Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Front end bumper is TOUGH

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Front end bumper is TOUGH

I have a couple friends who also have Xs. I went out to lunch with one of them today. We were turning right at a light when the SUV in front of us started to go, then slammed on his brakes. My friend reacted too slow, and tapped the guy's trailer hitch. I got out, thought for SURE his front end was trashed, and saw no damage to either car.

My friend calls the cops, they get there like immediately, look over both cars and say there is no damage.

Here's what I don't get- it was a decent impact, I had a wreck in my VIII several years ago, felt about the same, and it wadded it up. They exchanged numbers and left.

I am trying to get him to go get an estimate, because it has to have caused damage somewhere, but he insists no. I guess it scared me more, because I was in the passenger seat and felt powerless to stop it. It just sounded loud.

Anyway, anyone ever lightly rearended someone in your X? Post up if so, I'd like to hear if you experienced something similar, or you really damaged your car from a light hit and I am overreacting.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:13 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only situation ive been in was someone picking up an 18 wheelers tire thread chilling off the road (drunk and swerving driver...) and rocketing it straight to me. I tried dodging it as it was going straight to my intercooler but ended up hitting the driver side foglight destroying it, ripping the bumper apart and undertray as well as the foglight unit going into the SST cooler killing that as well... Highway speeds so I am getting the tire hit me around 80-90 mph. 6k in damages. So I cant really say the bumper is strong but yet it wasnt a simple tap from another object/vehicle :P
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

id say the best bet is to pull the bumper and check the backside of it along with the crash beam. also may want to check the intercooler as well since its right there.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be upgraded safety features of the X compared to the 8/9. FWIW, my fiancees 2011 Hyundai Elantra was hit in the back by a car going about 20 mph and when I felt the impact I thought the back was pancaked flat but when I got out to inspect the damage the only thing there were holes from the other cars license plate screws. Amazing lol.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I think it's just luck lol...

A friend of mine rear ended my 09 Ralliart a year ago in the SAME situation... I was going to make a right, made it seem as if I was gonna go but stopped all of a sudden cuz got cold feet lol (car from far away was coming faster than I realized) then my friend in his 09 Accord behind me goes and didn't realize I had stopped... when all of a sudden, BOOM! crash behind me loud as heck noise, I would guess the hit was 5/10mph?

Then we make a right and pull to the side and neither car had a scratch

I still think it was luck
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

It hit my front bumper on a parking pillar a while ago (lol) and it held up, it just unclipped.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a truck hit me at 20 mph and i was parked, unfortunately it dented in my bumperbar into my intercooler and into the radiator causing 5k in damage :/
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sev
It hit my front bumper on a parking pillar a while ago (lol) and it held up, it just unclipped.

Wife hit 2 curbs. One popped clip, another a scuff.

Replacing the bumper covers is expensive, fixing was much easier/cheaper. glad they held up

Last edited by sailing217; Dec 18, 2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: update
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:27 PM

I've never run into anything with mine, however I can attest to the rear quarter panels not being very strong.

I had an idiot in a subaru legacy back into to side of my car. It caved the quarter panel in, popped the rear bumper off and scuffed/creased it, broke the taillight, scratched the trunk, and broke some clips on the diffuser. Then the genius asked me if I even wanted to report it because "it didn't look that bad".
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:57 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sailing217
Wife hit 2 curbs. One popped clip, another a scuff.

She got rearended 4 days after owning it at about 20-25mph. small nickle size puncture on bumper from license plate.

Replacing the bumper covers is expensive
Yeah, insurance charged my shop over $5K for a new bumper cover and side fender. Lol...+ paint and all that other crap.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Hey loser, return a phone call.

Originally Posted by Noize
I have a couple friends who also have Xs. I went out to lunch with one of them today. We were turning right at a light when the SUV in front of us started to go, then slammed on his brakes. My friend reacted too slow, and tapped the guy's trailer hitch. I got out, thought for SURE his front end was trashed, and saw no damage to either car.

My friend calls the cops, they get there like immediately, look over both cars and say there is no damage.

Here's what I don't get- it was a decent impact, I had a wreck in my VIII several years ago, felt about the same, and it wadded it up. They exchanged numbers and left.

I am trying to get him to go get an estimate, because it has to have caused damage somewhere, but he insists no. I guess it scared me more, because I was in the passenger seat and felt powerless to stop it. It just sounded loud.

Anyway, anyone ever lightly rearended someone in your X? Post up if so, I'd like to hear if you experienced something similar, or you really damaged your car from a light hit and I am overreacting.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by T6
The only situation ive been in was someone picking up an 18 wheelers tire thread chilling off the road (drunk and swerving driver...) and rocketing it straight to me. I tried dodging it as it was going straight to my intercooler but ended up hitting the driver side foglight destroying it, ripping the bumper apart and undertray as well as the foglight unit going into the SST cooler killing that as well... Highway speeds so I am getting the tire hit me around 80-90 mph. 6k in damages. So I cant really say the bumper is strong but yet it wasnt a simple tap from another object/vehicle :P

the same thing happened to me but in my evo 8 not the 10

all fixed up!!!3500 in damage