Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X in snow ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forget blizzaks get some Nokians best snow tires I have used btw this car is awesome in snow just like my previous sti
Old Jan 3, 2012, 06:39 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by black95tt

*edit* I think this dude is trolling.
You think I'm trolling, or the OP? I'm a moderator....
Old Jan 3, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moderators can troll too But I think he was referring to the OP.

Either something is broken, or it's the tires. I've driven a WRX (non-STi), and this is WAY better in the snow. I had the unfortunate experience of slush on the stock Advans and it was quite acceptable, but not something I'd want to try every day. Once I got the winter tires on (Michelin Alpin PA3), I have had two snow driving experiences and I have the urge to drive like an idiot because simply put it won't slide without doing something stupid in a regular snow situation. Yes, on ice, any car will slide, but in snow this is the best car I've ever driven, from the WRX, to BMWs to trucks in 4WD.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

alright make sure you use a set thiner then the 245 's ,
get something like 225 45 18 ,
and then youll be happy , that way youll save a little money too buy your 265 for the summer lol....
Old Jan 3, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
You think I'm trolling, or the OP? I'm a moderator....
No, sorry. I was speaking to OP. Looking at other threads he's posted, he poses a vague question like this one, and then never responds. Kinda fishy if you ask me.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I use the Continental Extreme Contact. Great tire for the price. And yes, Advans are a no-no in snow. Softer compound tire will be rock hard in cold temps.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

As soon as i brought my car home from the dealer i had a pair of stock GSR wheels that i bought used from a fellow member here and purchased new set of tires contis dws, didnt snow yet so i dont know how good they are but i chose those because there good for all year around, dont have to keep swaping and stuff.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:43 AM

you can go anywhere, if you get stuck....well, you should NEVER get stuck in an evo
Old Jan 4, 2012, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Blizzak LM60s FTW. Just like you throw on sandals in the summer you throw on boots in the winter. A performance car that handles as well as the Evo needs 2 different sets of tires if you live in an area that has consistent temperatures lowers than 45 degree. Southern states I wouldn't be to concerned about it. With the last 2 winters we had in Jersey I was able to plow through everything.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:45 AM

I have a set of nitto neo gens. Supposed to be all-seasons and purchased because i drove my evo 8 in the snow with summer tires and it went fine so i thought these would go better on the x. It does fine on city streets in the snow but i got on the highway this morning with the snow setting on and it seemed like the yaw control was going crazy, switching sides like crazy. It did the same thing in the rain with the stock a13s. I had tractor trailers blowing past me so i know it wasnt that bad, just an inch or so.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Even on summer tyres, my X was one of only two cars to make it to work on a rare snow day in Alabama in January 2011. The other was a Land Rover! I even had to go rescue a co-worker who tried to make it in with a BMW and got stuck on a hill. Nobody was on the roads, and I was able to crusie at around 50MPH with the air dam acting like a snow plough and the snow flying up onto the screen. Yes, I felt like Tanner Foust coming down the mountainside, if only for a few hours
Attached Thumbnails Evo X in snow ?!?!-evosnowsmall.jpg  

Last edited by nine3shoof; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:19 PM

The evo is a blast to drive in the snow.

Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Not that I think that this thread is entirely serious but.. Top Gear US did put the X up against pro skiers on a down-mountain challenge.

A good place to start is about 4:20...

At some point you'll see Tanner Foust say "For all you Subaru owners who think the Evo is just a pavement queen, think again"

Relevant, totally, entertaining, oh yes... so if you have any questions remaining about how the Evo handles in snow after that haha

(hopefully picking up my X this weekend )
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayh3mNVEvo
so whats the trick to drving this car in snow
Please note, everyone, that the thread is supposed to be about driving, not tires.

To answer the actual question, the trick is to first realize that "being all over the place" is exactly what you want. You are used to an understeering pig that does not want to change directions. You now have a rally car that wins just about every low-grip event that it enters at the professional level (i.e., WRC-3 aka PWRC) precisely because it loves to change directions. You need to learn to embrace the wiggles and waggles, not fight them. Fighting them will just get you into a tank-slapping spin. You roll - as it were - with the wiggle and waggles, and when the car is pointing in the correct direction, you feed in the powah! If it's not wiggling when you need it to, turn out (briefly), lift and turn in. (This is usually referred to as a Scandanavian Flick.) As above, once it is pointing where it needs to be pointing, feed in the power. No stomping like an idiot; feed in the power smoothly but without fear.

Second, keep in mind that driving on snow and ice is (or, at least, should be) nothing like driving on pavement. On pavement, you need lateral grip because the car turns DURING the corner. On snow and ice, you only need longitudinal grip because you rotate BEFORE entry and drive "straight" through the corner. Because Scoobies are such pigs, most people just drive them on snow as if it were pavement. You now have a real rally car, so it drive it like one.

Oh, and it goes without saying that you practice off-road and in a safe place. Because it does take practice.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM

I enjoy oversteer like anyone else. Im not new to evos or driving in the winter. My all over the place was on a straight, flat interstate with a dusting of snow and n steering input. I keep getting a back end wiggle. This with t/c on and snow mode. I might consider fully off for highway next time. Took backroads home from work today and we have 3" of the white stuff here. Had a blast.

Quick Reply: Evo X in snow ?!?!