Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Best BoV for Evo X?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what intake/bov would give a good aggressive sound. (without sounding to much like a subie)
Old Jul 6, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

If you want people to think you have a high performance car, get performance parts.
Going fast has nothing to do with loud sounds.

If you want to sound like you don't have a car that's properly set up for performance you should hook up an ipod with an MP3 of a loud woosh sound to an amp and a speaker in your engine bay and just push play when you wanted. It would have the effect and sound you want.

Alternatively, get the synapse DV (cause it's the best for performance) and set it up to vent to air. Excerpt from their manual:

Synchronic DV has the ability to vent to atmosphere for MAF
vehicles by staying normally closed under operating vacuum.
As you can see from the previous chart, there is only one
recommended configuration that will allow this setup. You will have
to apply nearly maximum spring pre-load adjustment (Clockwise)
until the valve is closed under idle conditions. Although, you
CaN, vent a MAF car to atmosphere, you SHOULD recirculate
for maximum performance. It should also be noted that applying
maximum pre-load, slows down the response of the valve. This
setup is a mere compromise for customers that seek to maximize
the audible discharge of their BOV, in exchange for maximum
performance. Use at your own discretion

http://www.synapseengineering.com/su...ual_webres.pdf
Old Jul 7, 2014, 04:35 AM

I'm running a tail bov I can't complain at all works great. Sounds was cool a bit ago but I believe that it should be function over form
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:41 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I just installed the new Greddy Type FV kit with the relocating adapter that moves the bov to the hotside. Will report.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

I am running the new Tial QRJ and it works flawlessly, the QR not so much.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would recommend a Tial!

Pm me for pricing

Thanks
-Ethan
www.stmtuned.com
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:43 PM

stick to stock, unless your pushing like 28 psi then you don't need an aftermarket one until then.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 09:46 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Synchronic is pretty much an SSQV rip off
Old Jul 7, 2014, 09:48 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jakee
stick to stock, unless your pushing like 28 psi then you don't need an aftermarket one until then.
And your internal wastegate would leak off before that anyways.

It depends what you want tho, I like the greddy because it moves the bov to the upper ic Pipe so it blows off the hot air before it goes back through the intercooler again. AGP pipes do that too.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 09:33 PM

So BOV is pointless, it's only for noise and to release pressure? Can someone direct me to a forum thread where I can read? I don't want to get any parts that are not necessary if stock works great. Please advise. Thank you
Old Mar 27, 2017, 07:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Clennan
So BOV is pointless, it's only for noise and to release pressure? Can someone direct me to a forum thread where I can read? I don't want to get any parts that are not necessary if stock works great. Please advise. Thank you
I started researching the Synapse BOV for the Evo X, but stayed with my stock BOV, even after installing my ETS Intake. (58K miles currently)

Stock BOV re-routed after ETS Intake
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Stock BOV works fine with the stock turbo. It will drive the nicest of any BOV available. When you get into turbo upgrades, and running more boost (more then 26-27psi), the Tial Q with a 6psi spring is a good option.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 127 Posts
25psi is the leak point

The stock bov is fine for the stock turbo (as mentioned). Once you upgrade you will have issues. I documented this in my thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ett-kamak.html

I logged the stock BOV "popping/leaking" at around 25psi which is what everyone said would happen. I am a hard data guy. So here is my hard data. I labelled it a "failure" on the graph but really what is shows is that pressure was lost and then the BOV would close and pressure would build again. Once it hit 25psi it leaked off a few PSI. This log was taken at WOT.

~Jaraxle
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:27 PM

Late but had to do it

Originally Posted by 1evil240
Evolution Z is right. What happens is that the MAF measures how much air enters the engine. Then with this number measured the ECU calculates the amount of fuel to be injected into the engine to combust with the air to achieve maximum efficiency.

For example, lets say the MAF measures 100 particles of air, then the ECU has the injectors give enough fuel to burn the 100 particles. If you vent to atmosphere the MAF will measure 100 particles but then you lose 40 to the atmosphere, the ECU will still give enough fuel to burn 100 particles but actually 60 get to the engine (100-40). Then you have excess fuel in the engine which doesn't combust and so u will run rich. Then the excess fuel will travel through your exhaust and once it reaches the end of your exhaust pipe, the fuel will meet air and combust at the tip of the exhaust making a loud back fire noise and over time you get that black stained rear bumper.

I personally love the sound of loud blowoff valves. You need to have your car tuned if you want to vent to atmosphere. I had a Greddy RS and it was the worst blow off valve because it leaks. It leaked after 2 months of only 14psi. It leaked with all my friends. I had an HKS that was really good but I didn't like the sound. Find one that doesn't leak under boost.
Air is not combustible/flammable nor is oxygen. So the engine will not try to burn the air particles, It will however try to burn the fuel. The oxygen only supports combustion.
Old May 21, 2023, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Diversion
Like others are saying - start with an intake.. I hear that certain intakes allow for the turbo spool to be very loud as well as a very noticeable BOV sound.. I bet people would assume you had aftermarket with just an intake.

All, which intakes are supposedly the loudest? Cold airs usually?
So all aftermarket short ram/CAI will most always move the location of the BoV, bringing up out of the lower engine bay with all the noise. Making the increased airflow and pressure release much more audible.

Quick Reply: Best BoV for Evo X?