Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
I'm soon to be 43. Ferrari, Lambo, the GTR all have these luxuries, except the sunroof. You sound like a purist. I applaud that. As I said before we agree to disagree. If your ever in Texas, Dallas area, shoot me a PM we can grab a
It's really a pleasure to talk to someone with a similar interest, while coming from an alternate perspective. I don't get the opportunity too often.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chetrickerman
I just can't get over its looks. Hards down one of the ugliest "sports cars"
Any chance that your opinion of its appearance is playing a role in your opinion of its ability?

You are, after all, if you'll pardon the assumption, human.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Any chance that your opinion of its appearance is playing a role in your opinion of its ability?

You are, after all, if you'll pardon the assumption, human.
I would be lying if I said no, everyone has a bias. But I have seen how they perform and that also plays a part in my opinion towards them
Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool reply.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

iiunno about you guys but i owned a 370z and after 8 months i sold it. The oil temp and brake issue is bs. Evo FTW!! I'm actually really shocked the STi isnt there.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
I always tell people when they ask me what car or sports car I have, I tell them it is not a car nor a sports car, "its an evolution!"
I just tell people it's a performance car. It doesn't have all the qualities of a true sports car but it has the performance.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Snakes709
iiunno about you guys but i owned a 370z and after 8 months i sold it. The oil temp and brake issue is bs. Evo FTW!! I'm actually really shocked the STi isnt there.
I was kinda wondering the same thing about the Subbie. It may not be as sharp as some of the other cars, but it is still has outstanding handling. I wonder what the Subbie owners have to say about not being included.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:50 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Snakes709
The guys on the Z forum weren't thrilled with the brakes and the temp, as well. The spoke of changing the pads and adding a ~$500 oil cooler as a means of solving these issues. Did you try either and how did things work out?

Last edited by FJF; Sep 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: text
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The guys on the Z forum weren't thrilled with the brakes and the temp, as well. The spoke of changing the pads and adding a ~$500 oil cooler as a means of solving these issues. Did you try either and how did things work out?
I guess I'm surprised that the 370 took away the oil cooler... because the 2008 350Z that I had did have one.

Edit: Actually only the Grand touring and the Nismo for 2008 have a oil cooler, sorry. but apparently none of the 370s have a cooler. Its now integrated with the water coolant system.. kinda weak I see why the Z guys are upset.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Also, of note. I had 12.8 inch Brembo Rotors on my Z and if you get the right model the new ones come with 14's which are bigger than the EVO X.... are the ones complaining.... the ones that bought a base model car without the upgraded brakes? or are the Brembos what they are having issue with?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Also, of note. I had 12.8 inch Brembo Rotors on my Z and if you get the right model the new ones come with 14's which are bigger than the EVO X.... are the ones complaining.... the ones that bought a base model car without the upgraded brakes? or are the Brembos what they are having issue with?
With the 370 they switched from Brembo to Akebono. The Akebono brakes are fine imo. The weakest point (imo and from doing some reading) is the pad material. It just doesn't tolerate heat the way a sports car brakes should. Swap out the pads though and it improves drastically. Again, this is from reading others experiences, but supposedly the optional NISMO pads aren't very good either. I also think most Z owners (myself included) would have been happy to pay a little more for an oil cooler. Quite a few say it should be part of the sport package. I never realized that the 350 ever came with an oil cooler from the factory. Oh well, I'm still happy with my choice and at the end of the day that is all that matters.
--edit--
And since i forgot earlier, Grats on the win!

Last edited by JonU; Sep 7, 2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 06:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JonU
With the 370 they switched from Brembo to Akebono. The Akebono brakes are fine imo. The weakest point (imo and from doing some reading) is the pad material. It just doesn't tolerate heat the way a sports car brakes should. Swap out the pads though and it improves drastically. Again, this is from reading others experiences, but supposedly the optional NISMO pads aren't very good either. I also think most Z owners (myself included) would have been happy to pay a little more for an oil cooler. Quite a few say it should be part of the sport package. I never realized that the 350 ever came with an oil cooler from the factory. Oh well, I'm still happy with my choice and at the end of the day that is all that matters.
There's no reason why you shouldn't be happy with your Z. You bought the car you liked and that's that. Please don't misunderstand our comments. We're mentioning the brakes and the oil cooler, because neither is really a big deal and not something to complain about. Brake pads are a wear and tear part and it's not like the aftermarket doesn't offer a comprehensive selection, and spending ~$500 on an oil cooler is not the end of the world, either.

And since i forgot earlier, Grats on the win!
Folks here merely bought the cars. It's the engineers/staff at Mitsubishi who can be congratulated.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Nice...
Old Sep 7, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Its an easy fix but he fact you have to do it to be able to race is bs. I personally didnt have either upgrades, only thig i had on my z was stillen cai's. Pissed me off that the car couldnt handle a small track, which is one of the reasons i traded it in.

Quick Reply: Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver