Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rear crash bar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear crash bar

Ive done many searches for a lightweight crash bar and surprisingly cant find one. Xtremeboost had a great aluminum piece that shaved over 30lbs off the car but not sure what happened to them. I would consider removing it all together if I knew it had no effect on the structural rigidity of the car.

So my question is, anyone selling one? or maybe more importantly why isnt this more common of a mod? Im hooked on removing weight from these porky beasts and successfully removed 120lbs, but want to keep going!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Good luck with getting insurance to cover the damage if you're ever rear-ended. They'll look at your illegal modification of federally mandated safety equipment and just laugh at you.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Good luck with getting insurance to cover the damage if you're ever rear-ended. They'll look at your illegal modification of federally mandated safety equipment and just laugh at you.
while this is totally possible, I've never heard of it actually happening

have you? maybe people who remove the crash beams just don't get into accidents
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Montu
while this is totally possible, I've never heard of it actually happening

have you? maybe people who remove the crash beams just don't get into accidents

IDK?

you should let us know how you are saving 120Ib's. hope its not rude for me to ask?

Last edited by EvoXcrzy08; Aug 8, 2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: type-o
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoXcrzy08
IDK?

you should let us know how you are saving 12Ib's. hope its not rude for me to ask?
no, not rude...I have coilovers, ams lighweight battery, spare and crap removed from trunk, and basically no exhaust system.

Unfortunately, no one has provided any new information to what I asked. I was already aware of any potential insurance risk...just more importantly would like to know if the rear bumper bar provides any structural rigidity and why or where are there any lightweight aftermarket ones likes xtremeboost used to have
Old Aug 6, 2011, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Structural rigidity no, crash protection yes.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

getting rear ended with a lesser crash bar will affect your structural rigidity.

there have been a few threads in the I-IX section of people wrecking their cars without front crash beams because of fmic. they were probably merged into the car wreck thread though.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question you have to ask yourself is do you think you will ever get into an accident in a parking lot going <7 mph and it be your fault. For me, it's no, never! You could easily reinstall the beams and whack them with a mallet before the insurance adjuster looks at your car.

These beams serve no purpose except to protect the car in low speed fender benders <7mph. The US is the only country that mandates these beams.

Last edited by mithrandir7533; Aug 6, 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
You could easily reinstall the beams and whack them with a mallet before the insurance adjuster looks at your car.
and this is why insurance goes up due to claiming stuff from insurance company with your own mistake... ie, removing the rear crash beam

to the OP: think about it this way, if you have any passenger at the back, and God forbid, you go into an accident which involved you getting hit from behind... dont you think you wished you wouldnt have removed that beam? besides, some electronics are screwed onto the beam... so's the license plate lights.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 01:38 PM

WOAH WOAH WOAH... These beams help stiffen the chassis before and after the front and rear axles respectively. Not the tortional stiffness you're worried about. That Said, these bars SAVE YOUR LIFE. they distribute the forces of an accident to the frame rails of your car. The rails are made of sheetmetal and have built in crumple zones to absorb impact. Having a bar there ensures that your car can act appropriatly in an accident.

Has no one else thought about the other reason the bar is soo heavy??? It is actually weighted. This is done for better weight distribution front to rear. Trust me, no car company uses extra material in manufacturing for no reason...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lucke24
Has no one else thought about the other reason the bar is soo heavy??? It is actually weighted. This is done for better weight distribution front to rear. Trust me, no car company uses extra material in manufacturing for no reason...
No.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:04 PM

This is actually a pretty common mod in the STI community. As far as the STI goes, the part provides little value (other that crash protection...)
Old Aug 6, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
crash bar designed up to 25 mph as i remember. I can be wrong though, maybe less

Main purpose of the crash bar to prevent the car when small, parking lot like accident happens. Which is a most common. There for it does only one job, save money for the insurance companies.
On the side note i never saw a proven case , when insurance company denying an Evo because the missing crash bar. /i am around about 8 years in the USA with the EVo community/

My personal experience i did totaled my IX at the rear too and the front , I didn't had a crash bar neither on the front and the rear.
Insurance company didn't care. My car was checked by two different insurance company and two investigator from one insurance company.

Rob

ps: the crash bar is an exclusive USA design, which will be very obvious as soon as you take it off...LOL
Nowhere else they using it. The car didn't got designed with it, neither balanced with it. The US crash bar has nothing to do with an EVO, period.
It is basically a handy cap solution for the USA regulations, to being legal to sell. Nothing more nothing less.
It is attached to no frame structural point or anything is solid were could make more structural stiffness. It is basically a same project as a UK rear fog light.
A clear under engineered handy cap solution to be legal to sell for the target country.

if have a time or willingness LOL

FEDERAL
MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETY STANDARDS
AND REGULATIONS

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/index.html

this is one of the bumper regulation for the USA:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/s...per/index.html
here is the Automobile safety in the Wiki and then you can link over they sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_safety

but keep in mind for an example , the Lotus has no crash beam what so ever.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 6, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
crash bar designed up to 25 mph:

quote from the "rear impact guards , STANDARD No. #223."
"Standard No. 500 - Low-Speed Vehicles
(Effective 6-17-98)
This standard specifies requirements for low-speed vehicles. A low-speed vehicle is a 4-wheeled motor vehicle, other than a truck, whose attainable speed is more than 32 km/h (20 mph) and not more than 40 kmlh (25 mph). The standard requires ten specific items of safety equipment."
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...dex.html#SN223

Main purpose of the crash bar to prevent the car when small, parking lot like accident happens. Which is a most common. There for it does only one job, save money for the insurance companies.
On the side note i never saw a proven case , when insurance company denying an Evo because the missing crash bar. /i am around about 8 years in the USA with the EVo community/

My personal experience i did totaled my IX at the rear too and the front , I didn't had a crash bar neither on the front and the rear.
Insurance company didn't care. My car was checked by two different insurance company and two investigator from one insurance company.

Rob

ps: the crash bar is an exclusive USA design, very clear as soon as you take it off...LOL
Nowhere else they using it. The car didn't got designed with it, neither balanced with it. The US crash bar has nothing to do with an EVO, period.
It is basically a handy cap solution for the USA regulations, to being legal to sell. Nothing more nothing less.
It is attached to no frame structural point or anything is solid were could make more structural stiffness. It is basically a same project as a UK rear fog light.
A clear under engineered handy cap solution to be legal to sell for the target country.

if have a time or willingness LOL

FEDERAL
MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETY STANDARDS
AND REGULATIONS

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/index.html

this is one of the bumper regulation for the USA:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/s...per/index.html
here is the Automobile safety in the USA link to Wiki and then you can link over they sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_safety
but keep in m'ind for an example , the Lotus has no crash beam what so ever.

Excellent post, thanks. nice to have some solid common sense advice unlike the same old "good luck with the insurance to cover it" comments.

Quick Reply: Rear crash bar