Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Where to begin...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to begin...

Well I came over from a 2010 STi and got a good deal on a GSR. Where is the best place to start mods on these cars? I have searched a bit and people start all over the place from intake, to exhaust, to intercooler so I have no idea where to begin. With Subies, we started with Cobb AP but I don't know how necessary those are for these cars.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Get an exhaust, intake, mbc, and a flash tune.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yerp ^ thats square one
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't get mbc, it is plain unneccesery for the X, besides the other problems with it for start. The X has a perfect ecu boost control. Instead of the MBC get a 3 port soleniod valve.
The rest I agree. Intake exhaust and tune . Then you should be set for the later stage 2 upgrade.
Rob
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:27 PM

Anyone know of a good tuner in Socal? I believe HBspeed and Yimi sport do evos. I don't know how good they are. Yimi is great for Stis
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alexandertg4
Anyone know of a good tuner in Socal? I believe HBspeed and Yimi sport do evos. I don't know how good they are. Yimi is great for Stis
If you're in SoCal check out the Socal evo site =) lots of information there for ya.

Some recommendations i can give are: Rallinspired, Looney Tuning and RRE. I'm not gonna say which is best because it would extremely biased since i got tuned by one of them.

Oh and HBSpeed is now Cobb Socal.

To answer your question about where to begin though, I'll drop my 2c: I would suggest going for suspension and wheels before going power mods. I kinda regret not doing this first as i got a good deal off of all my AMS bolt-ons, but going fast in a straight line doesn't do it for me =(
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by LiQuIdCrAzN
If you're in SoCal check out the Socal evo site =) lots of information there for ya.

Some recommendations i can give are: Rallinspired, Looney Tuning and RRE. I'm not gonna say which is best because it would extremely biased since i got tuned by one of them.

Oh and HBSpeed is now Cobb Socal.

To answer your question about where to begin though, I'll drop my 2c: I would suggest going for suspension and wheels before going power mods. I kinda regret not doing this first as i got a good deal off of all my AMS bolt-ons, but going fast in a straight line doesn't do it for me =(
Yea I am considering wheels but I can't decide on what I like better. I definitely want to drop the car a little bit but doubt I will throw down for coilovers quite yet.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Go see Jon Drenas @ SoCal Cobb. He's done some remote tuning for me and I have nothing but positive things to say about him and his work.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea I would go to SoCal Cobb.. intake isn't extremely necessary this early. It would be better imo to do.. UICP, catback and HFC, and then, depending on how much you can spend an intake too.. 3-port if you want, but again it isn't REALLY necessary yet. Then get Cobb to tune it..

You should be asking yourself, what are your goals? What power do you want to make? Is this a DD? I would add springs to the list for looks too.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:40 PM
Account Disabled

exhaust intake and bolt on stuff will do ..than a good tune will be need after that than go crazy and upgrade turbo ..if not u can make 400 horse on stock turbo but anything higher u want suggest going bigger
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Yea I would go to SoCal Cobb.. intake isn't extremely necessary this early. It would be better imo to do.. UICP, catback and HFC, and then, depending on how much you can spend an intake too.. 3-port if you want, but again it isn't REALLY necessary yet. Then get Cobb to tune it..

You should be asking yourself, what are your goals? What power do you want to make? Is this a DD? I would add springs to the list for looks too.
400hp/400tq would be awesome. The car isn't a daily for me. I'd like to keep the stock turbo as long as possible. Does Socal Cobb only do AP Protunes?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ugakirk

Does he need to worry about boost spike with UICP and catback without a 3 port or MBC? I only ask cuz I'm in the same situation. Don't plan on getting a tune till winter so a 3 port is out till then so was going to go with a MBC to keep things in control for the meantime. But if this isn't necessary...

Sorry for the thread jack but thought it might relate.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by J Dog
Does he need to worry about boost spike with UICP and catback without a 3 port or MBC? I only ask cuz I'm in the same situation. Don't plan on getting a tune till winter so a 3 port is out till then so was going to go with a MBC to keep things in control for the meantime. But if this isn't necessary...

All good, I am just trying to get all the info I can.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by J Dog

I would say you should be fine. The boost spike shouldn't be bad with just a catback and UICP. Most members on here run MANY more mods without tunes. I wouldn't ever put any kind of boost controller on without a tune though, just in case.

Most people aren't using MBC's on the X. They work ok, most people go with 3-ports and thats what I would recommend too.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by alexandertg4
400hp/400tq would be awesome. The car isn't a daily for me. I'd like to keep the stock turbo as long as possible. Does Socal Cobb only do AP Protunes?
to get those numbers you need to go to Florida. they do miracles down there with minor bolt-ons..

Quick Reply: Where to begin...