Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

leather steering wheel failure?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather steering wheel failure?

i know a few evo with this issue where the wheels seems to be peeling....seems like its a cheap leather. will mitsu fix under warranty?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:00 PM

I think it would be considered a wear and tear item. So no warranty unless the stitching came apart.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by logicalfaith
I think it would be considered a wear and tear item. So no warranty unless the stitching came apart.

I asked about this to my dealer, they said it is a wear and tear item (just like your tires) so no warranty.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Replaced wheels at Acura due to wear.....under warranty.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Man that sucks. I would think the warranty would cover that.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:53 PM

from what i heard this happens to most of the Xs but its a hit or miss at the dealer i guess. mine is starting to get "wrinkly" i guess i would say and i only have 3k on my 2011.....its rough for a 37k car this shouldnt happen. same wit the saggin aero kit people have its non-sense but then again we are buyin a street legal "rally" car i guess.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

The wheel on my ix started peeling at about the 9 o clock position. They denied my warranty claim.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by blkmkIII
Replaced wheels at Acura due to wear.....under warranty.
Honda is known to be fairly generous when it comes to warranty repairs. I think a little xymol to clean and Ein Zet (1Z) leather care to condition should take good care of your steering wheel leather. Not grabbing it after you eat greasy food might help too.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:49 PM

I noticed my steering wheel is very easy to scratch. Like very cheap leather. You can take ur fingernail and put a permanent deep tear into the wheel. I have a few scratches and what-not around my steering wheel. Just wear and tear I would assume as well. Can't see Mitsu covering it
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

The "wear and tear" items listed as non-covered in the warranty only mention brakes and clutch. Might want to visit another dealership about that steering wheel. Honestly, knowing Mitsu and how they cover drive-train stuff, the *only* reason I bought my 100k mile warranty is for my leather interior and AC vents, window motors, and the like. I hate it when that stuff starts to fall apart.

Saying the steering wheel is wear and tear, is saying the window motors, door hinges, and fuel pump is wear an tear only because they get used when you drive the car. If you're within your 36/36 they should be covering that
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
The "wear and tear" items listed as non-covered in the warranty only mention brakes and clutch. Might want to visit another dealership about that steering wheel. Honestly, knowing Mitsu and how they cover drive-train stuff, the *only* reason I bought my 100k mile warranty is for my leather interior and AC vents, window motors, and the like. I hate it when that stuff starts to fall apart.

Saying the steering wheel is wear and tear, is saying the window motors, door hinges, and fuel pump is wear an tear only because they get used when you drive the car. If you're within your 36/36 they should be covering that
well put. im gonna wait a lil. ive only had the car for 2 months and about 2k on it now so i have a while till my bumper to bumper is up. mitsu is really tough on warranty work. i had a bunch of hondas and all the warranty work was easy. same with bmw. never heard of having to send picture to the rep then get word if they can warrant it.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:56 PM

I have so many scratches on the leather wrap steering,not to mentioned the upper part of the steering are sort of fading away,perhaps its due to the hot weather here in asia.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlade

This is true, but they could also take the stand point that leather wears with use, just like leather seats cracking, and leather armrests. Therefore it's up to you to take care of your "abnormally worn" steering wheel. not saying it's right, but they definitely don't cover things they don't have to.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4b11ftw
well put. im gonna wait a lil. ive only had the car for 2 months and about 2k on it now so i have a while till my bumper to bumper is up.
Take it in sooner, rather than later.. major steering wheel wear at 2-months or 2k-miles is abnormal imo. Plus it might be easier for them to justify a replacement at only 2 months rather than 3 years, when your bumper-to-bumper is about to expire.

I'm at 2 years, and mine still looks almost new.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AFD
Take it in sooner, rather than later.. major steering wheel wear at 2-months or 2k-miles is abnormal imo. Plus it might be easier for them to justify a replacement at only 2 months rather than 3 years, when your bumper-to-bumper is about to expire.

I'm at 2 years, and mine still looks almost new.
Yeah, I totally how understand how a dealer would tell me it's wear and tear, but ultimately they put a month and/or mileage on a warranty, anything that they are covering during that period is "under" the warranty. It's why I went 10yr/100k mile with mine for this stuff.

But this latest comment is definitely correct, sooner than later. If you take it in sooner, it's documented that much sooner. Also, take the drive and go to a different dealer than the one giving you grief. That really sounds like a very BAD dealership to not cover your steering wheel with as little as 2k miles. If you contacted Mitsu corporate directly about 2k miles I'm sure they would even say that it should not be coming apart.