Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X two step

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomBlack
Wow. That's quite a list of mods. I am thinking of going fp red as well. I am still on stock turbo but have Full Invidia tbe, k&n intake with uicp, ams ic & custom tuned @ Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer @ 321 awhp, 380 awtq. (29 psi) I expected better times with those numbers.
Hey I was there with my friend on his g35 and we came and ask you what modds you have. I was on the stands but it looked to me that you were not using 2step or revving the car before launching. Like snakes said, turn thr traction control off off, clutch in, gas all the way down and let the clutch out. You are not supposed to dump the clutch, got to slip it just enough so you don't bog down but not too much or you will smell clutch for 2 weeks. Launching the evo is a *****. Leaving on the last yellow will get you a good R/T. I was able to run 13.4 with a 1.8 0-60 just with a cat back and the ap stage 0 in Calgary at a higher altitud so you should be able to run closer to 13.0-13.2 I'll be heading to castrol as soon as my car is ready hopefully with a few more evos from Calgary!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 05:28 AM

Well, i would like to know another good tuner near Edmonton. I have been wanting to try another tuner. I can't post a pic of my dyno right now, I am @ work & damn iphone can't upload files. My peak torque is @ about 3300 rpms. My lines cross @ about 4250 rpms instead of the normal 5250 rpms. I will post my dyno later when I get home.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Are you guys saying that putting the ASC into off/off is required to engage the two-step?
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
No. Reads it from a speed and the clutch sensor. As far as i know. I am pretty sure my older evos had it too.
Exactly. (My question was half rhetorical and half an invitation for someone to dig the hole they were in a bit deeper.) In fact, I don't think that you need to put the ASC into plain off, either, in order for the two-step to be active. The only reason you turn the ASC off is so that the throttle-cut doesn't kick in while you're slipping the clutch.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by alex the great
Hey I was there with my friend on his g35 and we came and ask you what modds you have. I was on the stands but it looked to me that you were not using 2step or revving the car before launching. Like snakes said, turn thr traction control off off, clutch in, gas all the way down and let the clutch out. You are not supposed to dump the clutch, got to slip it just enough so you don't bog down but not too much or you will smell clutch for 2 weeks. Launching the evo is a *****. Leaving on the last yellow will get you a good R/T. I was able to run 13.4 with a 1.8 0-60 just with a cat back and the ap stage 0 in Calgary at a higher altitud so you should be able to run closer to 13.0-13.2 I'll be heading to castrol as soon as my car is ready hopefully with a few more evos from Calgary!
I did have my tc off, off. I only 2-stepped twice. I was trying to launch the way I do when leaving a traffic light quickly. Rev up to about 3500-4000 & slip the clutch, build boost & release quick. I take off like a sling shot like that, and I never smell clutch. But didn't have time to get it right. Even when I 2-stepped, I waited too long to pin the gas. Thanx for all the feedback. Maybe see you guys down there in the near future.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Snakes709
do you have a picture of the dyno graph. I'm not a fan of Cam's work. I think it would be better if you were making around 350hp and 350 trq. With those mods you can get more hp. the trq is the killer though and thats what you gotta keep an eye on. When do you get full boost?

As for your times, you need to get a 1.7 - 1.8 60'. If you learn how to launch it with the 2 step you can get a nice 60'. But you will need a clutch soon, haha.
I am not 100% sure but I think 3300 rpms I hit full boost. I know thats where my peak torque is & big torque is the result of high boost I think? I am not really partial to running 29 psi but, that's what made me see the #'s on the dyno. I would rather see higher hp for sure. Just curious what you meant. By "torque is the killer, keep an eye on it"? You know of a better tuner?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

would the transfer hold this launches???
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends if you really want to spend more money. Cam is known for making the tunes conservitive (safe). You can defently make more hp out of that tune, but he has your torque on the edge of being safe. The magical number that our rods go is around 400lb of torque. Some people get away with 430, some people blow up at 380. It depends how you drive and on the tune. Obviously if you are in 5th gear at 2000rpm and you go WOT you will blow your engine.

If you really do wanna spend more money and get another tune. Contact Clipse3GT on the forums. He will do ETunes with you. You will need a wideband gauge hooked up with a usb - serial adaptor so you can plug it into the laptop to datalog you will also need the tactrix 2.0 OP, Ecuflash and EvoScan. He will email you the tunes, you load them on, data log with evoscan and then send him the results. You will do that back and forth until the tune is done. He did my tune (still needs to be finished) we had to stop since my clutch is fried. But heres what my dyno looks like...

And what i ment about "low end torque" you dont want all your torque coming up to fast. You will most likely throw a rod if your max torque is to early, rather then later in the rpms.

The drivetrain can hold the launches, but just remember. The more power and the more times you launch the **** out of your car, the more of a chance you have at wrecking something. Thats why ill be going to the strip once with my car just to see what it does. If i do go again, i wont be using 2 step.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your X weighs 3811#?

I ask because some guy recently posted on a DSM-related forum that he's making 600 whp and backed it up with DSMLink file. Of course, not being an actual dyno, DSMLink uses the mass of the car (plus the changes in rpm over time) to estimate power. By telling 'Link that his 2G DSM weighed 6000#, he got 600 whp. His car weighs half that, so he was making 300.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 08:41 AM

Well, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that i may be in the dangerous range of tq. I have been tuned since 3000k on my odometer(2 years), i definately don't drive like a grandpa; if you know what i mean! Lol. Some good info here the last couple days. Much thanx.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PhantomBlack
I did have my tc off, off. I only 2-stepped twice. I was trying to launch the way I do when leaving a traffic light quickly. Rev up to about 3500-4000 & slip the clutch, build boost & release quick. I take off like a sling shot like that, and I never smell clutch. But didn't have time to get it right. Even when I 2-stepped, I waited too long to pin the gas. Thanx for all the feedback. Maybe see you guys down there in the near future.
Launching is hard since you have limited time due to the the tree light thing. Remember that you don't have to go as soon as it got green since your time won't move until your car starts moving so its better to set the 2 step and take your time plus it looks better when a camaro starts and you launch about 1-2 seconds later and still beat him

And when I was 100% stock I did the same as you, launched holding the RPM at around 4500 and ran 14.2 and when I used the 2step that same night with almost identical clutch technique I ran 13.8 so the 2 step does make a difference
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:38 PM

Ya, the 2 step is the way to go. I went again tonight to the track. My 60' time improved slightly but still just under 2 secs. 1.991 & 1.996. It was hotter & more humid & my car just felt sluggish. I ran a 13.649 @ 103.37 mph & 13.708 @ 103.15. I guess its not too bad considering my friend's 2010 Camaro ss manual ran a best of 14.3 & identical car in automatic ran 14.5.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I noticed red cars would not get any traction at all! Thats why the 2 boss 302 last friday were running 13.7-13.8. I just got my car back today at 5pm so I couldn't drive from Calgary because it was too late but I might be going next friday. Ill PM you. Hopefully snakes can make it too
Old Jun 2, 2012, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe it's the elevation but here in Vegas I run 12.9@106

My mods are
CAI, TBE, FMIC, UICP, LICP, springs and Cobb ap.

I launch at 4500, don't use the rev limit 5500rpm, I'm consistent at 13.1-13.6 but I ran 12.9 on perfect conditions.

Next time I'm at the track I'll try and use the revlimit.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Your X weighs 3811#?

I ask because some guy recently posted on a DSM-related forum that he's making 600 whp and backed it up with DSMLink file. Of course, not being an actual dyno, DSMLink uses the mass of the car (plus the changes in rpm over time) to estimate power. By telling 'Link that his 2G DSM weighed 6000#, he got 600 whp. His car weighs half that, so he was making 300.
lmao, he's full of ****. EvoX's is around 3800, depending which version you have. Also if you have a MR your going to loose more power in the drivetrain. With what pops up on there for the Evo weight and i add in myself and my gf in the car and subtract what i know lost weight....ie...my exhaust and other parts. It's usally around 3811. I been meaning to get my car on a actual scale.

Originally Posted by alex the great
Yea I noticed red cars would not get any traction at all! Thats why the 2 boss 302 last friday were running 13.7-13.8. I just got my car back today at 5pm so I couldn't drive from Calgary because it was too late but I might be going next friday. Ill PM you. Hopefully snakes can make it too
Well im hoping my clutch and CMM arrive next week. Soon as i get it, ill install it and get Clipse3GT to finish my tune, then ill hit the strip.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 09:01 AM

Yes. Sounds good. I would love to see snakes' run with that fp red! I would have to park my car & watch that one from the stands!

Quick Reply: Evo X two step