Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Another T-case whine?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another T-case whine?

My car just started whining after about 3k in 3rd gear, no other gears.

I have been driving with a 4WD SYSTEM SERVICE light for awhile now due to an accident and a poor body shop repair. I was told it was just a light that needed to be cleared with the dealers computer, but when I finally got it there and they went into the back end, it turns out the rear hydraulic unit was never fixed correctly. Now I'm stuck waiting for a wire harness that's a month on back order and I started hearing this whine.

Just trying to hear from others who have experienced issues with either of these parts.

Edit: Vid in post #8

Edit [For those who may find this in a search]:

The noise was indeed the transfer case. It started as described in the thread and slowly got louder and more consistent as I drove on it. By the time I got it to the dealership, the noise was audible in every gear, and there were different pitched tones and different speeds. Mitsubishi made the decision to replace my t-case under warranty at a cost of about 90 bucks out of my pocket. That being said, the damaged wire harness that threw the 4WD SYSTEM SERVICE REQ'd light must not have been the cause of the t-case issue.

Last edited by stif4413; Jan 4, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:05 PM

Exactly how long did you drive around with that light on? You should of got the ball rolling with the dealer as soon as you seen that light. The light came on for a reason.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by anEVOx
Exactly how long did you drive around with that light on? You should of got the ball rolling with the dealer as soon as you seen that light. The light came on for a reason.
The light was caused by an accident. After the body shop repaired the car they told me their computers couldn't clear the light but the car was fixed, so I just waited until my next scheduled maintenance. After that and since its been close to 10k miles with the light because I drive a lot for work.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stif4413
My car just started whining after about 3k in 3rd gear, no other gears.
If that's true, then it probably isn't the T-case.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
If that's true, then it probably isn't the T-case.
Any ideas on what else it would be? From what I've read, transfer case whines are loudest in 5th? In my car, there is nothing until right around 3k in third, and as soon as I shift to 4th its either gone or too faint for my ears. I didn't have a chance to test higher rpms in 5th though because I was in the city.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't have any good ideas; I just doubt that it's the T-case, since T-case whines are usually speed-dependent, which is why they are loudest in 5th.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I'm sorry, but I don't have any good ideas; I just doubt that it's the T-case, since T-case whines are usually speed-dependent, which is why they are loudest in 5th.
This morning I was able to listen a little bit better on the way to work. From what I can hear, there's nothing until the regular 3k at 3rd. When I go to 4th, the sound is still there but very faint. In 5th, I don't hear anything until 3k again, but this noise is different from the 3rd gear sound. In 5th, I get a short high pitched noise right around 3k, while accelerating. It's very brief but consistent to that range. If I keep accelerating or let off, it goes away. My car sounds like a space ship. I will try to get sound clips of these noises today at lunch. Thanks everyone for your input.

edit: turns out the higher pitched noise is more based on speed, and shows up at around 40 and 60 mph.

Last edited by stif4413; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccfOWi0GOZM
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

if its the T-case you would know it. Tcase whine isnt really faint its extremely loud and is very speed dependent. Can get so loud you can turn radio all the way up with windows closed and still hear it.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:15 PM

I thought I might've heard that they start softer and get worse with time... Were it the t-case, would I hear anything with the clutch in or coasting in neutral?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Normal?!?!?

Hi,
I need to know if I'm starting to listen too much while I'm driving or not...I've got an MR.
Mine is not so loud...that seem a rocket, mine can be heard only on perfect tarmac road.
I hear it around 3000 rpm 6th gear 70-85 mph, over 85 mph I can't ear it anymore, but I think that other noises cover it.

The sound is that at the end of the video but to help you to understand is as the fuel pump: if you turn on the car, from the outside (back) you can hear the pump whining, if around you there isn't any noise.
It's the same for my transmission(?!?) whine, I can hear it only if there isn't any other noise (unsmooth tarmac included).

So is it normal????The car has 4000 mi and I've noticed since day one that the transmission is obviously louder than a fwd but I'd like your opinion.

Thanks guys.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I would call your insurance and inform them of the situation and that the repairs were not done to your standards.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDZNate
I would call your insurance and inform them of the situation and that the repairs were not done to your standards.
^This. I had cars repaired in the past by body shops that my insurance company wanted me take the car to. They tried to give me my car back not painted correctly and with parts still missing.

Needless to say I took the car to another shop to have them fix what the first shop started.

I didn't see my car for three months and if I ever get into an accident again I'm taking it to where I want it fixed.

If you took your car where the insurance company wanted you to go they should have to pay to fix whatever is still wrong. Hopefully you have good insurance and don't have to fight with them to get this corrected. As others have said though you should have taken the car to the dealer to have them check out the light right away.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Whine might be due to the diff. Usually the diff whines when it's getting ready to go bye bye. Get it checked out first is my best advice, and then make your move after that.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry guys,
in my case no accident happened, so I cecked the trans and there isn't any leak at all.
I just hear that whine as described before. I'd like to know if you can hear some trans noise (as example like I wrote for the fuel pump) or if yours are totally quiet.
I can't go to the dealer saying that my diffs make noises because there are moving part inside, it's normal to have some whining.
I can't figure out if I'm in a normal situation or not, if the whine can or can't be heard from inside...

Last edited by Fede; Nov 30, 2011 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Another T-case whine?