Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR at AutoX? Some questions... :)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X MR at AutoX? Some questions... :)

Hey guys I have about 6k miles on my car and was about to take it to an autox event some time soon. Just wanted to know how MR owners get off the line and what tires/wheels/suspension setup you're running. Do you guys use launch control and ASC off? Or just keep ASC on?

I currently have 265/35r18 Ventus V12's with Rota Grids on Swift Sport springs. I have a Cosworth drop-in as well, but otherwise the car is stock. I was going to get a Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar as well. Anyone running a setup similar to this want to give their two cents too? Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 265 streets on Rota Grids are going to hurt, since that means BSP or worse when it comes to classing, but don't even think about it; just register and drive.

I can't comment on launching an MR, but will suggest ASC in plain off. The TC kicking in at bad moments is really distracting, annoying, and unsettling (to both you and the car). The downside of turning the ASC off is that you also lose the single-wheel braking, but I find the loss of this is less of a negative than TC kicking in. I never tried off-off, but I don't see any reason to even test it, since drifting is not the fastest way around an autocross course; I want the AYC to have all the help it can get. After all, it's the AYC that makes these pigs competitive with, for example, the Audi TTSs (which weigh as much as we do, but have a much lower CG).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go one off for the ASC and you'll be driving like a pro. Make sure you change your fuel pump relay if you haven't already done so as auto X in full auto SST = redlining all the time. Another X MR's motor blew at my first Auto X with my old MR, no relay.

I wouldn't bother launching off the line for auto X, it's only a few tenths which can be made up by better driving.

Last edited by Optiblue; Nov 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The 265 streets on Rota Grids are going to hurt, since that means BSP or worse when it comes to classing, but don't even think about it; just register and drive.

I can't comment on launching an MR, but will suggest ASC in plain off. The TC kicking in at bad moments is really distracting, annoying, and unsettling (to both you and the car). The downside of turning the ASC off is that you also lose the single-wheel braking, but I find the loss of this is less of a negative than TC kicking in. I never tried off-off, but I don't see any reason to even test it, since drifting is not the fastest way around an autocross course; I want the AYC to have all the help it can get. After all, it's the AYC that makes these pigs competitive with, for example, the Audi TTSs (which weigh as much as we do, but have a much lower CG).
Originally Posted by Optiblue
Go one off for the ASC and you'll be driving like a pro. Make sure you change your fuel pump relay if you haven't already done so as auto X in full auto SST = redlining all the time. Another X MR's motor blew at my first Auto X with my old MR, no relay.

I wouldn't bother launching off the line for auto X, it's only a few tenths which can be made up by better driving.
Thanks for the replies guys. The 2011 MR doesn't have the fuel pump relay issue right? Should I wait for my rear sways before my first event?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use Gravel Mode! Keep it in like 2nd or 3nd depending how fast the course is.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Don't wait. Early on, it's all about seat time.

Do not expect to win, especially on V12s in an R-comp class. Expect to be destroyed and focus on your driving and having fun.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertg
Use Gravel Mode! Keep it in like 2nd or 3nd depending how fast the course is.
I've never seen anyone suggest gravel mode. I know why people say leave it in tarmac and know why people say use snow. What's the reasoning behind gravel?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Don't wait. Early on, it's all about seat time.

Do not expect to win, especially on V12s in an R-comp class. Expect to be destroyed and focus on your driving and having fun.
No prob. I don't expect to compete with people in the class. I'm just mainly going to be comparing times with a couple people I know (e92 stock M3 and a WRX with stock wheel on Star Specs and tuned with some bolt ones. Should be pulling like 300whp).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
horsepower means jack S in autox. just go and have fun. don't worry about launching until you're super competitive.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by menasor
Thanks for the replies guys. The 2011 MR doesn't have the fuel pump relay issue right? Should I wait for my rear sways before my first event?
Yup, it should come with a dinky small stock one. You need to get a new relay just in case
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Just my opinion but I would run off/off in SST mode and left foot brake. That's the beauty of the SST is you can left foot brake an it will stay in redline the whole time. Just remember look ahead and use the throttle to steer through sweepers. Oh and don't worry about launching. A good launch will take around .5 seconds off your time, but at the point you are at don't worry about it just have fun like the others have said.

If you pick up a set of stock wheels you can run a 265 R-S3 and run STU as long as your stock boost. The MR that was out here in Dallas for the street tire challenge wont pax and FTD on that set up. All stock just the 265 on the stock wheels.

Last edited by justin81; Nov 3, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Optiblue
Yup, it should come with a dinky small stock one. You need to get a new relay just in case
Which relay should I be getting? Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Which relay should I be getting? Thanks!
I guess this one is the new one to get?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9714399-post315.html
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

I guess this one is the new one to get?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9714399-post315.html
I'm currently testing the new one that mitsubishi has replaced the blue with. So far it works fine~ if you can get the green or blue ones it should be fine as well. Pop by the dealership and see if they still have the blue ones in stock otherwise you can be a guinea pig and test out the new made in Italy ones like me LOL. The stock one has been known to fail, and in a few rare cases, the green/blues have also failed for some members. The only way to see a failure is a AFR gauge where it goes lean. In theory, a relay should last forever, but quality issues with these have been a little weak~ I'm hoping that this black one is the final version of the damn relay issue!

Should be around $13 in the states~

Last edited by Optiblue; Nov 4, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justin81
If you pick up a set of stock wheels you can run a 265 R-S3 and run STU as long as your stock boost.
245 is the widest tire you can run in STU for AWD cars.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR at AutoX? Some questions... :)