Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is awesome. Glad they keep putting out positive press for the Evo.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racingguy13
Lame GTI and MINI?? Way to get your post count up but apparently you have not driven all these cars. Yes the GTI and MINI may not be as fast as the others, but... The article is about HANDLING... The Mini is not fast by any means but drives like it is on rails and the GTI is a hell of a handler as well especially compared to the CAMARO!! The Camaro is not as good as handling compared as the older Camaro. In fact the new 5.0 Stang is so much better that IT was put against the almighty M3 in handling and actually WON! Now it's definitely not a better car than the M3 by any means, but we are talking about one thing only here, handling. Not brand, not luxury, not amenities, not speed, not coolness..... handling. Now.... not every test is going to incorporate every vehicle that should be. Usually, especially with car mags, it's the newer and more well known, what is going to get someone to say WTF REALLY and buy it to read. All I'm saying is not everyone is going to be pleased by what is presented or the outcome. And please, the GTI is anything but LAME! That is all....

Since I test drove gti and drove my friend 2011 mazdaspeed 3 and I like mazdaspeed 3 better overall. I'm not saying gti is pieace of **** but I think it handles better.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cla2000
he mini, also fwd, and while it handles better than the gti, i don't think it can be better than a mazdaspeed 3 or the wrx.
Having first hand experience with MS3's, they do not handle well at all. The swaybar endlinks are forty leagues tall, and the roll center is a joke. I will say though that the steering in the MS3 is like the Miatas.. very nice.

The WRX and/or STI never would make a top handling list. I've been saying this for years and years - they drive like a school bus. I don't want to start an Evo > Sti thread, but there is a reason they didn't make the list - they don't handle anything close to an Evo.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:38 AM

I'm going to have to buy this magazine. I love being reassured how awesome evos are.

I wouldn't mind seeing how the evo compares to more expensive cars in a test like this.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 09:03 AM

The new mr evos dont have same tranny problems do they?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 09:03 AM

is the evo 10 mr faster or slower then the evo 9 mr?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:58 PM

Best handling car I ever drove was a Mazdaspeed Miati and the boost gave it reasonable torque. It was a very exciting car to drive and the steering feel was unbelievable even compared to the EVO.
Comparatively I thought the GTI did not handle very well. It's really pretty soft feeling. I like the looks of it a lot, and the engine is pretty good; it's a car I wouldn't mind owning as an all around package, but the Miati and EVO are miles ahead in most handling aspects.

I need to drive a mini cooper s. I know people who feel like they have the best handling (probably due to short wheelbase ) of any car they have driven. It's another car I could see owning as a 3rd car.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 08:03 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll say the same thing here as I posted on the other X forum. Numbers aside, based solely on driver feel, I'd rank the Miata first closely followed by the Mini, and then the X. Having driven all three, the Mini had the most profound effect on my automotive disposition. The thing is just so immediate and direct. It truly feels like it could rotate on its own axis.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 2, 2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 2, 2011, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

where's the sti?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T6
wtf is a mustang doing up there? I test drove both a gt500 (unrelated to this thread, i know) and the mustang 5.0. Both are terrible when it comes to fun to drive and body control. And breakaway behavior is higher than an evo? lmao...

I don't know what crack you smoke, maybe Witney Houston or Bobby Brown crack and I don't know in what planet or cave have you been.

Have you read any car magazine from the last year or so?, I guess no. The 2011 Mustang GT already beat the M-3 in two diffferent test, it beated it on everything incluidng braking, accelation, road course laps times, etc.

I am 200% (not 100%) that you don't even know what a Boss 302 is or the new laguna Seca package is. Please google it then go back and make a more accurate statements. As of today you have no clue of what the new Mstang GTs are capable in the track.

I bet you also missed the Cobalt SS Fornt wheel drive beating the Evo X MR on Virginia Lighting lap right? Read, it is all tested and proven, you are simply missinformed.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 2, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

That Mustang is pretty darn quick... walked everyone on the straights.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
T6
Evolving Member

I didnt read anything about the track times being compared on the article posted. As for the other mustangs, they are still mustangs ei: I would only get in one to take a dump. Not to mention the fact that the packages you are talking about are ABOVE 40k. Thus no point of having them in the article, actually i am 200% sure that you do not know how to read nor understand the point of the article that was posted.

As for being above 40k, yea mustang did this or that, do I even have to mention the 3 letters? G T R. As long as it is not a classic mustang it is not worthy of my time nor respect. If teethless white trash meth addicts are 30% of the drivers of a car, or thinking they are driving a veyron and take on everyone it annihilates the cars reputation for me. Similar things could be said about mitsus (rice rockets etc) but guess how many more mustangs there are? Like I said, I test drove the car that WAS in the article (which you utterly failed to understand or most likely not able to comperhand) and it was no where near as good as they posted. The only thing you could perhaps be right on is how both cars feel on the track which I have not experienced, however as a DD my point stands valid. Have yourself a good one before trying to **** on my yard or simply sell your car get your "uber" mustang and leave.

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I don't know what crack you smoke, maybe Witney Houston or Bobby Brown crack and I don't know in what planet or cave have you been.

Have you read any car magazine from the last year or so?, I guess no. The 2011 Mustang GT already beat the M-3 in two diffferent test, it beated it on everything incluidng braking, accelation, road course laps times, etc.

I am 200% (not 100%) that you don't even know what a Boss 302 is or the new laguna Seca package is. Please google it then go back and make a more accurate statements. As of today you have no clue of what the new Mstang GTs are capable in the track.

I bet you also missed the Cobalt SS Fornt wheel drive beating the Evo X MR on Virginia Lighting lap right? Read, it is all tested and proven, you are simply missinformed.

Carlos

Last edited by T6; Sep 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
You're neglecting to mention that the Cobalt was being driven by John Heinricy.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Is there any difference in the way the GSR handles vs the MR trim level? I know that the GSR is quicker 0-60.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mean4g63
miata's are straight up gay

Quick Reply: Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver