Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Headlight condensation warranty denied

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:57 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
One thing that I have done is used a "dissicant" package (might be spelled wrong) to absorb excess humidity that may have gotten into your lamps... Have you ever bought a product and a little bag (sorta like a tea-bag size) is inside?
You mean those little silica bags?

Anyway, thanks for the good info
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Jp, I actually used one of those silica bags yesterday but couldn't find a good place to permanently pit one. As for the hole, I may end up trying that soon. Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:34 PM

That's honestly what my co-worker suggested, I work at another OEM so I stopped by our electronics department and had a chat with one of the headlight engineers and he suggested the same thing.

I'm going to give them until next week to see what they say, this is honestly ridiculous. I passed over a new 5.0 mustang or the Golf R to get this evo, and something tells me neither of those companies would be saying something so ridiculous if their cars had this issue.

Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sirsol
Thanks Jp, I actually used one of those silica bags yesterday but couldn't find a good place to permanently pit one. As for the hole, I may end up trying that soon. Thanks

As im sure you have, read the warranty very carefully. Would be sad to try and make look like fools when its actually you.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:49 AM

if your out of options, you can open up the headlight and just reseal it. but the dealer should honor the waranty tho.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by msb175
that's def a way to get their attention. this issue really sucks. you'd think bumper-to-bumper warranty would cover these sort of issues. Since when did bumper-to-bumper warranty mean "we'll fix it if it only affects operational use..."

unless it's listed as a option on the sticker "occasional headlight/foglight fogging and moisture" it's not normal and should be fixed, be it operational affectedness or not. my .02 cents.
That's what I don't get...

These cars are supposed to have bumper-to-bumper warranty on factory defects... a headlamp condensation means factory defect, means replaceable!... it's only one freaking part worth probably $200 bucks for them to make, for a car worth $35+ thousand...

Why would they risk their warranty reputation on such a minor issue?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jazket
How could this possibly hurt their warranty reputation? Do you know what their current reputation is? If they even write back to say "bite me" when you ask to have this fixed then that's above average for Mitsu.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:59 AM

Did you pour any water in? Did they ever fix it?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:55 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by jazket
That's what I don't get...

These cars are supposed to have bumper-to-bumper warranty on factory defects... a headlamp condensation means factory defect, means replaceable!... it's only one freaking part worth probably $200 bucks for them to make, for a car worth $35+ thousand...

Headlight condensation in the form of NON-Liquid puddles is not considered a factory defect. It frequently appears after the lights are turned on because the temperature becomes higher than the ambient, and this causes the phenomena. This is physics. Didn't you read my earlier post - I do this professionally.

I don't know any OEM that would replace a lamp for a fog of condensation, only standing liquid.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
Headlight condensation in the form of NON-Liquid puddles is not considered a factory defect. It frequently appears after the lights are turned on because the temperature becomes higher than the ambient, and this causes the phenomena. This is physics. Didn't you read my earlier post - I do this professionally.

I don't know any OEM that would replace a lamp for a fog of condensation, only standing liquid.
right, that makes sense, but i don't think the DRL's are so warm that the condensation in the OP car NEVER goes away. didn't he even say he took out the bulb, blow dried the headlight, left in the sun and the condensation was back after leaving over night? In that instance, no bulbs were on and the temps inside the headlight and outside should be the same, if not very close.

if condensation is normal, then just about every car sitting out in dealership lots during cold mornings/afternoons should have some sort of condensation on the inside? i don't think the "average joe" car buyer is going to think that's normal and buy the car with moisture in the headlights w/o questions and asking for a replacement/fix.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

it's only headlights, not a big deal. it will go away after you turn your lights on.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
it's only headlights, not a big deal. it will go away after you turn your lights on.
I believe he was saying that if the inside of the headlight housing heats up and it's cold outside, it would *create* the condensation. So turning your headlights on would create the problem.

think of an ice cold soda on a hot day. the outside of the cup forms condensation that drops down the outside of the cup. Now picture this inside out, cold outside, heat (light) inside. Condensation on the inside.

Make sense?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
How could this possibly hurt their warranty reputation? Do you know what their current reputation is? If they even write back to say "bite me" when you ask to have this fixed then that's above average for Mitsu.
That cracked me up!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EXcel4600c
One question that i have is.... Does the condensation effect light output and is it hindering the operation of the headlight, if not then thats probably why Mitsu is not replacing it. It just like with the Fuel relay issue the Dealer wont fix it under warranty unless its an operational issue. If you want it replaced because of looks, well then your probably SOL.
I think he is more angered at the fact that his 2011 Evo which is $35,000+ new, has a defect and the dealership is running him through the ringer on it. I'd be pissed