Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Who switched from 6MT to a X MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for me, manual transmissions are becoming an aging novelty. the SST is loads of fun if you approach it without a biased hatred, and the performance is undeniable

and the Evo X is a computer on wheels. never understood the "raw connected feeling" argument. if I were to own a manual car to enjoy shifting, it feels more appropriate on lightweight, nimble cars imo (miata's, honda's, etc) because they're more appropriately "simple lightweight fun" to me. If I wanted "connected", I'd buy one of them; to enjoy every now and then

the Evo's are built almost for pure performance, loaded with some of the best performance technology - and I think the SST fits that theme nicely. It's just a bonus that it also makes DD more manageable

but this argument will never end so whatever. just try both, but at least try to have an open mind when you do
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:37 AM
Cat

And that's the key. Personal preference.

Frankly, it depends on what you want. As I said, for me, the TC-SST is better than the 5 and 6 speed manuals I've driven for the last ten years. I don't miss the clutch; I like having the paddles and the floor shift allows for up and down shifting fairly reminiscent of a motorcycle. But there are those who would miss the clutch.

Oddly, I get better gas mileage with the TC and I don't tend to drive as fast unless I mean it. I drive safer for the most part. But it did take me awhile to get used to no clutch. First time I drove the car I kept running the revs too high while I figured out that I didn't need to get off the gas for the shift. Once I got my head on straight it was a lot better, and I find the TC very similar in action, just without the feel of the clutch engaging gears through the pedal.

I think that's the real question you should consider. Do you need to feel that gear action through your foot to feel connected to the car? If so, go GSR.

Miao, Cat
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
never understood the "raw connected feeling" argument
What I like about the Evo X MR is that it feels like an Evo. It's tossable and feels a lot like my IX MR, but I don't have to shift if I don't want to.

Want to drive an unconnected car? Go drive a GT-R and compare it to an Evo IX. That's exactly what people talk about. The GT-R feels like you're driving a car in Gran Tourismo, but in real life. There's a level of "disconnectedness" between you and the road, you can't feel the road through the steering wheel and everything "just works" with very little feedback (brakes, shifting, grip, etc.). On the other hand, the Evo IX is very "connected". You feel the road and the car gripping through the steering wheel, you feel the brakes when you use the pedal, you feel the shifting through the clutch and the shifter.

The Evo X is kinda the best of both worlds. It has a lot of "connectedness" and "feeling" like the Evo IX, while incorporating a lot of the wizardry that makes the GT-R so excellent.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

i got the GSR coz im a die-hard MT guy too but after driving the SST i was truly impressed and wouldn't mind buying one for myself.. maybe it's an option for me to consider in the future. Dont listen to ppl say 'oh it's an auto haha blah blah' when they havent try it themself.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EXcel4600c
And one of the main reasons for theses transmissions is because the research shows that the standard manuals are not efficient. the hole dance of taking your foot off the gas, pressing the clutch, change gear, foot off clutch and back on gas pedal takes some a few tenth of a second and thats all it takes to decide whos the winner and not to mention the lapse in power to do the hole thing.
That's why there is no lift to shift. It's free and solves the problem.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steven
That's why there is no lift to shift. It's free and solves the problem.
exactly what i was saying with a little more words.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the exact same concerns as you before purchasing my MR man. 100% to the T.

However, I went and test drove and MR and I was hooked. I hadn't had any doubt in my mind when going to buy it and I haven't had any since... I love it!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:46 PM
Account Disabled

I enjoy my mr

@ auto cross using Super sport mode never fails me! always in the right gear.

Normal mode is well... not quite sporty enough for me... even normal mode while manually shifting..

Sport mode in the city is exactly how i drove my last car.. 3000-4000 rpm always in the boost always in the right gear for the city. No one EVER is able to cut me off.. if your beside them they can't cut ya off LOL Honk and Point like your telling them to get to the back of the line up!@!

Sport mode in manual is great b/c you can drive like your in normal mode (out of the boost) then a toggle of the shifter or hold down the paddle and it's in sport auto agian to accelerate your Kaboose off when theres a gap in traffic. Or tiny bit slower but more fun "tap tap tap till your in the right gear and vvrrroomm

If i'm in down town.. and i want to hear the psshh wirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I go in super sport mode manual second and theird gear pulls then off onthe gass always gets a pshh Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr of the turbo

I love it I really get annoyed of really loud exhausts and BOV's but the subtle pshh wirrrrrr sound is Grand!! ive always been a fan of sleepers though.. sadly Evo's are just the opposite.. Attension getters..
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:53 AM

Ive owned 7 cars in my life and my X is my first automatic. I was real hesitant on buying it but its SE model and I couldnt pass up the deal I got on it. It took me a few months to get use to it but I like it. I still got my Acura RSX 6 speed that I DD and only drive the Evo when I get annoyed with my stage 4 clutch.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:16 AM

Dang- its astonishing at how many people vote for the SST, it must be that great huh?

What about that actual mechanical side of the SST? Will it ever have some type of grinding issue that the MT's might have? How easy is it to replace the twin clutch? Just like replacing a normal clutch? I know that I've taken manual trannies apart before and had no "fear" of being able to reassemble them, but I myself and a lot of others won't touch an automatic transmission- how much closer is the SST to a manual than an automatic when it comes to the mechanical side of things?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by osnap
... but in the meantime I was just curious about what other enthusiasts think.
Since you ask, someone would have to amputate one of my legs to make me buy a car of this sort with an automatic. Good luck.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
/closed. Please search in the future there are 20 different threads just like this one.