Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2011 Evo X GSR immobilized..Help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Evo X GSR immobilized..Help!

Guys/Gals,

I was driving back home on the interstate Monday and the car just suddenly died/stalled while on cruise control. I had to let the car roll over to the shoulder, turned it off and tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn't start. All the gauges lite up, sounds like the fuel pump is working, starter/alternater are both working, all piping seems to be on tight, etc but the car just won't fully catch and start. If feels like the car has been immobolized.

I had it towed to the nearest Mitsu dealership (recently been Mitsu franchised) and it's been 3 days but they haven't figured out what's wrong. They said it could be the keys not communicating with the ignition and I had to drive 4 hrs (2 hrs to and 2 hrs from) to get the spare keys for them to reprogram, but they are now saying it could be something with the wiring of the gauges that I had installed?? They also said the fuses are ok, but it still sounds to me like it's an electrical issue/problem.

I was just wondering if any of yall have experienced something similar to this before. Mitsu won't give me a loaner so I'm stuck without a car! It's really ticking me off. Any advice/suggestion/comments would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it turn over at all and not start? Or is it not even turning over?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like an issue i had... My car pretty much did the same thing except it was after a short drive, i came home and turned the car off. When i turned the car on it would not start. Had it towed to mitsu and it started fine. COuld of been flooded, but was strange.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it turn over but doesn't hold spark? Happened to my teg before and it was a broken timing belt....but I'm not so sure about the evo, thought evo had a timing chain?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

The car turns over, but it just won't catch and start...the dealership is saying it could be the Junction Box...but it's definitely something electrical
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty sure you/dealership has checked, but check the battery terminals/connections. My X was at the dealership a while ago and after driving home the car just turned off. When it came to a stop all the lights came back on. So I started checking things on the side of the freeway. One of connectors to the battery was loose and was just sitting on the battery.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OZ_2435
Pretty sure you/dealership has checked, but check the battery terminals/connections. My X was at the dealership a while ago and after driving home the car just turned off. When it came to a stop all the lights came back on. So I started checking things on the side of the freeway. One of connectors to the battery was loose and was just sitting on the battery.
Yeah, the battery's been checked. Still waiting to hear back from dealership today to see if they've pinpoint the issue yet. I need a car soon and mitsu won't give me a freakin loaner car
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Pop out a spark plug and find out if it's flooded..is it much colder where you are?...my car is different with bolt ons and new turbo..but my car was fine like yours..I drove home and it wouldnt start up. Basically the cold map needed tweaking and it was flooding my engine with fuel. If it cranks fine but won't catch it's likely flooding as mine did the same thing. Try that
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
It can't just be flooded if it has been sitting a week and still does that.

How/where do you install the gauges? What type of gauges did you install? What other mods do you have?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:55 AM

unfortunately, with something like this, it could ne a number of things, so a master tech with the car in front of him is really your only option. could be anything from an ignition switch having gone bad, to a faulty sensor. i hope they get you back on the road soon!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu said yesterday that they've narrowed it down to 1 of 3 things...the junction box, ecu, or pcu??? Any thoughts?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I think I found your answer ....
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Any word on a fix?!?! I know my 09 Ralliart gets tempermental starting in cold weather when my tank is below half.