Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Did i break something?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did i break something?!

So last night i was backing up from a steep driveway. It was kinda tricky cause i had to maneuver to avoid hitting other cars. I have a gsr and im doing the whole clutch rev thing to keep my car from stalling(normally situation). Ive backed up before but never this steep. After doing so i notice a smell more like a burnt plastic smell, not clutch smell i dont think(dont really know now a burnt clutch smell like). It went away after driving home. Could i have damage something? transfer case maybe? Im able to drive maybe even better now. Clutch feels lighter, jerky-ness from shifting is gone...which is a good thing. normal or should i be worry. im about 32k miles so might be the clutch.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:23 PM

sounds like you were starting to roast your clutch. if its not slipping under a load i wouldn't worry about it.

yeah, its stock. and yea you worked it pretty hard depending on how you were backing out of that drive way. i wouldn't worry about it man.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

cool thanks for the reply. would sucked if it was soemthing else.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:41 PM

32K on stock original clutch? not bad
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

yeah that was definitely the clutch. it'll produce that smell especially when trying to keep revs up like that. but like mentioned, if you're not slipping, you should be okay.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Def the clutch.. I'm on 33k on the stock clutch too.

If you can go WOT through a gear a two and it drives normal, then your fine. The only thing you hafta look for after something like that is your clutch slipping.. (when you mash the gas and the rpm's shoot up but you aren't going anywhere)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I'm definitely not slipping(yet) but my clutch engagement seems softer. I'm shooting for 50k but don't see it happening lol eventually it will go.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

soft clutch? sounds like stock clutch line expansion I get a softer clutch too while reversing up my steep driveway or holding it down at this one light in heavy traffic not being able to see the other lights changing around.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You glazed the clutch disc a little bit. Once the glaze wears off (from driving) it will go back to normal.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:50 PM

Ya it sounds lime you take it pretty easy on your clutch, a little slip like that every so often isn't a big deal. You just heated it the friction material too fast and it glazed the surface from the heat, some normal driving should wear the glaze off. If you do it too often you'll permanently glaze the disc and create hot spots on the pressure plate and flywheel. 32k is pretty good for a stock evo clutch from what I've read, good luck hitting 50 that would be the highest I've personally heard of.... Although I don't know too much, still an evo noob
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:53 PM

I'm at 42,400 with a stock clutch. Not beating the crap of out the car FTW
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
So last night i was backing up from a steep driveway. It was kinda tricky cause i had to maneuver to avoid hitting other cars. I have a gsr and im doing the whole clutch rev thing to keep my car from stalling(normally situation). Ive backed up before but never this steep. After doing so i notice a smell more like a burnt plastic smell, not clutch smell i dont think(dont really know now a burnt clutch smell like). It went away after driving home. Could i have damage something? transfer case maybe? Im able to drive maybe even better now. Clutch feels lighter, jerky-ness from shifting is gone...which is a good thing. normal or should i be worry. im about 32k miles so might be the clutch.
I did something similar to this yesterday. I was going up an extremely steep driveway at a friends house and I foolishly stopped in the very beginning because I thought my factory aero kit would rub. I had pulled the e-brake by now and then i let the e-brake go, revved up because I knew I would need some juice to go up the steep driveway. I admit I was revving pretty high, the car made it up, revving more then it should have, and I think for a quick second I was revving but the car wasnt moving much compared to the revs. Had this nasty smell coming out of the car, almost like a propane leak. It's definitely not rubber more towards the plastic side. It's coming more from the drivers side. I did drive the car a bit and it seems like less smell is coming but it is still there. Now my question did you have this smell coming through the vents? seems like mine is still coming through even when I am recycling the air.

I'm at 21k miles car is bone stock.

Last edited by naveed80; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Didnt notice anything from the vents. Did u notice your clutch feels softer?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

If you get some clutch cookage the smell can linger for a good long while (days). You might have taken some life off the clutch, but if it drives fine that's all you did, no big deal.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:30 PM

I get that smell too you guys are describing from the clutch when I don't release the pedal all the way while I'm backing up my driveway, it smells so bad, what the heck is the stock clutch made out of?

Quick Reply: Did i break something?!