Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone plasti-dip'd the roof? or other painted area?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone plasti-dip'd the roof? or other painted area?

I saw a video of a subie that was murk'd out entirely with plasti-dip and it looked good. While i have no intentions of painting my whole car, especially in plasti-dip, i have been considering doing my roof and thought it would be a really good idea to first see it with plasti-dip to get an idea of how it looked.

I did plasti-dip my power steering line, but that isn't really a painted area.

here is my car now:
DD

track

how do you think it would look with a black roof, and if you have done it to a painted area, how did it turn out/come off?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:56 PM
T6
Evolving Member

I dont think it would be bad with all the blackened parts you have. Not sure about plasti-dip but CF would look good.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it would be hard to paint it evenly- u will probably end up with runs or darker spots. and it will probably take 10 cans to perfect lol
Old Aug 5, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

The spray on plasti dip works nice. I coated my badges in it. the way it dries in the sun helps smooth out any unevenness
Old Aug 5, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T6
I dont think it would be bad with all the blackened parts you have. Not sure about plasti-dip but CF would look good.
Originally Posted by total0wnage
i think it would be hard to paint it evenly- u will probably end up with runs or darker spots. and it will probably take 10 cans to perfect lol
i think you are both right. if i like it, i am going to have it painted by a pro either flat black or gloss black. if i don't like it, i will just peel it off!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

I have done emblems and grilles with Plastidip. Works like a charm and dries evenly. The problem is that there will be a texture to the paint as it does not dry as smooth as enamel. The good thing is that it can be peeled off if needed.

I have a WW 2011 GSR and have thought about having the roof done in a vinyl wrap, either faux cf or a matte black. Whatever you do, you have a sick car there. I love it!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

If you let it sit out in the sun while it drys it should dry pretty smooth... at least mine did on the badges
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:02 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

I've only done my front emblem and it came out very good.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

i think it would look good with the di-noc carbon vinyl on the roof looking into doing it on my lX
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

I would do what others have suggested and just get the roof painted or wrapped.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:40 PM

it would definitely look nice with black roof.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

be careful. i've done some research and apparently it can cause damage to paint. i think it was a g37 forum. some guy plasti-dipped his entire car. got sick of the look and removed it using high-pressured hose and it peeled off the paint a little. obviously, some of the blame falls on the high pressure hosing. but still, u never know.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImEv0
be careful. i've done some research and apparently it can cause damage to paint. i think it was a g37 forum. some guy plasti-dipped his entire car. got sick of the look and removed it using high-pressured hose and it peeled off the paint a little. obviously, some of the blame falls on the high pressure hosing. but still, u never know.
you are def supposed to peel it off lol.

either way, i did it, and it looks great. Think i am going to get it painted in the coming months.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ImEv0
I do. I plasti dipped a ton of stuff, it's fine. If you're gonna blast your paint with enough pressure to take it off, you're an idiot. Which explains the G37. Anyways, moving on...

It doesn't run, you'd have to try hard to mess it up. It peels off like a fruit rollup. I redid my hood vents with it, looks great, goes the car washes, no problem. Did the center scoop, thought it looked like hell so i peeled it off. Not with a pressure washer tho, just by hand, like claying.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:07 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Countrystrong11
i think it would look good with the di-noc carbon vinyl on the roof looking into doing it on my lX
or it would look like you're a ricer that put a big carbon fiber sticker on his roof

Quick Reply: Anyone plasti-dip'd the roof? or other painted area?