Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Speed not important? Np, Sears has a sale on riding mowers. They aren't fast but they can handle well and you won't lose traction.

J/K
See what you do is you find a fast car with a hitch (I've seen some nice Mercedes with hitches pulling trailers ineurope). Put said riding lawn mower on a trailer and attach the trailer to the car. Get on the lawn mower and have a friend drive the car down a fun mountain road.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:32 PM

An Evo X is faster on...
A track, MR.
On the streets, GSR.

Can't beat how fast and smooth an SST tranny can shift on the laps.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Oh, great, now there's a '10 WW X owner from NJ on the Z forum who just registered to "represent" us.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by EvilRob
http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-g...temp-fail.html

Omg you guys should check out 370z forums and see how pissed off these guys are. One guy even states that the reason the 370z came in fourth is because one of the reviewers probably got dumped by an Asian chick, which begs the question why did the evo come in first Mitsubishi is still a Japanese company. God they are in such denial. Here is a couple quotes lol.

"If you look at the final results, they are just so subjective. Having driven a GT, it's nowhere near a Z let alone better in areas such as "chassis balance".
The EVO, while fast, is still not a sports car." -Xray

"I've now read the entire article and find the Z review to at least be accurate. However, C&D isn't consistent with how they judge the good and bad qualities of the cars in the test. The Z gets hammered for the brake feel, fade, and overheating. They call it 'not fun to drive'. Then the Evo wins the test and gets a 9 for 'fun to drive'. But tucked in the review of the Evo is the fact that it understeers and the transmission overheated. How does that make the Z a dog but the Evo a champ? Inconsistent reviewing/judging at best." -Spearfish25

""There's a lot of grip from the tires, but I'm not getting feedback from the contact patches."

"The 370Z handles pretty well. It's just not a very good car."

"Brakes are working without providing any real feedback beyond smell."

They just don't like the Z. It's like they all had Japanese girlfriends that dumped them in the past. " -Spearfish25

Then this guys posts this

"All these reviewers care about is race track performance. They dont mention a word about how it takes the bumps or how comfortable the seats are or the sound system.
They get some car out on a track at 130 mph and complain about the brakes or the oil system not handling that...Who drives that way in real life? "

So he basically bought a sports car but is bringing up how great of a DD it is, how soft the suspension feels, how plushy the seats are, and how nice the speakers sound. Wow just wow LOL
i seriously cant stop laughing at his. the day i buy a performance car for a SOFT suspension, speakers, gas mileage, squishy seats, or everyday driving is the day i put d!ck in my mouth
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
I agree, speed is definitely a factor for me. If it's not fast it's not exciting.

And for me, there is nothing exciting about going around an autocross course in 2nd gear in a Miata. Yes it is impressive and they post great times, but you can't really compare that to a proper road course and the speed that goes along with it.

Just my opinion.
Hmm... you obviously never raced in a spec miata then. Honestly the most exciting car I have ever road raced in, and this is coming from someone who use to race a formula scca car.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jsan1020
i seriously cant stop laughing at his. the day i buy a performance car for a SOFT suspension, speakers, gas mileage, squishy seats, or everyday driving is the day i put d!ck in my mouth

I have the MR touring, its heavier, significantly, than the GSR. Reason? Its got the things an older person like me wants... leather, heated seats, sunroof, sound deadening material for that more quiet ride, and yes the upgraded stereo, and NAV.

So I bought the more luxurious car even though I knew it was heavier, by a LOT. As a result I have thrown more money at it to be able to keep up with the the lighters EVO's

I wouldn't trade my EVO MR for any other model. Its the ultimate EVO for the street. Personally I don't care about the track. I know others do and I wish them the same level of happiness with their purchase choice.

Just an FYI.. I weighed my EVO X MR on the scales at 3656 and a good friend of mine's EVO 9 weighed in at 3173. It takes a load of HP to overcome 500 LBS.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 0100
Hmm... you obviously never raced in a spec miata then. Honestly the most exciting car I have ever road raced in, and this is coming from someone who use to race a formula scca car.
I have never raced in a Miata, I must confess I have never raced in any street going car; just carts. I have gone to many many races. Recently I have been to the amateur racing at local tracks and seen quite a few Miatas. The main reason I see people buy them is they are CHEAP, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, one guy told me straight up.. " I can buy a set of tires for 80 bucks"

I cant argue with you that there are people that obviously have fun with a Miata on the track. I'm thrilled that you and others enjoy your Miata's. After all you only live once and you should have as much fun as you possibly can.

But I know I have defrayed from the original article and reason for posting, bottom line for the use as a DD on the street, the Miata just isn't quick, or have any reasonable speed factor. No offense you cant say that it does. On the track... well I leave that to you.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:22 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1

I have the MR touring, its heavier, significantly, than the GSR. Reason? Its got the things an older person like me wants... leather, heated seats, sunroof, sound deadening material for that more quiet ride, and yes the upgraded stereo, and NAV.
<grin> If you don't mind, how old are you? I'm asking, because I'll be 48 in a few weeks. In all truth, buying a car with an automatic transmission, extra weight for luxuries that I wouldn't opt for if they were free, occurs to me about as often as oping for a voluntary castration.

The main reason I see people buy them [Miatas] is they are CHEAP, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, one guy told me straight up.. " I can buy a set of tires for 80 bucks"
I'm sorry; prorating an individual's comments per an entire automotive outlook (notice the aggregate scale) is a bit ambitious. And, no, you can't buy a set of decent tires for $80 for a Miata, a Mini, an old GTI, or any other lower-powered contraption that handles like it's on rails. It's a fact, not an opinion. All of this reaches quite a bit, seemingly, as a way to justify an individual bias. Coupled with one's orientation that seems to point at an automobile as an age-appropriate widget, makes one wonder how all this relates to the actual act of driving. That's why car guys buy Miatas. They buy them to drive.

But I know I have defrayed from the original article and reason for posting, bottom line for the use as a DD on the street, the Miata just isn't quick, or have any reasonable speed factor.
Heh, an Evo vs a Miata on the street in traffic, and the little car can run circles around an Evolution. I get the distinct impression that we come from two totally different words, automotively.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 6, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
Heh, an Evo vs a Miata on the street in traffic, and the little car can run circles around an Evolution. I get the distinct impression that we come from two totally different words, automotively.
I would love to see this
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:43 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chetrickerman
I would love to see this
As you seem to post just to take cowardly shots at me from the sidelines, how about you say something worthy of discussion, and then we can talk about it?

Last edited by FJF; Sep 6, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would love to see this
You can see it almost any time you wish; the only question is whether you have the nerve to face reality (as opposed to hide behind a keyboard posting nonsense). Take your Evo X to almost any autocross. See if you can keep up with the C/Stock Miatae.

I make fun of males in Miatae as much or more than most people. But I also admit to myself that when it comes to low-to-moderate speed handling, they're good. A stock Evo X is not going to keep up.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
As you seem to post just to take cowardly shots at me from the sidelines, how about you say something worthy of discussion, and then we can talk about it?
A coward would not say anything. I have already said my point time and time again, your just too stubborn to look at anything in any other way than your own.

Originally Posted by Iowa999
You can see it almost any time you wish; the only question is whether you have the nerve to face reality (as opposed to hide behind a keyboard posting nonsense). Take your Evo X to almost any autocross. See if you can keep up with the C/Stock Miatae.

I make fun of males in Miatae as much or more than most people. But I also admit to myself that when it comes to low-to-moderate speed handling, they're good. A stock Evo X is not going to keep up.
I do autoX regularly and I do see a lot of miata's there, but I keep up with them, more than half of the time beating them. But the only reason they do so well is because of the sharp turns they navigate like go carts, but on the straights I stomp them, hence the reason I said I would love to see them run circles around an evolution on the streets.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 AM

I do autoX regularly and I do see a lot of miata's there, but I keep up with them, more than half of the time beating them. But the only reason they do so well is because of the sharp turns they navigate like go carts, but on the straights I stomp them, hence the reason I said I would love to see them run circles around an evolution on the streets.
That does prove his point though. On a tight track/road where the horsepower can't be used effectively, the Miata/MX5 is a very hard car to beat. As much as I love a fast car, there is truth to the saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.". Everyone has their take though so to each his own I say.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
<grin> If you don't mind, how old are you? I'm asking, because I'll be 48 in a few weeks. In all truth, buying a car with an automatic transmission, extra weight for luxuries that I wouldn't opt for if they were free, occurs to me about as often as oping for a voluntary castration
I'm soon to be 43. Ferrari, Lambo, the GTR all have these luxuries, except the sunroof. You sound like a purist. I applaud that. As I said before we agree to disagree. If your ever in Texas, Dallas area, shoot me a PM we can grab a

Have a great one

BTW the MR isn't an automatic.. It's a manual it just has the option of allowing a computer to assist your DD
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JonU
That does prove his point though. On a tight track/road where the horsepower can't be used effectively, the Miata/MX5 is a very hard car to beat. As much as I love a fast car, there is truth to the saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.". Everyone has their take though so to each his own I say.
They are hard to beat, but not really hard. And I'm not really proving his point because he said that a miata would do circles around an evo on the street. And even not on the autoX course because when I was stock I was only 3-4 seconds slower than partially modified miata's. Three to four seconds is not doing circles.

I just can't get over its looks. Hards down one of the ugliest "sports cars"

Last edited by chetrickerman; Sep 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver