Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Noise Database

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011 | 02:16 PM

Noise Database

Anyone have a list of clips for normal noises for an Evo X? Sounds silly, but this is the first turbo car I've owned and it's the weirdest, funniest sounding car I've ever driven.

Anyway, I recently took my car into the dealership for an oil change and to check on a noise that had been coming up after I took a 2,200 mile road trip (4 consecutive days of ~9 hours of driving 75MPH in 6th gear). Googling around I found a YouTube clip of someone with a similar noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qry6HutYQ

The comments state it's the oil pump, but the dealership said I was hearing a normal TC-SST whine. I'm included to not think it's the transmission however because I can replicate the noise while coasting to a stop even with the transmission in neutral.

Thoughts? My car has no mods btw.
Old Oct 14, 2011 | 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

I don't hear anything really crazy, sounds ok to me.. Maybe I just have the sound turned down too low.
Old Oct 14, 2011 | 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I don't hear anything really crazy, sounds ok to me.. Maybe I just have the sound turned down too low.
I wasn't saying there was anything crazy. At the 4 second point in the video onwards there is an oscillating noise that I get in my car too. For informative purposes I'd just like to know what it is.
Old Dec 7, 2011 | 11:34 PM

Hey guys,

Don't mean to dredge up an slightly old thread. I have exactly the same noise in mine. It's going back to the dealer on Sunday. I would say it's not the SST as I have had my SST replaced about a month ago and the noise still remains.

I would hazard a guess that it is oil pump related, as someone else stated in another thread, as the noise is not there when the car is cold and only presents itself after the car and oil is at operating temps. It doesn't get any louder or anything and doesn't seem to affect performance but it's irritating nonetheless.

I have had it now for roughly 10,000kms. My car is still relatively new with only 25,000kms on the clock.

Will let you guys know what happens with the dealer.

Cheers,

Macky
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 11:14 AM

Short update.

Car is with the dealer at the moment. After a lengthy test drive they hoisted the car up on a lift, removed the plastic skid plate, got out their oscilloscope and have found that the sound is coming from the oil pump. New pump arrives tomorrow.

Will keep ya updated once they call for a test drive.

Macky out
Old Dec 12, 2011 | 07:49 PM

Sup guys,

Got the car back yesterday and have put roughly 100 miles on the car already (not much I know). The sound is gone so far. The difference is night and day.

When I last did the oil change the car sounded better but after the car warmed up and you thrashed it around a little bit the sound was right back where I started.

Now that the pump has been replaced the sound is no more. Not sure if it will crop up again, I guess time will tell but the car sounds good as new.

So I would hazard a guess and say the sound is not normal (depending on how loud yours is), and I would suggest getting the oil pump replaced under warranty if you can. Get your dealer to place an oscilloscope on the oil pan, have someone rev your car to 2000 rpm and keep it there and you will hear the whine loud and clear.

Will keep you guys updated as time wears on (pardon the pun)
Old Dec 13, 2011 | 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for posting man. Will definitely keep this in mind.
Old Nov 10, 2013 | 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Emaculate
Sup guys,

Got the car back yesterday and have put roughly 100 miles on the car already (not much I know). The sound is gone so far. The difference is night and day.

When I last did the oil change the car sounded better but after the car warmed up and you thrashed it around a little bit the sound was right back where I started.

Now that the pump has been replaced the sound is no more. Not sure if it will crop up again, I guess time will tell but the car sounds good as new.

So I would hazard a guess and say the sound is not normal (depending on how loud yours is), and I would suggest getting the oil pump replaced under warranty if you can. Get your dealer to place an oscilloscope on the oil pan, have someone rev your car to 2000 rpm and keep it there and you will hear the whine loud and clear.

Will keep you guys updated as time wears on (pardon the pun)
Bumping a super oldie but oh well, Did your oil pump noise ever come back?
Old Nov 19, 2013 | 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Robstunner
Bumping a super oldie but oh well, Did your oil pump noise ever come back?
Heya Rob,

Yup it did come back. After about a 1000kms it came back. Not sure exactly why it came back on a new pump. My guesses are that perhaps the oil gets too thin with the heat in Dubai, alternatively could just be a "thing".

I have solved the problem though. I sold the car and moved on. :-)

Not sure if that helps but perhaps try different weight oils and see if the noise isn't as loud in a slightly thicker oil. Try something like a 10w60 Full Synthetic. Mate of mine ran it in his Evo X and he didn't have any probs.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Old Nov 21, 2013 | 07:56 AM

Im having a noise as well from the oil pump it seems. Its a tapping/knocking noise. Its extremely loud 10 seconds after you cold start the enine, and dims down as the rpms drops once it warms up. However, holding the rpms at 1000-2000rpm reveals the noise.