Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mods to stay even with GTR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011 | 03:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
This thread got a little off track didn't it

Personally I think it's a bit of a losing battle to try to compete with the GTR in a roll race. For the money invested in the Evo to compete and the money lost due to compromised reliability, you might as well just jump into a GTR if you can afford it anyway.

Also I think the 2012 changes for the GTR are a bit overblown. It seems like the biggest thing they did was fit better tires and improve launch control to better compete with the PDK 911 Turbo - the actual car didn't change that much. You can easily make a 2009 GTR beat a 2012 GTR for very little money if you don't mind modifying.
LOL yah it did get off track Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by lowkey
Sure, if you sink $20K into the motor you can beat the GTR. But, after a couple of years most people are bored and want a new car. You will never recoup your $20 grand whereas a used GTR will still have a fairly high trade in value.
Yah and when you sink that 20k into the Evo, the daily driving aspect of it goes out the window fast. I love my Evo, it's a great performance car for priceerformance ratio. Very hard to beat, especially when you add some light modding.

The 2012 GT-R is a bit nutso. Watch Edmunds comparison. Without turning this into a huge debate, you can get the Evo close to a STOCK GT-R with a few light mods. http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...mprobable.html
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly think the evo is trumped on this one, no matter how much money you spend on it it will never be as fast as a GT-R ( unless your talking about completly turning them into race cars) but for the street just look at AMS and the ALPHA packages for the GT-R I mean 8 SECONDS........full interior.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 04:52 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

If you wanted to race GTR's you should have started with car with more speed-modification potential. Like an IX, VIII, or 2JZGTE Supra

Last edited by Jp7; Sep 5, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Page GTR-9 in the owner's manual of a 2012 GTR:

Damage to the powertrain or any
drivetrain component(s) that occurs
when there is a record in the Vehicle
Status Data Recorder (VSDR) that
the vehicle was driven with VDC off
during the period when the damage
was incurred is excluded from warranty
coverage.
Exactly. That just further proves my point. The warranty will only be voided if the transmission incurs damage during the period that the VDC is turned off.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

fp Black with supporting mods evo8 33psi on meth.
give a gtr a run to 140.

Last edited by EVOMIZ; Sep 5, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

I'd bet a FP GREEN/RED X would put up a damn good fight in the 1/4 mile. I know thats not roll racing, but the GTR isn't that fast of a car stock. Mid 11s @ low to mid 120s isn't impossible to beat. For a roll race, you'd need a Black, 35R, 6262 etc to beat one, and even still once we hit 5th gear its over, and the GTR will pass us most likely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl6W5VWh8tw

Just as fast as the vast majority of stock GTRs....and the end of the day its a 420whp 3800# car, excluding the 12'.

But then you could do this to the GTR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2pJkuosD0

Also if you plan on modding the GTR above 600whp plan on the dodson upgrades, that or don't be a ***** when you have to pay 20k for a tranny.(cheaper just to upgrade)
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 07:11 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
1. The more time goes on the more servicable the Evo's SST and the GT-R's tranny will become. SSP has already made great strides with both transmissions over the past few years.
2. The Evo X also uses a timing chain, ordinarily chains do not need replacement and have no recommended service interval. Most new cars are like this.
3. GT-R's should only be taken to authorized GT-R Nissan dealers for service.
1: I agree, it will take a bit more time but in the end they will make better parts just as they did on the sst.

2: I really did not know that, thanks

3: That is a big big no no where I am. They only know how to sell it but when you take it to the back, they cannot even plug in the oil holder (which honestly can happen to anyone but how often?) Not to mention the fact that ordering parts for the GTR was a terrible mess (wrong parts were order twice in a row), also the fact that they didnt even know how to plug the undertray back and ended up on the road before you pulling out of the service area. Of course this is all I have heard and cannot prove. Even a rumor like that I wouldnt let them touch my evo let alone a GTR...
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 07:45 PM

Wow, there is a reason why a GTR costs twice as much than an Evo X MR but, I have to admit that seeing an Evo destroy mighty Godzilla wouldn't sound too far out from the box... It all comes down to how deep you are willing to spend to get there.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

v8 conversion? lol, or major weight reduction.... get the x down to 2500-2600lbs and with 450hp and a quick(ish) spooling turbo you'll keep up if not stomp it.

also the new gt-r have fairly low failure rates on the transmissions because of the new launch maps.

also a 2012 will depreciate more than 20k in a few years. The 2008-2010 have not been holding their value very well at all.

Last edited by akeric; Sep 5, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akeric
v8 conversion? lol, or major weight reduction.... get the x down to 2500-2600lbs and with 450hp and a quick(ish) spooling turbo you'll keep up if not stomp it.

also the new gt-r have fairly low failure rates on the transmissions because of the new launch maps.

also a 2012 will depreciate more than 20k in a few years. The 2008-2010 have not been holding their value very well at all.
That's why I'm going to try and pick up a used one. Can't wait!
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
That's why I'm going to try and pick up a used one. Can't wait!

Same in the next couple years. Hopefully will be sending it off to AMS for the Alpha 12 package, rather quickly aswell. 170mph+ traps are calling my name
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by akeric

Yep, I have seen used ones with fairly low miles for around 60K.

On a side note, how much more can you reduce weight wise on a stock X to bring it down to near 3000 lbs? I know spare tire and stock exhaust removal will net aprox. 70 to 80lbs?
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

I can spend 20k$ on built motor and turbo. But if I need 35r or bigger turbo to keep up with gtrs, It will be easier for me to just sell the evo. Turbo such big will make my car completely useless in dd and winter driving. I need low end torque. Biggest turbo I'm willing to buy is RED/GT30R. Pump gas only.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by skyseer
I can spend 20k$ on built motor and turbo. But if I need 35r or bigger turbo to keep up with gtrs, It will be easier for me to just sell the evo. Turbo such big will make my car completely useless in dd and winter driving. I need low end torque. Biggest turbo I'm willing to buy is RED/GT30R. Pump gas only.
Did you not watch the video I posted? That is a 400whp Evo X running those times. That is as quick as the majority of GTRs.

Why are you so set on beating GTRs, how often do you even run into a GTR, especially one that wants to race you? The car I wanna be able to beat is Corvette GS or any LS3 Corvette from any speed race, and I plan to do this with a true Mustang Dyno 400whp car.

If you want a car that will truly be able to walk on GTRs from a roll you're going to need a true 500whp Evo, and to get that on pump gas you're gonna need a FP black, 6262, or 35R with all the goodies...

Also if this car is your DD and you want it to beat GTRs you'll need 500whp, and at that point I wouldn't consider driving it as a daily anymore. You may want to reconsider car choices.

Last edited by HAHAV8; Sep 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011 | 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Realistically, an Evo with an FP Black and all supporting mods running on E-85 would give a stock GTR a run for its money and maybe even beat it up until a certain speed where the lack of gearing and poor aerodynamics really hinder the Evo. Keep in mind, however, that this is not the type of racing an Evo was designed for or excels at.

The gearing of an Evo make it perfect for very quick bursts of speed while at lower speeds. Matched with AWD and relatively light weight (after some basic weight reduction such as aftermarket turboback exhaust, removal of spare tire and tools etc...) providing almost unreal traction off the line; a mildly modified Evo can destroy much more powerful vehicles in shorter races such as the 1/8 mile and especially stoplight to stoplight (although I am not encouraging such things).

While the gearing combined with AWD make the Evo incredible off the line and at low speeds, it hinders the Evo at higher speeds (the Evo falls on its face after the shift into fifth gear). Roll racing is simply not what the Evo was designed for, and the faster the speed, the worse the Evo will likely do.

If you want to roll race and beat GTRs' (even modified GTRs) at highway speeds, in my opinion you have th ewrong vehicle to do it with. I would consider trading in the Evo for a 2001-2003 Corvette C5 Z06. Heads/Cam and other bolt-ons and the Z06 is an absolute monster, especially from a roll. Throw some boost at it and you will hold your own against most GTRs out there.

Quick Reply: Mods to stay even with GTR?