be praying for his family.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R.i.p.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dindn't know or deal with him but damn heart problems at 39? That's horrible. RIP.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

The funeral was very emotional. Mike's family was very supportive of all of his hobbies and they had a rough idea he had some friends in the car community but I don't think they had any idea quite how many. After I asked if there was anything we could do to just name it, Mike's brother Mark looked me dead in the eye and said, 'I'm doing EVERYTHING I can to keep the car' and handing him a big pile of cash was a fantastic start I think. I wish I could have been there when he opened that envelope! As I presented it to him his father and other family were around, as well as at least 10 members of the local forums. I told them that this was a gift from ALL of Mike's friends on four forums and it was the sum of *70* donating individuals/shops. I told him that for every donation there was probably 3-10 more well wishes behind it from supporting friends and family members.

It was very emotional but both feelings of happyness and sadness came and went in several waves. There was some cool pics of Mike growing up, our flowers were there and beautiful, and again the entire family was just reeling at the scope of the support we brought. I printed off a few of the letters and gave them to other family members and planned to share them with others there, but they were gone before I could even hang onto one in case I needed it for reference!

I called FastSigns in Brooklyn Center (I've been using them for decals for years) this morning at 8:45 and again at 9:03am and thanked Lee profusely for helping us get the decals ready for this weekend. He said it was no problem and I carefully asked if he had any that were done that I could snag for this morning. He said he had about 10 done. While I got dressed my wife Anna bombed up there, paid for the decals and in that span of time he knocked out another 17, so I had 27 decals to bring with! I bought one myself and sold 5 while I was there and gave about 8 to his family. I hope I don't run out this weekend! We'll get more printed if need be.

Sad News - One of our own has passed away.-es38a.jpg

Sad News - One of our own has passed away.-p0fvy.jpg

I talked to Mark and they said they needed to just keep Mike's car parked for the weekend. They are doing some traveling and he said even though he trusts us endlessly, he is worried about legality if anything were to happen. So, it won't be at BIR, but they said they were thinking they could bring it to one of our upcoming events....I recommended the All Mitsubishi Cookout that Curt puts on every year here in MN...Shawn supported this with a beautiful (and true!) story about how Mike had in fact WON a first place trophy at this event last year with his car. Talking it over with others I think it is the perfect venue for a tribute to Mike.

Thanks again for all of your donations and support, I will be mailing out decals starting Monday, I am SLAMMED at work and am now way behind getting ready for this weekend at BIR. I have a decal on my car and like many others, I will be doing plenty of WOT this weekend with Michael Lomker cheering me on!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

R.I.P ..

truthfully touch the hear of alot of people here .
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
EvoM Moderator

Hey guys! Decals went out Tuesday. Sorry I have been in training 8-5 and working all night every day this week...and recovering from the MAP event this weekend :P

People keep asking what happened and as I said a few times now, we will post when we get any more info. His family is grieving, its time to let them be for a bit. I am continuing to collect donations and sticker sales, I think we have about another $300 or so to give to them thus far, if we can get the total over the $2000 mark that would be awesome!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:34 PM

Requiescant In Pace, Michael. I spoke to you at least once on my old account. You shall be missed.

Quick Reply: Sad News - One of our own has passed away.