Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Headlight condensation warranty denied

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:55 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Or take a gun with you and force them to do it for free. I mean, once we move into committing a crime to get this done, why not go all in?
Like I said above, skirting the TSB by adding water seems dishonest..

But I also find it even more dishonest of Mitsu to provide a 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, yet not honor an issue that they're aware of, that could potentially be a safety issue.

BTW, one of my brake lights fogged up nicely on the inside this morning.. thankfully, it went away. I've owned dozens of pos $3k beaters that never had dumb problems like these.

Love my Evo, but Mitsu could drop off the planet for all I care
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, not honoring the spirit of a warranty is dishonest, but, as I tell my kids (who are 11 and 7), when someone does something that hurts you, whether intentionally or not, you can escalate the situation or you can solve the problem (often by walking away).
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Excellent advice. But if he walks away from mitsu, then it doesn't really solve the problem at all.

Maybe escalating the situation verbally with corporate would be the best, and most honest advice.

Might not accomplish anything, but at least they'd be aware of his dissatisfaction.. which in a perfect world, would lead to a revised TSB and a change in manufacturing and/or assembly for future models (and in this imperfect world, he could just purchase or have someone retrofit some swank projector assemblies, which would be good for the economy - as would be having someone in corporate earn their pay by addressing his issue).

Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put some water in it and take it back

Last edited by Alpha X; Dec 24, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:02 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alpha X
Put some water in it and take it back
Or, put some of the blue washer fluid in both (or maybe red gatorade, or green coolant)..

..then act real upset, and threaten to contact the EPA or DPA because you're worried your car is polluting the environment with radioactive blinker fluid.

And keep a straight face the whole time

Last edited by AFD; Dec 24, 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: ghrammer edit
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:47 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
I build headlights professionaly, and trust me, your problem may indeed be that the lights are sealed TOO WELL.

If there is no way for the humidity, pressure and temperature on the inside, to get to the outside levels the lights can get condensation inside. This is like taking a cold glass of water out of the fridge on a warm summer day. Condensation gets on the warm side.

When I retrofit headlights I drill a small hole, about 1/4 or 1/8 inch and cover it with a small patch of gortex. The gortex allows gases to pass but not liquids.

This may solve your problem.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:18 PM

Damn ,I just purchased my '11 two days ago and there's condensation getting into the headlights and fogs too.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

leave a bucket out to collect rain water and dump it in the headlight and then tell them it's gotten worse
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GrandmasterCow
Damn ,I just purchased my '11 two days ago and there's condensation getting into the headlights and fogs too.
Huh, really? I wonder if this is a 2011 MY issue.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:58 PM

yes a hot bulb and water dont mix = exploding bulb . this could potentionally happen on a bad curve then lights go out causeing severe accident. ask them how they would feel about getting sued for thousands or they could just fix the problem for a few hundred!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBO X GSR
yes a hot bulb and water dont mix = exploding bulb . this could potentionally happen on a bad curve then lights go out causeing severe accident. ask them how they would feel about getting sued for thousands or they could just fix the problem for a few hundred!
Hopefully, only one of the bulbs would blow - and not both at the same time.

Then again, it not like our bulbs are easy to change anyway.

I remember changing a bulb in the dark, without a flashlight, just by touch on my old Saturn.. don't think I could do that with the X.

Heck, I'm not even sure I could change out the bulbs without removing the whole damn bumper first
Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

this stuff is never good to read. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on my headlights/foglights now.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I'll let you guys knows what corporate says by Tuesday, I'm suppose to have a response by COB then.

My current plan is to dig up some FMVSS regulations tonight and see if there's any requirements for distance new cars must illuminate on the road. If there's some concerete requirement from NHTSA, I'm going to pull that card if they deny this again. We'll see how it goes.

Thankfully, I have access to Toyota Legal through work, so we'll see how that argument goes if I mention I also have corporate lawyers
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you guys not read what this guy said?

Originally Posted by Jp7
I build headlights professionaly, and trust me, your problem may indeed be that the lights are sealed TOO WELL.

If there is no way for the humidity, pressure and temperature on the inside, to get to the outside levels the lights can get condensation inside. This is like taking a cold glass of water out of the fridge on a warm summer day. Condensation gets on the warm side.

When I retrofit headlights I drill a small hole, about 1/4 or 1/8 inch and cover it with a small patch of gortex. The gortex allows gases to pass but not liquids.

This may solve your problem.
you can also crack your headlight bulbs slightly to allow air to come out, or do what someone else did and take a blowdryer to the inside openings.

there IS a simpler fix to this people
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Someone's comment made me think...I might consider leaving the condensation just to see how many suckers I can convince that the car actually has "blinker fluid" :-D

Better yet, take it back to the same dealer denying the claim for a service, and tell them that if it's not broken, then it's obviously low on 'blinker fluid' and then ask them to fill it.
--Either you can prove they aren't topping off fluids, or they will break it enough to warranty the repair ^__^

Quick Reply: Headlight condensation warranty denied