Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR Mitsubishi Buy Back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI on the dealership in that add (again, just FYI) Don Herring is a very reputable dealer (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of) and historically supports mods/warranty, they have a great relationship with COBB and sell (not sure if they still do) and actually warranty COBB stage I & II cars right from the showroom floor. They know the Evo X and issues associated with them very well.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^sorry if off topic but i just can't get over the cony detition thing up to now then i saw your sig.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Wondering how the guy got Mitsu to buy back with almost 60k miles on the car?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

There's a friend here in Phx that's under some financial strain and selling his 10' EvoX for like 29.5k and I think he only have 18k miles on the car. He's been returning the car to stock, but the the OE GSR wheels are powdercoated bright green. Has it rolling on JIC coil-overs too.

Anyhow, the car is solid and not messed up in any way. Guy is a long time auto tech and works as a manager for a repair shop. If you're still looking for a car, 29k is a ways up from that listing, but PM me and I'll share his listing with you. Here's a pic of it:

Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:06 PM

Not having a clean and clear title does a lot to a vehicle's value. If you try to resell it you'll be dealing with buyers that will have the same reservations as you. Think of it this way, the amount that the are taking off the car now will be similar to the amount you may have to take off the kbb value to sell.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 01:23 PM

Looks like they sold it ... oh well guess i'll keep on the lookout thanks for the advice also I'm not really interested in buying the GSR the wife has to be able to drive the car and needless to say her learning a stick would be a long and painful process even though i keep telling her she needs to learn in case of the impending apocalypse.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
There's a friend here in Phx that's under some financial strain and selling his 10' EvoX for like 29.5k and I think he only have 18k miles on the car. He's been returning the car to stock, but the the OE GSR wheels are powdercoated bright green. Has it rolling on JIC coil-overs too.

Anyhow, the car is solid and not messed up in any way. Guy is a long time auto tech and works as a manager for a repair shop. If you're still looking for a car, 29k is a ways up from that listing, but PM me and I'll share his listing with you. Here's a pic of it:

That's not a great deal when u can get a new 11 for 31
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:16 AM

That car you are referring to I actually purchased. I was a bit hesitant due to it coming back as a lemon, but with further research it looks like the issues that were occuring were most likey from the common FPR vacuum hose and a owner who had know knowledge of the problem. Tranny was updated with a 2011 SST and car has a full factory warranty for 2/24k. Have not had any issues with the vehicle what so ever. Upon purchase i noticed that the same "problems" the owner was referring to and were listed on the title are the same tale-tale signs of that FPR hose, Rough Idle, Stalling upon a stop. Simple 2 dollar hose clamp and problem solved. I was really not interested after learning that the car had previous problems but comming from Don Herring, who as you all know, is a top notch dealer, reservations were put aside and i pulled the trigger. I could not be happier and feel like i got a good deal considering that this had full 60K service and all documented service prior, new tires, new tranny, and warranty from Mitsu. Only time will tell but so far so good. Look forward to seeing you all at some of the local Taxas meets and showing off the new ride. Interior and exterior were spotless and the car is overall in pristine condition.

Cheers,
Brett

BTW Post #1...Whoo
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:26 AM

You probably spend more money fixing the car up later... it will be a headache.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:30 AM

Like I said only time will tell, but this is a car that will be kept for the duration of my life. Never been so enamered with an automobile and the way it drives and handles. If thats the case then let the mods begin. Staying bone stock for the duration of the warranty.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:03 AM

I hope you didn't pay full price.

I found it doubtful or strange that Mitsubishi wouldn't know about the FPR hose problem, and slap a clamp on it, document it and send it on his way. The guy must have had a pretty good reason to make Mitsubishi buy it back 4 years later at 60K miles. With how stingy Mitsu is on their warranties I couldn't see them just rolling over for this guy with a car this old/used.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PSMMR08
Like I said only time will tell, but this is a car that will be kept for the duration of my life. Never been so enamered with an automobile and the way it drives and handles. If thats the case then let the mods begin. Staying bone stock for the duration of the warranty.
Keep in mind that Don Herring is mod friendly. There's quite a few of us here in DFW that bought our Evos from the Irving/Plano stores. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Don Herring Mitsu has sold some COBB Stage 1 and 2 cars from the showroom floor with warranty. It's been a while since they've had a car like that on the lot but they HAVE done it. Most of us here are running what would be considered Stage 1 and 2 mods. Don Herring Jr also comes to NTEC monthly 3rd Tuesday meets so he knows the Evo community here pretty well. I wouldn't let "modding = voided warranty" keep you from modding the Evo.

Check out the NTEC section of EvoM too!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...club-ntec-303/
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:10 AM

too bad the ad is gone. i wanted to check it out
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I hope you didn't pay full price.

I found it doubtful or strange that Mitsubishi wouldn't know about the FPR hose problem, and slap a clamp on it, document it and send it on his way. The guy must have had a pretty good reason to make Mitsubishi buy it back 4 years later at 60K miles. With how stingy Mitsu is on their warranties I couldn't see them just rolling over for this guy with a car this old/used.

The reason they bought i back was due to the customer *****ing and moaning about the length it took to get a new trans from Japan, apparently due to the recent natural disasters, he wouldnt wait for a new one which apparently took 3+ months. They might be stingy but as far as I know it was due to this gentleman escalating the issue to a level that it was just easier to buy back the vehicle instead of deal with him. As far as the service record it had no know issues untill 59k when they diagnosed the "rough idle and stalling" as a trans and ecu issue, sounds like a FPR hose issue. I immediately got it home and found that the hose was looser than a 50 cent lady of the night, no zip tie or signs of one. New hose and clamp and it was good as new. Like I stated above it has a new 2011 SST trans and factory ECU re-program. With the warranty and reputation of Don Herring, my trepidation was set aside. If anything does become of this I have peace of mind with the Full warranty covering any and all moving parts. Time will be the only thing to tell, but I'm happy with it. See you fellow Evo members on the road.

Cheers,
Brett

Last edited by PSMMR08; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:57 AM

well hey good luck guess you knew better than i did what you were getting into i have yet to hear about that issue so sounds like you might have the upper hand now

Quick Reply: Evo X MR Mitsubishi Buy Back