Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

looking at 2011 GSR, SS package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
If you want to be cheap get a DSM or an early VIII. I don't see the point in ruining a nice brand new car with inferior generic knock-off parts.
+1 well said...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
^Crap kits are crap. Electrical is not something to go cheap on.
i agree about not cheaping out on electrical...however i disagree when it comes to HID's.

Never once have i had issues with 2 cars and a bike with $35 HID kits....soon as i switched to $250 kits...both the kits i bought were having issues. $500 down the damn hole...and yet the 2 cars that are now sold...i been talking to the new owners, both kits are working perfectly and my bike still works perfectly..never had one issue with cheap kits.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Just because you haven't had an issue doesn't mean others haven't. There are many reasons they are cheap: no R&D costs, low quality control, manufactured in a cheap area, OEM is usually more expensive than aftermarket.

One of my friends who's pretty deep in the Nissan community bought some "good" aftermarket HIDs, toasted his whole wiring harness in his 300z. I'm glad you've had good luck, but as a general rule of thumb it can lead to trouble.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 06:42 PM

On my previous car - 350z, I had issues with a $100 aftermarket HID kit. It was working great and then after winter storage, it took 5 mins with the high beams on to turn on. Stored the car and the next spring it worked fine
Old Sep 7, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm surprised how many people here don't realize that 2011 GSR's come STANDARD with the high-wing. there's like two pages worth of mentions of it being a benefit in the "SS" package

anyway it's all personal need/want based:

- HIDs are the kicker; a quality retrofit will still be hundreds cheaper, even if you paid someone else to do it - but you could easily SELL those OEM projectors, pay for a retrofit on halogens, and still have money left over; I've only seen maybe one or two pairs of OEM projectors for sale - they went for really high prices, yet sold instantly

- Rockford Fosgate is pretty "meh" quality wise; This is mostly a personal thing though; everyone interprets sound quality differently; I personally think of this system as a third wheel "added plus"

- FAST Key; in my Ralliart (which had it standard), I loved it. But over time I started to realize - not everything in the world is keyless. I STILL have to pull out my keys to unlock/lock-up at work, sometimes lock/unlock the house. Pretty much half the time I'm going out to my car, I'm pulling out my keys ANYWAY. With the Ralliart, I'd lock the door at work as I left, and then put them in my pocket as I got to my car...felt silly. I also ended up pulling out my phone everytime I got in the car for music (via Bluetooth streaming audio, which you can't control from the steering wheel/dash) - so even WITH fast key, I never seemed to avoid reaching in my pockets for something. And there's something satisfying about walking towards your car and pulling out the dagger-like Mitsu "normal" key
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

I got the base GSR with aluminum shifter and love it just as is. HID, to me , isnt necesary at all and the stock stereo is decent enough. No worries.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by glamcem
you'll see aftermarket projector headlights for Evos cost around $1100 whereas the other projector headlights(for different brands) priced at $300-500 .
Am I missing something? what is so damn special about the Evo headlights?
The Evo HID's are both low and high beam. The 350z were low beam only. I think if you check other cars that are BOTH they charge a lot more.

There was another comment from someone else about just being a cheap ***. Seriously dont buy an EVO if your gonna be like that. Evo's are fun to drive, fun to mod, but it's expensive. Maintenance for Evo's is expensive compared to other cars. If your this cheap about some freggin headlights, then you the more than likely the type that would use walmart motor oil, and stretch those oil changes to 10,000 miles, drive your tires to the nylon cords, and use duct tape and a coat hanger to secure your Midas muffler to your car.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Some thoughts now that I've had the car (GSR-SS) for 2 months...

RF audio-

The sub is fine, it's nice having OEM fitment and still have trunk utility. The amp however is not adequate. The sub is underpowered and can't keep up. Songs will start out thumping, then drastically drop bass out, and I'm not referring to the auto volume attenuation, turn that off as well. I'm going to replace the amp with something better.

The head unit is fine as an interface, but they obviously didn't do much testing/use cases. Why does a USB connected device (iPod) need to reload EVERY time the ignition is turned off/on? If you have a large capacity iPod/iPhone you get to sit and wait a few minutes before music will play. And there's no memory for where you left off, the song starts over if you turn the car off/on. I'd consider a new head unit, but I don't really want to go with an aftermarket dash trim piece. :-\

The stock speaker locations are fine, I'm actually surprised by the sound stage. Some really good center vocals with a wide stage in the dash.

HID-

I don't have any first hand experience with aftermarket HID systems, but OEM HID is the only thing I would personally consider. Especially since it's a safety issue. Headlights not working at any time is unacceptable, I don't care if it saved me a couple hundred bucks. All it takes is one night driving home on the highway and one or both headlights go out? F- that. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for that peace of mind and a warranty.

FAST Key-

I never take my keys out of my pocket. My office uses a card reader, I use a garage door opener at home. For my situation, FAST is perfect. Your results may vary, however.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:51 AM

Ss ftw