Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Already have E39 M5, thinking of also buying a Evo X...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Already have E39 M5, thinking of also buying a Evo X...

I currently use the E39 M5 as a weekend car and a 01 Lexus RX300 as my daily. My wife drives a X5. I'm thinking about selling the RX for a Evo X. the Lexus is comfy and reliable but boring.

I'm looking for a car that is well suited for the track and can take my kid to school with. My track skill is only intermediate. I've taken my M5(modded with camber plates, coilovers, rear sway) several times to the track and it does okay but it's pretty heavy and a big RWD car is kinda tricky with no electronic nannies to help you. I'm sure the Evo would do much better, especially with light mods. The Evo will also be cheaper to maintain than a M5...hopefully.

Should I sell the RX and pay an additional 10k for a Evo X or keep the RX and put some more money in the M5 like r-compounds, etc?

thanks for the input,

Scott
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sell both, buy X
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

do you like evo viii's or ix's? you can find one under 15k easy. I would highly recommend picking up an evo versus dumping money into the m5. A stock evo with good set of tires would romp on a m5 around the track.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Sell M5. let your wife drive the RX.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
do you like evo viii's or ix's? you can find one under 15k easy. I would highly recommend picking up an evo versus dumping money into the m5. A stock evo with good set of tires would romp on a m5 around the track.
Are Evo 9's under 15k already? I thought they are still hovering around 20k. I've seen Evo X's for around 24k.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

I think the X is a good fit for you. It will definitely yield more fun at the track if not make you a full blown track junkie. Also the X has AYC where the earlier models do not.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Get a Ten... seeing as how you have expensive Germans, a loaded MR Touring will be super-bling for when taking the kid to school, and track car for weekends

and get it Graphite Gray (lol I'm biased... my RA was GG)...

Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:10 PM

I think you'd be happiest with an X after driving BMWs and a Lexus the X is a lot more refined.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:07 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Gonna be a year in August that i've had my 10 WW Mr touring, kept it stock to save up some money for mods so its stock right now. It hasnt given me any problems at all and a buddy of mine has an M3 and just regular maintenance is way too much compared to the EVO.

I went with MR Touring for all the features and the laziness of SST. You can kick it to S-Sport and manuel at a red light if you really want to and switch ASC off to get the kick or just drive it normal with all the electronics on. I havent owned many cars, just 1 before this but driven a lot of em. Just wanna drive a GTR to see if it beats the EVO because so far not even a 360 Modena has cut the fun that I have with my EVO.

If you live near a well known performance shop you are pretty much set on modding it. Its pretty easy, just talk about the money. For me, i gotta drive to dallas which is 5 hours away and gotta leave the car for work etc... too much work for simple 1 or 2 mods which is why i am still stock coz I am gonna get all the mods done at once. But my point is, you can slowly build up your car if you either work on it yourself or have people near you

Test driving one is always good but if you have a friend that actually owns one and would let you drive it would be a better call. From what you are saying is that you want a track car and a dd at the same time. Well, just get the Evo haha.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

You're in an EVo forum. Of course we're gonna tell you to get an Evo! Lol. Test drive one. But a tuned Evo with light mods and a stock one is night and day! I would suggest, If you can, test drive a modded evo. It'll put a bigger smile on your face than what your driving now!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Evo 8 all day for track car
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Coming from a bimmer myself (325is) and others, i would recommend the X to you most definitely.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Sell both, buy X
+1
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

The M is going to be very expensive to take to the next level. Ditch the woman car stigma of the RX and snag the Evo. They are easy cars to push to the limit, unlike the M and are very rewarding to drive. Do the same mods to the Evo you did to the M and keep your warranty intact. Should be a great car to own. I'd buy new tho - save yourself the headache of buying someone elses problem child. Most used evo's on the market are bad apples.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Just my 2 cents: don't own two cars with similar purpose. In your case two heavy performance cars with AWD/RWD being the only key difference. I just sold my 2.5rs for just this reason, the only difference in my case was weight and power and I was about to blow a ton on a swap. Pick one car and sell the other. Then buy a Jeep or something!

Quick Reply: Already have E39 M5, thinking of also buying a Evo X...