Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Recent purchase of 2011 EVO GSR...looked at WRX and STi's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recent purchase of 2011 EVO GSR...looked at WRX and STi's

I hope I made the right decision. Every article I read had the EVO winning vs the Subaru STi. The Subaru dealers didnt want to negotiate much on price and the Mitsu dealer gave me more than I paid for my 2010 RX8...I paid 21,567 and the gave me 22,700$ for it with 2000 miles on the clock. Then they gave me 1400$ off list on the GSR and 0% finance for 36 mos thru Mitsu financing.
Is there any reason to buy the Subaru? Im still having nagging doubts about my decision but I do love the EVO, it is spooky fast and gets alot of attention.
I never actually drove a WRX or STi.....did I miss something?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

No u didnt miss anything the evo FTW hands down
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

I had an 03 Evo, now driving 2011 WRX.
Evo is the way to go, you will never regret
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:41 AM

It's all personal choice but I've had a IX and X. Never a Subaru.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you're now part of the rare breed that drives this rare kind of vehicle. enjoy and congrats! btw post pics!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

I had two evos and one wrx. I dnt want to be biased because i love evos but the wrx was a better everyday car. It had as much power as any of my evos but it had cruise control as well LoL. I havnt driven the new sti so i cant say anything about it, however, IMO the sedan looks Terrible.

You made a good choice. The Xs are much better looking then the new sti. And you got a better deal on the evo man. Nice pick up now post some pics
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:37 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

You made the right decision and with an amazing deal like that, you can't go wrong! Congrats on the X!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Evo FTW.

STI are nice but that about it nice doesn't win races.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
The only good things to me about the STi are the 6-speed manual instead of the 5-speed, more cargo space, and I've always liked the STis exhaust sound. But I would give up an extra gear, a little trunk space, a some exhaust tone for a better handling, better looking, easier to mod car. The power is about a wash to me, so those are what it comes down to.

You made a great choice..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

I have both and after getting my Evo the WRX sits in the court. It was a fun car but the Evo is much more fun. More power can be made with simple bolt-ons and you don't have to worry about breaking pistons, tranny and a very large engine which is sometimes your worst enemy.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I was a hardcore Scoob fanboi big time, but always admired Evos (hence my member date). I've had several WRXs and love the old GD style STIs, and was looking to go with the newer +08 STI when they came out, until I drove one. They simply do not drive or feel like their anything "special". I kept trying to convince myself that the hatch would be more convenient, the 6 speed would be better, and the daily comfort would be more suitable for my needs but the car simply did not connect with me on any level.

I eagerly waited for the 2011 STI, only to be completely underwhelmed and disappointed. I thought maybe I could do some mods like coilovers, sways, bushings etc to get it to feel the way I wanted but then I'd be doing the same damn thing I did with my old WRXs, only to be somewhat satisfied. I actually found a dealer while out of town on business that let me drive an Evo X and it was over as soon as I pulled it out of the lot. Love at first drive. I didn't care about the trunk, the plastic interior, nothing. The STI comes no where close to the Evo in terms of feel and response. Most sports cars don't come close to the Evo 10s feel and response.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Having had a WRX and then an STi and then a Evo IX MR and now an Evo X MR, I'm pretty secure in saying I'd never buy another WRX/STi. Especially since the switch to the new body style. Beyond that, the engines don't accept tuning as readily and have more reliability issues when tuned (especially over the 4G63, the 4B11T still hasn't proven itself but so far seems good).

I'd get a Legacy or a Forester as a family car, but the WRX/STi leaves much to be desired.

- Patrick
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all of the great replies, very encouraging and informative!
This is truely an elite and rare machine we drive. Mine is the only one in my small suburban town of West Reading, PA.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I went:
06 STi
Lexus LS430
Range Rover
Evo X
Caddy CTS-v
Evo X

^^^^spot the trend?

you made a good choice.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Below are what I owned:
Evo 7 (JDM)
Evo 8 (USDM) sold
2011 WRX (My DD)
Driven:
2011 STi
Evo X

The 11STi feels much sportier than WRX but not as sporty as Evo. Evo has more responsive and sharper steering, AYC really help the car to rotate and bye bye understeer. If you are looking for pure performance then Evo would be the one.
Since I put 20k+ miles per year on my car I went with WRX. Decent DD and gas mileage (28mpg) but sometimes wish it has sportier chassis tuning.

If anyone looking between STi or Evo X, Evo would be 1st choice.

Quick Reply: Recent purchase of 2011 EVO GSR...looked at WRX and STi's