Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Leasing Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cla2000
Well, while you did not call this guy an idiot, you did write that people that lease are idiots. Speaking of which, have you done the math on your "killer" 2.9% apr deal? Because I doubt that at that apr, your final price on the car will be any better than a lease that mitsu offers. And not to rub your face in it, but please make sure you know your own numbers before you talk trash on other people opinions or statements.
WOW talk about not even knowing the numbers... Seriously?

Leasing 100% of the time will cost more money than buying if all factors are accounted for. Exception... business leasing. I'll bet you a steak dinner on this.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Steak dinner?

DOROTHY MANTOOTH IS A SAINT!!!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a lease is a mistake...I haven't come across many times in life where leasing is beneficial over buying..maybe for work and company is picking up the tab but for a DD..no. Do you lease and Ferrari or a GT-R? not heard of.
Yes, I know these two cars are in another echelon by themselves. Logically, it doesn't make sense...either you buy it and have the money to make payments or pay it off. In the long run you know you'll will modify the vehical. It an addiction otherwise you wouldn't be on these threads or forum.

again that's my .02

Good luck
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
I think a lease is a mistake...I haven't come across many times in life where leasing is beneficial over buying..maybe for work and company is picking up the tab but for a DD..no. Do you lease and Ferrari or a GT-R? not heard of.
Financially it's not the best option, particularly if you plan on keeping the car. But again, that's not the situation for everyone.

Leasing is good for people who do plan on switching cars frequently, whether it's because they feel like or because they have an image that is beneficial to uphold, such as people who meet with clients and take them out to lunch. And in those situations, they're going to get rid of the car anyway, and some would rather not deal with the hassle of having to hunt down a buyer for their car that they're trying to get rid of, especially if it's a situation where the economy might not be so hot and they may not be able to sell their car for an amount that they were hoping for. And then there's all the prep in selling a car privately (i.e. detailing the car inside and out, smogging it, digging up all of your service documentation, haggling with a buyer over things like tires and tiny scratches).

Also, by getting rid of the car by the end of the lease and making your way into another, you'll more or less be operating the car during its peak, as every car tends to slowly deteriorate through time. It's most cost-effective to drive the car until it breaks down, but you never know when that will happen, plus you'll be burdened with the decision to either fix it and keep it running (though not guaranteeing that it won't break down again) or to just get rid of it the way it is.

Personally, I'd rather not lease, but there are cars that I would consider leasing. If I were buying something that is generally very reliable or something that I actually will want to keep as long as possible knowing I probably won't get tired of it, financing or paying cash is the smarter option. But if buying something that I like but may not be a candidate for long-term ownership for whatever reason, leasing could be a more careful choice. For example, my girlfriend is financing her 2010 Corolla LE, which will probably last her for a long time so she plans on driving it until it breaks. I had financed (and paid off) my Evo IX SE since I love the car and want to keep it forever and eventually turn it into a dedicated track car at some point (unless there is a buyer with massively deep pockets who will pay a lot for a bone-stock Evo in the future). But I've been considering another car for fun, like the VW GTI or Golf R or the upcoming 328i with the 2.0T, though VWs are commonly viewed as having eletrical issues and BMWs tend to be pricey to repair along with the 2.0T being a new engine that hasn't necessarily been proven yet, so I may lean toward leasing those.