Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Miata only has such a bad rap in the states. same goes for Subarus (other than the STI)

some of you guys need every car to fall conveniently into these categories: macho / girlie / family. anything in between messes with your world view and is immediately dismissed

if you want to buy a track car and your nearby track is windy, you could do worse than an MX5 or an S2K

i wouldn't like one as a DD either though, because roadsters were never my thing. always preferred coupes or sports sedans

i wouldn't call an MX5 girlie though. unless it's pink
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by T6
wtf is a mustang doing up there? I test drove both a gt500 (unrelated to this thread, i know) and the mustang 5.0. Both are terrible when it comes to fun to drive and body control. And breakaway behavior is higher than an evo? lmao...
Whoa! I have driven the 5.0 and it is such a beast to drive. Honestly I have never driven an evo so I can't compare the two but the torque in the 5.0 is insane

And I could be wrong but don't the car companies sort of "offer their cars up to the magazine so they can get publicity? Maybe some of the car companies (subaru) didn't chime in?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cla2000
The sti and reg wrx are not on the lis, mazdaspeed 3 and camaro are missing as well. Ind i bet all those should be way ahead of the lame gti. And even the mini.
i dont think the camaro can handle like the mini or even the gti...

JC Works Minis are crazy on the track, vettes have trouble sticking with them.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:15 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by The New Kid
Whoa! I have driven the 5.0 and it is such a beast to drive. Honestly I have never driven an evo so I can't compare the two but the torque in the 5.0 is insane
The 5.0 is a lot better than the predecessors but no where near as fun to drive as an EVO. I did my comparison before I got modded as well, now the 5.0 is not even on my vocab :P
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:52 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Laughing at those saying the Miata isn't a sports car. The Miata is a quintessential sports car, and way moreso than any of the other cars in that test.

The Evo scored so high in ergonomics because if you read the article, they are referencing ergonomics as they relate to handling- seat grip, feel, and pedal placement.

I think C&D nailed this test. I don't like Zs, never have. They are held back by platform sharing, especially the engine. And the braking issue needs to be resolved.

I also agree that the GTI has no place in the test. They are great looking cars, but they are soft, and the undefeatable traction control is unforgivable.

I'm no Mustang lover, but you can't argue with that kind of power. By virtue of the fact it still is fastest on track even with a solid axle, it belongs in this company.

It's unfortunate that the newer chassis Mini have lost the feel of the older cars. Those handled loads better IMO.

Evo FTW! I really enjoyed the article and how deeply they backed it with tech.

To those arguing GSR/MR, the MR is faster on track, deal with it. I love my GSR and would never trade, but drive an MR hard and you'll see why they shine on track. They picked the right car for the test to ensure victory. The point tally was close enough to the Miata that the GSR might've gotten taken, but I'm unsure. I sure wish we GSR guys got those Bilsteins, rims, and brakes standard!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hibby
For model year 2008, the GSR was faster to 60.
For model year 2010+, the MR is faster to 60.

I've seen different test results, but I believe the GSR has sliiiiightly higher levels of grip.
I don't think MRs have ever been faster to 60. MRs are hobbled a bit on the launch with the 1st gear throttle/boost limiter

In R&T's sports car comparison they clocked a 4.3 with the GSR:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...lancer-evo-gsr

The fastest I've seen with an MR is 4.5.

Now if you take the limiter off, it makes a huge difference. The FQ-330 package in the UK removes the limiter and the 0-60 drops to 4.4 (I doubt much of that is due to 30 extra horsepower):

http://wot.motortrend.com/add-it-to-...peed-4487.html

Around a track the MR has been consistently quicker however.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

The fact is - sports car means different things to different people. For me, it's all about performance, handling, and the feeling I have driving it. A sports car is exciting to drive and pushing all the right emotional buttons when hammering it on straights and through corners.

I couldn't care less at that point whether the car has 2 or 4 doors, or what the thing looks like outside.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The Miata is a quintessential sports car, and way moreso than any of the other cars in that test.
This depends on your definition of sports car. Mine, and I think most peoples, ( Just my .02 cents) is FAST.. the Miata is not that. I have driven one. Sure they handle very, very well. They don't accelerate quickly, have a decent top speed, nor have reasonable brakes. Hell my wifes Honda Pilot kicks ones butt in a drag race from a light.

Once again... well agree to disagree and share a beer.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
This depends on your definition of sports car. Mine, and I think most peoples, ( Just my .02 cents) is FAST.. the Miata is not that. I have driven one. Sure they handle very, very well. They don't accelerate quickly, have a decent top speed, nor have reasonable brakes. Hell my wifes Honda Pilot kicks ones butt in a drag race from a light.

I was going with the actual definition of sports car, which has gotten distorted a lot over the years. Merriam-Webster says the term originated in 1928, and define it as "A low, small, usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving".

And I think Miatas are very fast when racing. A trip to your local SCCA region's autocross events will prove that.

I admit that Corvette fits the high-speed driving part better, but to me, the Corvette, Elise, and Miata are what a sports-car is by raw definition. It doesn't mean they are fastest than other cars, but it does mean they are true sports cars.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, speed is definitely a factor for me. If it's not fast it's not exciting.

And for me, there is nothing exciting about going around an autocross course in 2nd gear in a Miata. Yes it is impressive and they post great times, but you can't really compare that to a proper road course and the speed that goes along with it.

Just my opinion.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your definition of a sports car is a bit different here.

One that goes "FAST" is more of a Muscle car, which happens to be sporty.

A sports car is one that handles well and has proper driving dynamics. The more difficult the track, the more these cars shine because acceleration is not important there.

Many sports cars just happen to be "FAST" in a straight line but that's not what makes it a sports car. That's why a Miata is still a sports car, even though it's not really fast in a straight line.

The way I see it, it's easier to add horsepower to a car than proper dynamics and handling. Sure you can gut anything and make a purpose built car that will ride like hell and handle decent. I'd rather start with a car that is closer to what I desire and add power to that. I tried a built suspension on my Cobra and nothing really satisfied me. The Evo was so much smoother while already handling light years better. It was a no brainer. It would cost thousands to get the Cobra to handle on par with the Evo without sacrificing all the comfort.

The 5.0 Mustang in the Lightning shootout had 121 more horsepower than the Evo and was only 81lbs heavier. It still only managed to beat the Evo by 2 seconds and everyone was claiming that made it a better car. Really now? 121 more horsepower and it could only gain 2 seconds on a car that's only barely lighter. What do you think it would look like if both cars were given 50 more horsepower and set off to run the laps again? One car is clearly using handling dynamics to achieve lap times and the other is using horsepower to achieve lap times. I believe the Evo with 50hp more will show significantly more performance on the same track than the Mustang with the same horsepower increase. I feel like the Mustang is simply "masking" it's handling performance with a huge horsepower bump.

Regarding the Miata.... Who cares what it looks like or sounds like? Get a Muscle car with a throaty V8 if you want to turn uneducated heads. Everyone knows it's "FAST" when they see that Cobra Emblem or Z28 Badge... Miatas with roll cages and cammed out Evos always turn less heads unfortunately.

Last edited by acidtonic; Sep 5, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 03:44 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always tell people when they ask me what car or sports car I have, I tell them it is not a car nor a sports car, "its an evolution!"
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
The fact is - sports car means different things to different people. For me, it's all about performance, handling, and the feeling I have driving it. A sports car is exciting to drive and pushing all the right emotional buttons when hammering it on straights and through corners.

I couldn't care less at that point whether the car has 2 or 4 doors, or what the thing looks like outside.

For me it's all about handling. I could care less what is faster in a straight line; I want the one that sticks to the curves like glue because that is where the real fun is.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
...deleted...

Last edited by FJF; Sep 5, 2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: long night
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JonU

For me it's all about handling. I could care less what is faster in a straight line; I want the one that sticks to the curves like glue because that is where the real fun is.
Speed not important? Np, Sears has a sale on riding mowers. They aren't fast but they can handle well and you won't lose traction.

J/K

Quick Reply: Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver