Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

ams stages????

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ams stages????

got an evo x gsr and im looking to get into one of the ams stage kits.. pros and cons???
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

get ready for the AMS stuff is overpriced bla bla bla....

Don't have the X however I ran a full AMS setup and my car performed flawlessly and made a ton of power on the setup. Their parts are of the best quality and fit n finish. They do cost more that is for sure but a lot of their parts are now casted which is a huge benefit.

Overall you will be exceptionally happy but your thread is going to get full of the AMS is expensive and over priced for what it is speaches.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I think you'd better off picking your exact combination of parts rather than buying a set staged upgrade; at least that's what I do.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:44 AM
T6
Evolving Member

AMS is good stuff, they might be a bit overpriced sure... I wanted AMS and I got AMS stuff.

Packages are your "easy" way out. What I did when I planned on my set up was to take those packages as my blueprint and replaced them with the parts from other companies and what not.

Back half a year ago, cobb had Stage 2 listed on their website (got removed due to FP green recall) and I replaced the parts from there with the stuff I wanted. The ETS intercooler is 4" which is bigger than the AMS but I wanted to see A M S stencil on my intercooler and I got it. Its not a bad intercooler at all, a bit expensive and not as "maximizing gains" as the ETS one but I do not care. My baby, my call

What I will suggest you to do (from my own headache), do not mix up your engine bay parts. go with one company and stick with it. I have the AMS sst cooler and AEM intake, worse intake ever... ONLY due to its sheer size when it comes to FITMENT of LICP but i love the look of it. Having that intake and the SST cooler was PITA to install the ETS LICP (which is STOCK fitment/size).

The best part of the "packages" is that they are all designed to work with each other perfectly when it comes to performance and fitment (which is the most important part).
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please feel free to shot me a PM if you have any questions about our packages or parts. I'm sure we can work out a deal when you are ready to purchase
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

AMS stuff is top notch they do it right it is over priced compaed to others but you pay for what you get......
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'd day just get the AMS downpipe and just the rest is your choice.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T6
The ETS intercooler is 4" which is bigger than the AMS but I wanted to see A M S stencil on my intercooler and I got it.
So you bought the AMS IC? Or you slapped an AMS stencil on an ETS intercooler??
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:53 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AFD
So you bought the AMS IC? Or you slapped an AMS stencil on an ETS intercooler??
I have the AMS FMIC. What I tried to say is that if you wanna meta game things going with an ETS IC would be better for you as its 4" instead of the AMS one which is 3"5' but I wanted the AMS FMIC and I got the AMS one.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mix and match like I do ETS & AMS parts ftw
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:35 AM

cool, thanks for all the replys.. so here is another question...

i have an intake on the car now and the other night i hit about 6k rpm and my wastegate just dumped my boost... check engine light came on and everything.. i read the code and it was "over boosting". if i swap the intake and run full AMS with a tune, should this fix the problem?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha X
Mix and match like I do ETS & AMS parts ftw
If the OP decides to look at our parts, feel free to send me a PM or phone call. I will be more then happy to help you out. Best of luck with your build.

Michael
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:21 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fearless857
cool, thanks for all the replys.. so here is another question...

i have an intake on the car now and the other night i hit about 6k rpm and my wastegate just dumped my boost... check engine light came on and everything.. i read the code and it was "over boosting". if i swap the intake and run full AMS with a tune, should this fix the problem?
Get yourself a grimmspeed 3port boost controller and retune and you will have your problem fixed.

Just an fyi, I did business with Dan@AMS, Michael@ETS, Adam@MAP and all of Cobb Tuning @ Plano, tx. All are great guys and I am almost to a point of hitting 400 whp so I have gotten quite a few parts from all of them and needless to say, I did keep going back to them for quite a few reasons. You wont be disappointed whichever way you decide to go and use them as a reference.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

I do enjoy both ams parts as well as ets parts. From what i can tell both parts are equally good in both build quality and in performance. I chose ETS because of the price. so its up to you if you are more into "name brands" go AMS if you want to save a little bit of cash that can be used to get more mods and not suffer in the performance division go ETS
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:14 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
Please feel free to shot me a PM if you have any questions about our packages or parts. I'm sure we can work out a deal when you are ready to purchase
Cool Ill be in touch with you as i will purchasing soon however, im just curious on my 08 evo x gsr my intake system does not look like your pictures.. my BOV is in not near the front its in rear toward the turbo... is the image you guys have for your intake system not just an image or is that the one for mine?? if you can share any info on that id appreciate it thanks.

also what if i want the stage 2 kit but already the intercooler... can we deduct that out so i save some money but still take advantage of the package?