Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mods to stay even with GTR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by T6
Sadly with the twin clutches you cannot just fix a part in it, if something goes wrong 99.9% of the time the whole thing needs to be replaced which costs 20k. The SST costs 10k and the GTR one 20k.

Plus the GTR doesnt use a timing belt, it uses a timing chain which is (i might be wrong) but 6k to replace lol. Even though the car might be under 100k, it is still a supercar. Taking care of it is a lot harder than your evo plus if you do not live in an area with a good tuner for the GTR (basically people who know wtf they are doing), you better even do your own oil change yourself because not even the nissan dealerships know how to decently change up your oil... At least the one where I am have no idea about it. There are 2 GTRs where I am and none of them do anything to theirs over here, except some electrical stuff (because Audio Express over here is AWESOME).
1. The more time goes on the more servicable the Evo's SST and the GT-R's tranny will become. SSP has already made great strides with both transmissions over the past few years.
2. The Evo X also uses a timing chain, ordinarily chains do not need replacement and have no recommended service interval. Most new cars are like this.
3. GT-R's should only be taken to authorized GT-R Nissan dealers for service.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_X_Effect
Yea that makes sense. I have seen one gtr in my area and its sick!! I am happy as can be with my evo and yes it would be sweet to own a GTR. I have a kid tho and need the 4 doors. not to mention that the RnD on a GTR will rape your wallet when you start buying mods.
Yes you are right, I dont need the 4 door but I love having it. I wont be getting married anytime soon nor will I be having babies as I know when and how to pull out... But I am not interested in spending more than I want which is why I am going to wait till I am more comfy taking care of the GTR lol.

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
That's not the half of it. The transmission is ideally supposed to last forever. Check out the prices on replacing actual wear items on the GTR - tires, rotors, transmission fluids.

Oh, and another thing - if you turn VDC off (Nissan's version of ASC) - your warranty is voided instantly.

Say what you want about Porsche's being more expensive, they certainly stand behind their vehicles more then that.
Aye good one. The only thing about GTR is the whole under 100k sticker price. They dont add the extra thousand(s) of maintenance fees a year lol.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im new to this but what a bout a hta 86 kurbo kit, my friend had one (fully built motor ofcours) and he has had gtr owners in shock lol after he gets out on them.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

The new GTR was appealing to me... But, after reading this I'm not sure I would want to deal with it...

Izzy
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I believe they no longer void the warranty on 2012's when you turn the VSC off due to new launch maps, etc. that utilize a lower rpm. This also puts less strain on the transmission which in turn results in fewer failed transmissions. I will be saving for a used one of these in two years when my 0% loan is up on the Evo.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
I believe they no longer void the warranty on 2012's when you turn the VSC off due to new launch maps, etc. that utilize a lower rpm. This also puts less strain on the transmission which in turn results in fewer failed transmissions. I will be saving for a used one of these in two years when my 0% loan is up on the Evo.
Page GTR-9 in the owner's manual of a 2012 GTR:

Damage to the powertrain or any
drivetrain component(s) that occurs
when there is a record in the Vehicle
Status Data Recorder (VSDR) that
the vehicle was driven with VDC off
during the period when the damage
was incurred is excluded from warranty
coverage.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Page GTR-9 in the owner's manual of a 2012 GTR:

Damage to the powertrain or any
drivetrain component(s) that occurs
when there is a record in the Vehicle
Status Data Recorder (VSDR) that
the vehicle was driven with VDC off
during the period when the damage
was incurred is excluded from warranty
coverage.
This link doesnt work. Please make sure links work before posting please
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
This link doesnt work. Please make sure links work before posting please
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we have to ability to link to other forums for some reason? Here's an alternate link to the 2012 owner's manual:

Here

Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

I am not trying to start a flame fest... But I see ZERO reason to, ever drive with the Traction control, stability control systems off. Note I said DRIVE...

Sure its fun to watch TOP GEAR and see those morons, and very laughable so, tear and shred tires. But its extremely hard on the drive train, engine, and most importantly VERY expensive for tires.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I am not trying to start a flame fest... But I see ZERO reason to, ever drive with the Traction control, stability control systems off. Note I said DRIVE...

Sure its fun to watch TOP GEAR and see those morons, and very laughable so, tear and shred tires. But its extremely hard on the drive train, engine, and most importantly VERY expensive for tires.
It's not so much about missing actually driving with VDC off - although I would argue it's probably a lot more fun to drive the car that way with the nanny's off, ASC off in the Evo = fun sideways action - it's been Nissan's whole philosophy about black box monitoring, big brother watching your every move - voiding warranty for using launch control (no longer an issue), voiding warranty for going to the track, voiding warranty for turning VDC off - it's a whole history of "hey, here's this super car, now only drive the speed limit on public roads".

Porsche dealerships would never do that.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

It's not so much about missing actually driving with VDC off - although I would argue it's probably a lot more fun to drive the car that way with the nanny's off, ASC off in the Evo = fun sideways action - it's been Nissan's whole philosophy about black box monitoring, big brother watching your every move - voiding warranty for using launch control (no longer an issue), voiding warranty for going to the track, voiding warranty for turning VDC off - it's a whole history of "hey, here's this super car, now driving the speed limit on public roads".

Porsche dealerships would never do that.

Well lets set the background.... Porsche...VERY specifically... You must adhere to their warranty tables or warranty VOID..Porsche 4/50k mile

Nissan 3/36 mile on everything. 5 year 60K on Powertrain. Extended warranty thru Nissan, and I checked this one cause I really want to get a GTR... 100K mile everything.. 5600 bucks.

100K mile warranty on Porsche... 15K plus depending on car. NO THANKS.

Last edited by Supraboy1; Sep 5, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:46 PM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Point is its a feature that comes with the car. If I cant use it why is it there?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well lets set the background.... Porsche...VERY specifically... You must adhere to their warranty tables or warranty VOID..Porsche 4/50k mile

Nissan 3/36 mile on everything. 5 year 60K on Powertrain. Extended warranty thru Nissan, and I checked this one cause I really want to get a GTR... 100K mile everything.. 5600 bucks.

100K mile warranty on Porsche... 15K plus depending on car. NO THANKS.
So by your own admission, Porsche has the longer comprehensive warranty, not to mention the only caveat is you have to adhere to the maintenance intervals, which is generally true of every warranty?

And a 100k mile extended warranty on the GTR still only seems to last 5 years, so that's just one year longer then the standard Porsche warranty.

Anyway, it's great you decided on a GTR, those compromises obviously aren't a deal breaker for you. Besides all this talk of warranty is out the window as soon as you decide to modify anyway, which is inevitable in cars like the GTR and 911 Turbo.

Personally, I'd rather have a little less warranty and use the car how I want vs. having a little more warranty and being tied to Nissan's specific rules of use.

If Nissan really wanted to sell me a super car, they would have stood by their product starting in 2008 when they first sold them, instead of voiding a bunch of warranty claims over launch control. To me, Porsche is the clear winner in terms of companies who stand behind their sports cars.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

This thread got a little off track didn't it

Personally I think it's a bit of a losing battle to try to compete with the GTR in a roll race. For the money invested in the Evo to compete and the money lost due to compromised reliability, you might as well just jump into a GTR if you can afford it anyway.

Also I think the 2012 changes for the GTR are a bit overblown. It seems like the biggest thing they did was fit better tires and improve launch control to better compete with the PDK 911 Turbo - the actual car didn't change that much. You can easily make a 2009 GTR beat a 2012 GTR for very little money if you don't mind modifying.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vtec fever
Im new to this but what a bout a hta 86 kurbo kit, my friend had one (fully built motor ofcours) and he has had gtr owners in shock lol after he gets out on them.
Sure, if you sink $20K into the motor you can beat the GTR. But, after a couple of years most people are bored and want a new car. You will never recoup your $20 grand whereas a used GTR will still have a fairly high trade in value.

Quick Reply: Mods to stay even with GTR?