Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo has GREAT saftey features for crash! And... I'm looking for a new X. Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Exclamation Evo has GREAT saftey features for crash! And... I'm looking for a new X. Suggestion?

Had accident last Sunday. After a smiling squrriel showing up, S-AWC did not work on the gravels at the corner, X went out of the road and fell down to the hill, cut a big tree in front, ended as up-side-down hanging against few trees 30 feet down to the side from the road (at TN mountains). All airbags came out except passenger one since I was the only one in the car. No window broken, all door was able to be openned. Elect worked fine even for the blue-tooth. I powered window down and climbed out. Saw some smoke coming from the engine bay, but no fire/sparks. When I was up-side-down in the car, I was looking for my apt key thinking about having a good rest rest after this, and also looking for my GPS so police could know exactly where I was since cell phone had no signal there on the mountain. Officer said it's miracle that I survived with no severe injury (few skin scratches and some tissue swellings only) . X was totaled but still waiting for the insurance company to confirm. Well, at least this proves EVO X DOES has "5 star" front impact rating! Rented a car and still went to see the Transformers IMAX few hours late based on the original plan lol. PS: AVIS charged me 500+ dollars for dropping the car at diff location for only two days rental... WTF

Anyway, I'm looking for a 2011 MR base now as my daily drive since the only one was gone. Called every corner of the country ,but could not find any BLUE MR base leftover unfortunately. Found a white one and they asked for 37k including shipping (about 600miles). Is it a good price??? Should I wait for 2012? Any news for 2012 evo? Need suggestion?

Thanks a lot! And drive SAFE guys!
Attached Thumbnails Evo has GREAT saftey features for crash! And... I'm looking for a new X. Suggestions-wrecked-x-se-01.jpg   Evo has GREAT saftey features for crash! And... I'm looking for a new X. Suggestions-wrecked-x-se-02.jpg  

Last edited by odin; Jul 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:16 AM

Judging by your lack of spelling and grammar skills I doubt your a "Surgical Neurophysiologist" as you call yourself and probably should reconsider buying another evo and get something more for your age. If you are in your mid 20s well then I apologize. I still got 49 more payments of 349.05 and don't want to pay more for insurance. And next time just run over the damn thing.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well, what do the other MR's have? Navi? Aero kit? I would just wait till you find a blue one even if you have to pay a little bit more for a different package. 37k, which includes shipping, sounds like a good deal to me..

As far as 2012's go, since you don't have another car you may just need to get a 2011 since there is no news for a release date yet.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Orinux
Judging by your lack of spelling and grammar skills I doubt your a "Surgical Neurophysiologist" as you call yourself and probably should reconsider buying another evo and get something more for your age. If you are in your mid 20s well then I apologize. I still got 49 more payments of 349.05 and don't want to pay more for insurance. And next time just run over the damn thing.
Well, I wasn't born in this country, sorry for my English and I'm 30. Yeah, insurance gonna be a pain .
Everyone knows we should hold the line and hit it when it appears, unfortunately my brain just did not work functionally at that moment but followed the natrual psychological and physiological reflex I guess since it was my first time to be in that situation... I did have the room to avoid hitting it, but know nothing about the gravels on the corner... Oh well

Last edited by odin; Jul 7, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by odin
Had accident last Sunday. After a smiling squrriel showing up, S-AWC did not work on gravels, X went out of the road and fell down to the hill, cut a big tree in front, ended as un-side-down hanging against few trees 30 feet down to the side from the road (at TN mountains). All airbags came out except passenger one since I was the only one in the car. No window broken, all door was able to be openned. Elect worked fine, powered window down and climbed out. Saw some smoke from the engine bay, but no fire/sparks. When I was up-side-down in the car, I was looking for my apt key thinking about having a good rest rest after this, and also looking for my GPS so police could know exactly where I was since cell phone had no signal there on the mountain. Officer said it's miracle that I survived with no severe injury (few skin scratches and some tissue swellings only) . X was totaled but still waiting for the insurance company to confirm. Well, at least this proves EVO X DOES has "5 star" front impact rating! Rented a car and still went to see the Transformers IMAX few hours late based on the original plan lol. PS: AVIS charged me 500+ dollars for dropping the car at diff location for only two days rental... WTF

Anyway, I'm looking for a 2011 MR base now as my daily drive since the only one was gone. Called every corner of the country ,but could not find any BLUE MR base leftover unfortunately. Found a white one and they asked for 37k including shipping (about 600miles). Is it a good price??? Should I wait for 2012? Any news for 2012 evo? Need suggestion?

Thanks a lot!
May I suggest you go back to driving a Hyundai Elantra? Obviously the X is too much car for you, either by being too fast for you or you not being smart/careful enough for it. We already pay too much money for insurance coverage for these damn cars; dumb asses crashing and/or totaling cars out left and right while trying to impersonate Tommi Makinen are the main reason for high insurance premiums. If you do end up buying another Evo, try and keep the shiny side up this time...
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Well, what do the other MR's have? Navi? Aero kit? I would just wait till you find a blue one even if you have to pay a little bit more for a different package. 37k, which includes shipping, sounds like a good deal to me..

As far as 2012's go, since you don't have another car you may just need to get a 2011 since there is no news for a release date yet.
The one has no extra feature, just a plain base MR which is what I want except the color. oh, wait, the dealer did put some clear bar on the front for hwy protection tho. Well, I doubt there would still be a plain blue MR avaliable at this point since I did my research around...

Last edited by odin; Jul 7, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

good luck with the new car hunt.

my only comment is dont blame in on the car this sounds like 100 percent driver error, but I think you know that already.

glad to see your OK! hope you get a good deal out of insurance
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

How'd the advans take the hit?
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 10:36 AM

Damn, I don't believe everyone jumping on this poor guy. He just had an accident, his fault or not, it was an accident. We are all guilty of making mistakes.

OP, sorry about the accident, sounds pretty severe actually. Hope everything works out for you. Yeah, a squirrel is probably not worth risking a human life for or totaling your car, but, you tried to save an animal, thumbs up for that.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
How'd the advans take the hit?
There was no direct side impact, so the RZ looks all good except the scratches from the towing chain. But I can not keep them since the car was totaled.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Damn, I don't believe everyone jumping on this poor guy. He just had an accident, his fault or not, it was an accident. We are all guilty of making mistakes.

OP, sorry about the accident, sounds pretty severe actually. Hope everything works out for you. Yeah, a squirrel is probably not worth risking a human life for or totaling your car, but, you tried to save an animal, thumbs up for that.
Yeah seriously... stop flaming him. He just went rolling down a hill... I think he deserves some slack.

I was also a bit thrown off by the "S-AWC didn't work..." comment... but the general theme of the message is the guy had an accident and went rolling down a hill. People should be happy he's alive... not ripping into him.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for understanding! Was living in FL for too long, forgot how naughty those animals could be on the road...

Never said I have good driving skill. Also have not done any street racing and had clean history before, but did attend several SCCA auto-cross events at the weekend about a year. Still a novice for sure.

Last edited by odin; Jul 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Yeah seriously... stop flaming him. He just went rolling down a hill... I think he deserves some slack.

I was also a bit thrown off by the "S-AWC didn't work..." comment... but the general theme of the message is the guy had an accident and went rolling down a hill. People should be happy he's alive... not ripping into him.
Oh, Thx! Now I see what was the problem lol. I was just mentioning the S-AWC sys, did not mean anything else... It was on "Tarmac" mode tho since I was driving on state hwy in a good weather.
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed 100%, we've all done stupid stuff in our cars. This guy made a mistake and is freely talking about it, most people would try and point the blame at everything but themselves. Accidents happen, that's why we have insurance. A lot of your are quick to jump on this guy, but just wait and see how it feels when your day comes.

OP - Goodluck in your hunt for another X!
Old Jul 7, 2011 | 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Accidents happen, that's why we have insurance. A lot of your are quick to jump on this guy, but just wait and see how it feels when your day comes.
Been there, done that.

Atleast he is ok. Like he said, some people have been killed in similar accidents.

Quick Reply: Evo has GREAT saftey features for crash! And... I'm looking for a new X. Suggestions