Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

jut bought an x, and need help!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jut bought an x, and need help!

I just bought a used 08 evo x gsr from a dealer, I have bought two cars from them before and they have been amazing. But the car has 27,000 miles on it, I drive it for 7 and 1/2 days, and then bam. my clutch burns out all together out of no where, I had to tow the damn thing to the dealership. I never launched, I fast shifted maybe about 3 or 4 times, stalled about 3 times, and thats it. never grinded and never burned. It's beyond me. well after dropping 25k they call me today and say 1,900$ for a new clutch. I am not putting in a new clutch in a car I just got a week ago. What do I do? Is there anything I can do? I love my x, I don't want to give it back . I want them to cover all or most of the cost.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
happened to mine when I bought it brand new. Some twit at the dealership (or maybe the previous owner who they bought it from) was launching it or doing clutch burnouts. Dealer screwed me and played the 'how do we know you didn't abuse it' card.

DONT LET THEM TOUCH IT. Take it to a performance shop and have a good aftermarket clutch put in. The OEM clutch is junk. You can get a much better clutch installed for much less. where are you located? someone here can probably recommend a good shop who knows how to work on evos.

You can try to get them to cover it, but i doubt they will. good luck

edit: $25k for a 2008 with 27k miles? dang, i got mine brand new for about that (considering 0%)!

Last edited by blk-majik; Sep 20, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by blk-majik
happened to mine when I bought it brand new. Some twit at the dealership (or maybe the previous owner who they bought it from) was launching it or doing clutch burnouts. Dealer screwed me and played the 'how do we know you didn't abuse it' card.

DONT LET THEM TOUCH IT. Take it to a performance shop and have a good aftermarket clutch put in. The OEM clutch is junk. You can get a much better clutch installed for much less. where are you located? someone here can probably recommend a good shop who knows how to work on evos.

You can try to get them to cover it, but i doubt they will. good luck

edit: $25k for a 2008 with 27k miles? dang, i got mine brand new for about that (considering 0%)!
Thats what I'm thinking about. But only problem is that I put 4k down and Have no extra money for a little. I'm a 19 year old college student with an ok job just to own a car haha. I just want them to replace it because a clutch shouldn't go out no matter what after 7 days. but really? I though I was getting a good deal... I financed 21 k with 4k down at 4.2% so oh well. I should of done more research but, I'm young and dumb and just wanted an X!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:48 AM

Go to the Dealership General manager and pitch a fit, tell them this car is barelly a week old to you and already having problems..

see what happens, and dont take no for an answer
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

did you not get a warranty?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

It could have easily been abused during those 27,000 used miles. Clutch was probably on its last days when the previous owner traded her in. Remind them of the previous cars you bought from them and maybe they will help you out. good luck
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Wow how sketchy. I guess thats the risk you take when buying used.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyss.
did you not get a warranty?
I could be mistaken but I believe warranty does not cover this because it is considered wear and tear!

Last edited by EvolutionIX219; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Tough. Perhaps that car was not the best choice for a 19 year old college student with not enough money to realistically afford that kind of car. Pay to play.

Being dumb with money is just dumb.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

So, I have a feeling it was some other mode of failure than just buring out... did the clutch just start slipping on you or will it just not go into gear or come out of gear or what...

More often then not when a clutch burns out it happens over time.. starts to slip then gets worse and worse..

On the other hand if the master cylinder fails or the throwout bearing fails or disconnects from the arm (forget the details of this last mode of failure but it does happen) then it would be more of an instant failure.. If the failure is not a burnt out clutch you have a better chance of getting it fixed by the dealer.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
All used cars require maintenance, especially high-performance sports car. A clutch is a wear item.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you stalled the car 3 times? do you even know how to drive a manual transmission? I'm sorry OP but I've had my evo for 4 years, never once did I stall it.

Your best bet is to take it to another shop, have a better clutch installed.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Mistakes happen, nothing wrong with occasionally stalling it, especially if you're new to driving stick. Three times definitely will not hurt the clutch.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad_SB
So, I have a feeling it was some other mode of failure than just buring out... did the clutch just start slipping on you or will it just not go into gear or come out of gear or what...

More often then not when a clutch burns out it happens over time.. starts to slip then gets worse and worse..

On the other hand if the master cylinder fails or the throwout bearing fails or disconnects from the arm (forget the details of this last mode of failure but it does happen) then it would be more of an instant failure.. If the failure is not a burnt out clutch you have a better chance of getting it fixed by the dealer.
I'm in agreement with this. I've never had a clutch just stop working. It would start slipping, turn down boost, holds fine, slip more, turn down boost more, etc etc. If it instantly happened...something else probably happened.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
All used cars require maintenance, especially high-performance sports car. A clutch is a wear item.
I would try to have the dealership try to compensate some of the cost. but i doubt that they would do anything like Kraka said, it is a wear item.

Thats why you check for weak clutches, worn brake pads, modifications, worn tires and carfax vehicle report before you get yourself in a very expensive disaster on wheels.

I would 100% get an aftermarket clutch since labor is very expensive on a clutch replacement, you dont want to do this again for a while.

Quick Reply: jut bought an x, and need help!