Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Stock Evo X steering - make it heavier?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock Evo X steering - make it heavier?

I've been doing a lot of research in the past few months, but to no real success.

I have an 08 Evo X GSR, and I find that the steering is so light, it is almost weightless, at low and high speeds. (It has a bit of weight while the car is stationary, but hardly any other than that)
I'm not sure if this is normal or not for the Evo X, since it is the only one I've driven so far, but this super light steering weight is definitely not what I would prefer if I have any choice. Personally, I feel like a total lack of weight makes steering feel lifeless.

What I've been trying to do is increase the steering weight by reducing the amount of power steering assistance, and it's been a tough thing to figure out so far. I know that some weight can be added by toe-in and more negative caster up front, as well as tire choice, but despite having tried a few of these things, I've not noticed a massive difference.

According to the power steering section in the service manual, the power steering is classified as: Integral type (engine speed dependent type)
I assume this means that the power steering weight changes depending on the speed of the car, but I could be very wrong about this. (I don't notice much of a change myself)

Here's an article where someone figured out how to change the weight in his Lexus by changing the signal coming from the power steering ECU, but I have no idea if the system in our Evo's is similar at all.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Modif...8/article.html

Does anyone know if there is a power steering ECU anywhere in the car?
Additionally, does anyone know or has anyone attempted to alter the weight of their steering, by means of changing the power steering system, or any other method?

I've been stumped by this one, so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Hmm.. I've never had a complaint/heard a complaint like this one. Did you buy your X used? I suggest hopping on the regional forum and try to meet up with local Evo owner and see if it the same. Or maybe go to the dealership and see if a new one is the same.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if it helps, but wider, stickier tires will give the steering a heavier feel. Not sure if that's what you are going for though.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the evo steering is one of the best in the sedan world if not that.
So i am not sure what is a complain here. You just have to get used to it. Any modifications you will make on that, probably will ruin your car handling and safety. We have power steering so you will not add "weight" for the feeling in terms of the steering of the wheel.
There are things you just have get used to and adopt to your driving habit or the car is just not for you in this case.

If i were you i would go to the dealer to check it out, if they say it is fine then just leave it alone, and try to get used to it.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:49 AM

I bought my X with 1000 miles on it, basically new from the dealership.
I purchased it two years ago so I don't remember if the steering felt the same at the time of purchase or not.
It seems like either I have quite unusual preference for steering feel, or there is something very different about my car's steering, as I've never heard anyone else complain about the steering. Mine is light to the point where mid corner, if I let go of the wheel, there is almost no force pulling the wheel back to center. Even at freeway speeds, the wheel is feather-light.

I'm not complaining about the steering responsiveness or feedback, just the return-to-center weight when I turn the wheel, which is virtually zero in my case.
Does this sound unusual for you X owners? I'm going to go get my alignment done by a good speed shop in the area next week to see if anything is out of sorts there, but I think I will go to the dealership and test out a new one to see for myself if something in my car is off; that is a good suggestion.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:29 PM

Curious.. What tires? Pressure? Outside temp?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:39 PM

Since the winters are so bad here, I'm currently using the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's with the stock wheels. They were mounted by a local shop so I'm assuming the tire pressure is pretty standard.
The outside temp has been between 0 and 40 degrees F.
A few months ago, I had the Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's on the car with some aftermarket wheels that are 9 inches wide rather than 8.5. The weather was warmer during that time as well. With these tires on, I noticed a bit of a difference, but not a huge one.
My alignment specs are pretty drastic. 0* toe all around, -2.2 camber in front, -1.2 in rear, and stock caster. I'm going to be installing the Perrin PSRS soon for some added caster and I'll take the camber back to -1.75 and -1.0, hopefully that'll help a bit.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

We aren't seeing temps that low around here yet but I just had my Alpin PA3's installed and there is a noticeable difference in steering feel. I'm 100% sure it's the softer sidewalls. When the stock A13C's came off I noticed how rigid and dense the sidewall construction was, as expected. The car is now softer in the corners and I experience much more body roll. Ride comfort and road noise are the only things that "improved" with these tires, although their dry and wet grip has been impressive.

I haven't heard of any one adjusting the power streeting system, however, test-driving a new X would be a good baseline for comparison. I know when I drive other cars now steering feel is numb and unpredictable. I agree with Robevo, the steering is truly one of the best in the world.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
the evo steering is one of the best in the sedan world if not that.
So i am not sure what is a complain here. You just have to get used to it. Any modifications you will make on that, probably will ruin your car handling and safety. We have power steering so you will not add "weight" for the feeling in terms of the steering of the wheel.
There are things you just have get used to and adopt to your driving habit or the car is just not for you in this case.

If i were you i would go to the dealer to check it out, if they say it is fine then just leave it alone, and try to get used to it.
Agree. One of the best steering. I also understand OP's feeling. I own a BMW too, and comparing its steering to evo, its stiff as hell, feel like driving a truck. My wife can't do one hand parallel park in my 3series sedan, it's that heavy, and it's normal!!

I think it all comes down to preferences, and I like EVO's steering a lot better
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't go so far as the best steering on the world. My vote goes to the Elise. The Evo certainly has spectacular steering for a performance sedan.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:46 AM
Account Disabled

my volvo v70r steering felt lifeless.. as you never really knew if you had the right angle untill after the car shifted... with my evo x mr it's like a scalple.. when you turn to where you are looking.. thats exactly where the car goes. you can hit a penny on the road if you want.

now in regards to the weight.. with the stock advans on 18x8 wheels.. the weight did feel "heavier" than my 18x8 225 40 KW22 winters with studds .

On the other hand with these tires and the power level the car has you can easily 4 wheel drift them in any mode on any surface, dry,wet or snow. the car still while 4 wheel drifting acts like a scalple going right for the point at which your looking/steering. The drive train is simply amazing.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remove the power steering, I want to do this in my 8. I like a harder feel too.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

maybe your just so jacked that the steering wheel is nothing to you.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup
I wouldn't go so far as the best steering on the world. My vote goes to the Elise. The Evo certainly has spectacular steering for a performance sedan.
yes, but the Elise is not exactly a sedan , doesn't it?
We said:
"the evo steering is one of the best in the sedan world if not that."

Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Remove the power steering, I want to do this in my 8. I like a harder feel too.
I was thinking this too, but wouldn't that make it super hard to turn/maneuver at low speeds?

Quick Reply: Stock Evo X steering - make it heavier?