Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

turboback and emissions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboback and emissions

i'm looking into getting a perrin TBE...finally after over 2 years of x ownership at basically stock (have AP).

i know it has a HFC, but i'm not sure if it's up to snuff. i'm good for ontario (canada) emissions testing for another year, but after that i think i'll have to get one every 2 years. will the HFC be up to snuff? if not, can i just get the performance shop to swap out the perrin downpipe w/HFC with the oem one?

in regards to warranty...i'm pretty much killing it right? i'm planning to get one final dealer service at 37,xxx KM (1st time replacing tansaxle, transfer case oil and checking sst fluids) and then going to the shop that's doing my upgrades for the oil changes.

i want more power, but keep the car relatively safe and in an emergency, put the oem exhaust back if i have to get warranty claim. love the sound from the perrin, but it's really killing me on whether to do a catback or get the dp w/ HFC.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:28 AM

Emissions testing depends on the state, California or Arizona and you are probably going to need to find a stock cat because they do a visual and probably know the difference between a stock and aftermarket cat. But the good news is I don't think it is a part of the downpipe and it is an easy swap. What I plan on doing is getting a HFC and saving the stock cat and swapping it back for emissions tests.

And yes messing with the cat will get you a voided warranty.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most emissions at least here in wisconsin no longer use a sniffer so as long as you dont have a CEL you will pass everytime here. And if your worried about your warranty y are you thinking of mods. In my understanding a dealership especially Mitsubishi is gonna find a way out of any warranty work if you have mods. IMO
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

I would be careful with the Perrin pipe since the downpipe and HFC are all one pipe. They arent two separate pipes like stock or every other exhaust on the market. So if you had to swap it for emissions you have to keep both the stock downpipe and cat. And swapping downpipes isnt exactly a picnic.
I would just get the catback for now and see if it still gives the sound you want. If you want it a bit louder then get the HFC from another company. Almost all exhausts are 3" and interchangeable.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

lol on the warranty...if youre worried about the warranty don't buy and evo, it expires on the test drive.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011MR_Lover
Emissions testing depends on the state, California or Arizona and you are probably going to need to find a stock cat because they do a visual and probably know the difference between a stock and aftermarket cat. But the good news is I don't think it is a part of the downpipe and it is an easy swap. What I plan on doing is getting a HFC and saving the stock cat and swapping it back for emissions tests.

And yes messing with the cat will get you a voided warranty.
How does removing the cat mess with your warranty? As far as I know, it shouldn't have any effect. Sure, the dealer might tell you it does... But they're probably lying. Research the Magnusson Moss Act. Not sure if Canada has a similar law.

Originally Posted by Gump
lol on the warranty...if youre worried about the warranty don't buy and evo, it expires on the test drive.
Again... The dealer is probably lying.

Anyway, back to the question about emissions. According to the Drive Clean site, your emissions test would be similar to what we have to do here in Arizona. You'll probably pass with a high flow cat but I can't say for sure without knowing the standards in ON. They don't say you have to have an OEM cat to pass the visual inspection, just that you have a cat.

I'd stick to a cat back exhaust with a seperate HFC and downpipe. That way you can swap the the cat to OEM if you don't pass emissions. We've got a few catbacks on sale right now, and if you wanted to order the exhaust + dp + hfc, I could give you a break on pricing. Check out our site. http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/e...ts-c-4246.html

Regardless of what you end up deciding, shoot me a PM if you need pricing on anything. We do offer an EvoM discount, btw.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vassili
i know it has a HFC, but i'm not sure if it's up to snuff. i'm good for ontario (canada) emissions testing for another year, but after that i think i'll have to get one every 2 years.
Actually that is incorrect. In Ontario, you only need to get an emissions test if your car is over 7 years old.

Since you have a 2008, you won't have to get it tested until 2015.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure about the Perrin, but I have the ETS HFC and passed a full-on dyno sniffer emission test in Colorado. All numbers were well under the testing limits.