Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver

Best Handling Car under k, Car&Driver-81fo1.jpg

Best Handling Car under k, Car&Driver-cyp7j.png

Last edited by marios23; Sep 5, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:33 PM

Mmm. GSR is not included. I should have bought the MR.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by jerry_x
Mmm. GSR is not included. I should have bought the MR.
Not unless you want to make big power
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:39 PM

lots of dl links here, if you guys wanna read the whole feature

Code:
http://www.rlslog.net/car-and-driver-october-2011-p2p/
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

The sti and reg wrx are not on the lis, mazdaspeed 3 and camaro are missing as well. Ind i bet all those should be way ahead of the lame gti. And even the mini.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cla2000
The sti and reg wrx are not on the lis, mazdaspeed 3 and camaro are missing as well. Ind i bet all those should be way ahead of the lame gti. And even the mini.
Lame GTI and MINI?? Way to get your post count up but apparently you have not driven all these cars. Yes the GTI and MINI may not be as fast as the others, but... The article is about HANDLING... The Mini is not fast by any means but drives like it is on rails and the GTI is a hell of a handler as well especially compared to the CAMARO!! The Camaro is not as good as handling compared as the older Camaro. In fact the new 5.0 Stang is so much better that IT was put against the almighty M3 in handling and actually WON! Now it's definitely not a better car than the M3 by any means, but we are talking about one thing only here, handling. Not brand, not luxury, not amenities, not speed, not coolness..... handling. Now.... not every test is going to incorporate every vehicle that should be. Usually, especially with car mags, it's the newer and more well known, what is going to get someone to say WTF REALLY and buy it to read. All I'm saying is not everyone is going to be pleased by what is presented or the outcome. And please, the GTI is anything but LAME! That is all....
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

I still love the fact that the Miata is number two I miss mine every nice day out lol

Also the miata is the least expensive car on that list too aka best bang for your buck
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I'm happy the Evo won and all but it's like they literally picked six random cars that no one in their right mind would be cross shopping and compared them.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

miata's are straight up gay. I could care less how well they handle. evo FTW.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racingguy13
Lame GTI and MINI?? Way to get your post count up but apparently you have not driven all these cars. Yes the GTI and MINI may not be as fast as the others, but... The article is about HANDLING... The Mini is not fast by any means but drives like it is on rails and the GTI is a hell of a handler as well especially compared to the CAMARO!! The Camaro is not as good as handling compared as the older Camaro. In fact the new 5.0 Stang is so much better that IT was put against the almighty M3 in handling and actually WON! Now it's definitely not a better car than the M3 by any means, but we are talking about one thing only here, handling. Not brand, not luxury, not amenities, not speed, not coolness..... handling. Now.... not every test is going to incorporate every vehicle that should be. Usually, especially with car mags, it's the newer and more well known, what is going to get someone to say WTF REALLY and buy it to read. All I'm saying is not everyone is going to be pleased by what is presented or the outcome. And please, the GTI is anything but LAME! That is all....
The gti is an overpriced fwd. I owned the 1.8t mk4. Test drove the mk6. It handles ok for the power it makes. A lot of understeer and i don't think it has a spot in the top 10. The mini, also fwd, and while it handles better than the gti, i don't think it can be better than a mazdaspeed 3 or the wrx.
It was just an observation. Don't have an aneurism over it. You might be a gti fan but i owned 3 vws in the past 10 years, and before i got the evo I allmost made the mistake of buying a 4th (2009 letta, wolsburg ed). I drove the mazdaspeed3 and liked it a lot, and while it does have understeer, i think it sticks to the pavement a lot better than ur beloved gti.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
T6
Evolving Member

wtf is a mustang doing up there? I test drove both a gt500 (unrelated to this thread, i know) and the mustang 5.0. Both are terrible when it comes to fun to drive and body control. And breakaway behavior is higher than an evo? lmao...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a well deserved recognition!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by T6
wtf is a mustang doing up there? I test drove both a gt500 (unrelated to this thread, i know) and the mustang 5.0. Both are terrible when it comes to fun to drive and body control. And breakaway behavior is higher than an evo? lmao...
The new Mustangs really have had a lot of work done to them and they're much better cars than they were even 5 years ago. I feel bad for the chumps that went and splurged on a new 5.0 before they upped the power and fixed the suspension.

I'd drive the Miata but HATE to be seen in one. IMO the GTI is an overpriced hipster wagon, but the Golf R should be a good car and a nice interior. I wish we would get the Scirocco here.

The only other car that piqued my interest a bit is the 370z. I drove the 350 and thought it was a little under powered and handled a bit like a pig... I heard the 370 is much better (definitely looks better).

Last edited by Type17; Sep 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
They gave the evo an 8 in ergonomics?

Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Ive driven or owned most of the cars on this list. I drove my friend's 370z and it is a nice car but it didnt feel right to me, I know that is subjective but thats how I felt. I owned a Miata and it was a cute and nice handling car with good mpg but it was way too small/felt unsafe cruising the highways next to anything else. The GTI I havent driven in years but seriously a front driver? No thanks. I've test driven Mini's they are nice for a front driver/handling good, not great but the dealerships are snobby and I wasn't overly impressed by the dash layout and small size. Ford Mustang GT looks like a genuine contender although Ive never driven it. Im happy to see an American company doing well without taxpayer $ to prop them up. I now own the EVO and have to say it really is the best on the list...and you could include alot of other cars on that list (Camaro, RX8, Challenger, WRX/STi) and the EVO would still be #1 in my opinion.

Last edited by formerRX8owner; Sep 2, 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Handling Car under $40k, Car&Driver