Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HKS BOV causing compressor surge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HKS BOV causing compressor surge?

I have a 08 GSR with an AEM Intake and HKS BOV. Thats it, the rest is stock. I hear a noise other than my BOV every time I shift at low rpms.I think it is compressor surge. When I shift at WOT, I don't hear it. I took it and had it tuned with force-fed performance in fayetteville, nc. The tune was able to get 291/298 Max. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem with the HKS creating compressor surge. What should I do? I don't have the stock BOV, the HKS was on there when i bought the car. Would putting a stock valve back on help?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you sure you are hearing compressor surge?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

i would get rid of the hks. get a forge rs. you will be able to adjust spring preasure unlike the newer hks valves.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:20 PM

the noise is a low tone and sounds like a growl like noise, sometimes it's louder than other times, but you really have to listen to hear it. Does compressor surge happen as soon as you let off the gas, at the same time as the BOV goes off? Because that is when i hear it. Would it be better to route the blow off back into the intake?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Compressor surge is kind of a fluttering sound when you let off the throttle. Every HKS SSQV I've had seems to cause it at low boost, but I've never tried changing it to recirc.

I think it's having to do with the piston not opening all the way. The SSQV is supposed to be a "dual stage" with a smaller weaker piston for low boost and then the whole thing for high boost. My guess is a naturally recirc setup doesn't make enough vacuum or something to trip the piston properly. I really have no idea, all I know is I had an HKS SSQV of various versions on my Subaru all in VTA mode and they often caused compressor surge.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

I had a HKS bov on my old IX. I liked it at first but I got sick of it and sold it.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

From all the research I ahve been doing a dual port option would be best. TurboSmart makes one that is being sold by a vendor here on the boards. I've got mine on order so I cant really give you a good heads up but when I get it installed I'll have a better idea of what its all about. Big fan of the HKS SSQV. Which one are you running by the way? The Version 3 or the new EVO X Specific Version 4?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:41 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a Turbosmart Dual port and it caused me problems
I run an HKS now, and it is fine. I took the whistle thing out. It flutters more when recirculated than not, so i just vent
A little compressor surge wont hurt you (that's what you're hearing). i just means there isn't enough pressure to push it all the way open, but it's still releasing pressure. As for adjustable, i have had a Turbosmart and a Greddy and I kinda thought they were a ***** to adjust. Too loose and it leaks, too tight and it doesn't blow off.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:59 PM

I am running the hks ssqv 4. Thanks for everyones responses. I think I am gonna get a new BOV, but I just don't know which one.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GSRwithRotas
Would it be better to route the blow off back into the intake?

Sorry, just saw this.

THAT is your problem. You MUST recirculate with the X. No two ways about it. Any BOV you run will cause you problems if you dont recirc. Thats why you're throwing codes too. The HKS is an awesome BOV, like i said, I've had em all, Greddy, Turbosmart, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:03 AM

ok, thanks for the info, i will recirc.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:59 AM

I've been running my HKS VTA with no issues at all. But I do know some people that threw codes while they had it. They switched to another BOv instead.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:56 PM

vta bov

What codes did you throw?