Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rust proofing at Ziebart?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rust proofing at Ziebart?

Today was the first day hearing of this company so not sure what to expect?? They quoted me at 400 to rust proof my X (normally its 500 but they have a sale going on.) They do the undercarriage as well as the hinges all around the vehical. They also warranty it for 10 years. Its sounds like a good deal (i guess.) It is a lot of money, but I love my car and always want it to look new and in the best condition.

Does any one have experience with this company or have any idea of the quality of work they do???
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My cousin use to know a few guys that work there. They told her some stories on how they beat on this and that cars and how fast they gotten before driving back to the shop (this is mainly the one out on HWY 100, don't know about the other shops).... I would highly suggest setting up an appointment and watching their every move if I was you.

But yeah, Ziebart does some good work in tinting windows so I'm guessing they do a good job on spraying your under body.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
I had a pickup truck undercoated there. The work they did was kind of sloppy. They got undercoating on many of the engine bay parts and on the exhaust. Not to mention on the back of my wheels.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't. They just get some unskilled under appreciated employee to spray stuff everywhere. This is something offered at dealerships as well. There isn't much thought going into the process.

Personally, I would see if you can get your car on a lift somewhere and then start going nuts with undercoating in a can.

Edit: The best part about this service is the warranty. That is most of what your money goes towards. Read the fine print and try to guess what they are really going to do in the case that your car really does start rusting.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
There isn't much thought going into the process.

Personally, I would see if you can get your car on a lift somewhere and then start going nuts with undercoating in a can.
I would try to find the best stuff in a spray can, get the Evo on a lift or high jack stands and spray it on what you think should be covered. Sometimes they just spray everything and don't care what they get it on.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

I was lead onto this ACF-50 product from a couple of buddies at work that use it on airplanes. Great thing about it is if you ever want, you can remove it by simply washing it off with soap and water. I bought the case of 4 and am planning to spray the entire under-body and wheel wells. Not concerned about over-spray since this is more like an oil than paint, so you don't have to worry about it getting on moving parts and bushings.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To answer your specific question-- Ziebart has been around a long time and has been doing rust proofing and undercoating for at least 30+yrs.. So its legit, dont see it much down south, but plently in the snow belt for obvious reasons.. So the product has been around too long to not be good.
Now, where you have it done and if its applied correctly are two completely different stories--thats where you have to do your home work.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

I had the HWY 100 location tint the windows on my gti and they did a good job. They didn't even add a mile to it.

As far as undercoating, I would just do it yourself if you have the time.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
wouldnt rush out to trash a gti, no offense
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
That $500 would be better spent on frequent car washes with underbody sprayers during the winter months.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:01 PM

Ziebart

I beleive Ziebart started Rust Proofing in the 50s. The rust proofing you get in the dealers is Ziebart products. I had my '66 Pontiac GTO rust proofed and no rust yet. I would also suggest a thing called Diamond Gloss. I had that done on my Camero and even when it's dirty it looks just waxed. I highly recommend Ziebart. (dont get the can stuff- its crap)

Today was the first day hearing of this company so not sure what to expect?? They quoted me at 400 to rust proof my X (normally its 500 but they have a sale going on.) They do the undercarriage as well as the hinges all around the vehical. They also warranty it for 10 years. Its sounds like a good deal (i guess.) It is a lot of money, but I love my car and always want it to look new and in the best condition.

Does any one have experience with this company or have any idea of the quality of work they do???
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

^^Suspicion tells me this guy works there. 1 Post with a join date the day after this thread was made?

I think I am with Kracka on this one with car washes with underbody sprayers. Maybe the can stuff is legit.