Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What is a reflash/Tune and what exactly does it do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a reflash/Tune and what exactly does it do?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I looked around a bit and didnt see an answer to my question:
So what exactly is a reflash tune?
Will it void my warranty?
What exactly does it do and what are the benefits hp wise?
What will it cost?
Thankyou very much for making me feel welcome so far!
Im new here and owning my first Evo for less than a month 2011 GSR.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Tune:

The most common method of tuning these cars now a days is a simple reflash. Evos have a few programs available for download that have tons of logging parameters and can be used to log and tune these cars. Any evo tuner can do this for you or you can do everything yourself with a laptop/Tactix cable/programs. You can get the car street tuned or dyno tuned. Either way, a tune is the true way to unlock the potential of an Evo. It gets you the most out of your mods and allows proper adjustment for fuel/boost/etc. Bottom line, GET A TUNE!!!

- I only mentioned a reflash because it is the most sensible option for someone new to modding
- Search the forums for tuners in your area or those that offer mail in flashes.
- Increases power as well as gas mileage.
- A TUNE IS THE MOST WORTH WHILE MOD FOR THIS CAR - WHETHER YOU INTEND TO MOD IT OR NOT!!!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Ok but what exactly does a reflash do to the engine or computer?
Approximately what will it cost ?
And will it void my factory warranty?

Last edited by formerRX8owner; Jul 24, 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: being more specific in my dumb questions
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

everything, search
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by formerRX8owner
Cost is generally a couple hundred $. Timing advance, air-fuel ratio, boost, and MIVEC settings are the main things changed during a tune. It won't automatically void your warranty, however dealers may blame engine troubles on the tune if they find out it's on a non-OEM tune.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks raptord
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A "tuner" will have access to communicate via obd2 port to your computer and change and modify values like a/f ratio, timing,boost,etc in order to optimize performance.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Wow, that's quite a list of cars owned. Not counting those of my spouse, I've own seven vehicles in my lifetime and I'm 65.

49 Chevy
55 Chevy
67 VW Bug
70 Ford Maverick
78 Pontiac Trans AM
92 Plymouth Laser
2003 Evo
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

A tune is changing the settings on the car's computer. This is saved as a "map," or new settings file. It will cost $300-$500 to get a professional to tune your car and it's worth every penny. I got my 08 GSR tuned and it gained +53 whp with no mods lol. Some tuners have gotten ridiculous gains -- TTP Engineering in Florida has seen 70+ hp gain with no mods after a tune. The car drives ok before, but if you want to get a boner in your car everyday, get it tuned. The car will absolutely throw you back in your seat and rock your world in 0-100 afterwards. It's the best money spent.

Gas mileage wise, there is little to no change. I got 240 miles per tank before, and 240 after.

It will void your warranty at a lot of dealerships even though by law it's not supposed to. Who cares about the warranty though -- they will try to dick you out of a repair no matter what, just because it's an Evo.

Last edited by Laz; Jul 25, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Laz
A tune is changing the settings on the car's computer. This is saved as a "map," or new settings file. It will cost $300-$500 to get a professional to tune your car and it's worth every penny. I got my 08 GSR tuned and it gained +53 whp with no mods lol. Some tuners have gotten ridiculous gains -- TTP Engineering in Florida has seen 70+ hp gain with no mods after a tune. The car drives ok before, but if you want to get a boner in your car everyday, get it tuned. The car will absolutely throw you back in your seat and rock your world in 0-100 afterwards. It's the best money spent.

Gas mileage wise, there is little to no change. I got 240 miles per tank before, and 240 after.

It will void your warranty at a lot of dealerships even though by law it's not supposed to. Who cares about the warranty though -- they will try to dick you out of a repair no matter what, just because it's an Evo.

+1 Ditto
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Laz
A tune will absolutely void your warrenty on the engine and by law, it's suppose to. By changing the 'tune', you're changing the calibration which was tested for reliability. Once the calibration changes, Mitsu is not responsible for any engine damage. Add too much timing and leaning the A/F too much will destroy the engine in quick order. They can also void the drivetrain too because the engine will be putting out more torque/hp than stock, beyond what the drivetrain was designed for.

It can not void unrelated parts like brakes, suspension, stereo, window motors, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
A tune will absolutely void your warrenty on the engine and by law, it's suppose to.
This.

Originally Posted by formerRX8owner
Questions to ask yourself:

- If horsepower gains from a tune are so cheap and easy, why does Mitsubishi itself not do it?

- How many of the people who will sell you a tune will warranty your engine against damage?

- Of the people on this forum who have reported blowing up their engines, what percent were tuned?

If you do more research, you will find that the questions above are all related.

(Note: the FQ cars sold in the UK are not actually products of Mitsubishi. They are tuned and warrantied by the UK distributor for Mitsubishi.)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid $450 for Open ECU tune. I gained 57whp/40wtq. As long as you don't constantly beat the s out of the car you will be fine.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
my advice would be get used to your evo for a few months.

give it time to settle in and anything that "might" break, break...

then start modding...

the biggest advice I can offer is find a tuner that is good - there are lots of bad tuners out there...

some intentionally bad (read slack), some unintentionally bad (read not knowledgeable)...

to get the most bang for buck, you wanna put a HiFlow Cat in and maybe a catback and then get a tune... You should be putting out a just under 300whp on a low reading dyno...

your warranty will disappear, however that should only affect drivetrain - It really depends on the dealership, it sounds like you are a bit older so you might get away with it.

I reckon out of the thousands of tunes on "stock" evo's out there I have probably heard of less than a handful with problems...

cost wise, anything less than $250 is a bit suspicious... Anything over 1k is a rip... Road Tuning is cheaper than Dyno Tuning... And unless you have the right equipment isn't going to get you the best result...

Lastly - A tune will transform the car, not tuning an Evo should be considered a crime...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
my advice would be get used to your evo for a few months.

give it time to settle in and anything that "might" break, break...

then start modding...

the biggest advice I can offer is find a tuner that is good - there are lots of bad tuners out there...

some intentionally bad (read slack), some unintentionally bad (read not knowledgeable)...

to get the most bang for buck, you wanna put a HiFlow Cat in and maybe a catback and then get a tune... You should be putting out a just under 300whp on a low reading dyno...

your warranty will disappear, however that should only affect drivetrain - It really depends on the dealership, it sounds like you are a bit older so you might get away with it.

I reckon out of the thousands of tunes on "stock" evo's out there I have probably heard of less than a handful with problems...

cost wise, anything less than $250 is a bit suspicious... Anything over 1k is a rip... Road Tuning is cheaper than Dyno Tuning... And unless you have the right equipment isn't going to get you the best result...

Lastly - A tune will transform the car, not tuning an Evo should be considered a crime...
with this said, i am glad i got with golden and learned the in's and out's of tuning. it really forced me to learn a lot about the car. There is tuners that just use a cookie cutter tune for anyone that comes in, and that is complete bs.