Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo VIII, IX or X-GSR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012 | 11:55 AM

Question Evo VIII, IX or X-GSR?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask what may have been asked before, but I am limiting it to 3 trims.

I'm looking for an Evo, and its not a definite for now, but I need more than my ES Sport, though it has proven itself very worthy.

I have the sudden worry of feeling "outdated" with the various Evo VIII's and IX's for sale that are scattered about. But I do love them, and I can deal with an older model.

But I've also gotten interested in the newer X (GSR trim) .

There's differences between the 3 generations, but if you were to have a choice between, say an Evo VIII, IX .. or the Evo X GSR, which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 12:24 PM

The X is probably the more "toned down" Evo but is the best handling out of the box. Probably dearer to mod the X as (certainly in the UK) there seems to be a "X tax" on upgrade parts
May depend what you want the car for, if a X would you go manual or SST?
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

i would choose a IX. don't get me wrong, i own an X but the IX is one of my favorites. X is a good DD though.

Last edited by davey111483; Jan 8, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

there are too many ways to look at this question.

The VIII is a lot cheaper than the IX for pretty much the same car

The X is a much better DD than the IX, with the more modern interior

but ironically, as most will say out of the three, I would buy the IX
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Funny you mentioned this. Last July, I missed out by about 10 minutes from buying an absolutely mint 2004 XIII that was for sale at a Toyota dealership with 21,000 miles! Gorgeous car. I was bummed. So, I began to look for an nice IX, which is my favorite Evo. Just couldn't find anything around where I live and it is so risky to buy used over the internet. So, I ended up buying a new X. I love the X and it is a fun car, but it lacks the rawness and pureness that an XIII or IX have. Personally, I would look for a clean used XIII or IX. I don't see them becoming outdated. They are classics and highly sought after by enthusiasts.
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I love the look of the X. I probably won't ever be using the Evo to its full potential no matter which year or trim I got so any works for me! If they had 8's and 9's in Canada without the headaches and worries of beater US ones, I would have went that route.
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

wow IBL

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-ix-merge.html
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

In my opinion people look at the IX and VIII with rose colored glasses. Yes they are classics in a sense, but stepping out of an X into those older cars and it's night and day. The X is a thoroughly modern power house, which gives you everything with no compromises - modern appointments such as bluetooth (and cruise control, which is modern for an Evo lol), performance, and the latest technology which makes an Evo an Evo. IX and VIII are both a huge step backwards in my opinion although I respect both cars to death.
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
In my opinion people look at the IX and VIII with rose colored glasses. Yes they are classics in a sense, but stepping out of an X into those older cars and it's night and day. The X is a thoroughly modern power house, which gives you everything with no compromises - modern appointments such as bluetooth (and cruise control, which is modern for an Evo lol), performance, and the latest technology which makes an Evo an Evo. IX and VIII are both a huge step backwards in my opinion although I respect both cars to death.
I agree with this statement. Moving from a IX to a X you could never convince me to go back to the older Evo. The X truly is superior in every way; it handles better, better interior creatures comforts and features, it even makes more power with similar mods (in my personal experiences at least). Honestly, the only con is slightly worse gas mileage which is probably due to the extra weight. Oh, and brand new X insurance was cheaper for me than used IX insurance; I'm guessing this is due to all the additional safety features. If you can afford it, get the X, easy choice.
Old Jan 8, 2012 | 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I agree with this statement. Moving from a IX to a X you could never convince me to go back to the older Evo. The X truly is superior in every way; it handles better, better interior creatures comforts and features, it even makes more power with similar mods (in my personal experiences at least). Honestly, the only con is slightly worse gas mileage which is probably due to the extra weight. Oh, and brand new X insurance was cheaper for me than used IX insurance; I'm guessing this is due to all the additional safety features. If you can afford it, get the X, easy choice.
Agree! In the rare case where you're about to crash or get hit by someone, I'd bet my life on the X with all those air bags!
Old Jan 9, 2012 | 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
I agree completely. My rose colored glasses make me wish I got used IX, but the reality of the IX as your primary method of transportation isn't that's great. At times I do miss the more raw feel and lighter weight of the IX, but I'm sure if I switched back I would regret it in the long run.
Old Jan 9, 2012 | 12:21 AM

Get an X I own one and DD it and I love the car. If u get it get the SSS package with the smart key. I love not having to pull my keys out of my pocket to drive of start the car and as soon as I hold the handle to the car it unlocks the door! So bad assss!
Old Jan 9, 2012 | 12:31 AM
EvoM Community Team
Veteran: Navy

I love my IX, but until I've flogged a X, I can't comment.

Either way, it's win-win.

Old Jan 9, 2012 | 12:32 AM

got an 08 GSR and love it.

the body is just so rigid. It inspires confidence.
Old Jan 9, 2012 | 07:25 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nickrick2641
There's differences between the 3 generations, but if you were to have a choice between, say an Evo VIII, IX .. or the Evo X GSR, which one would you choose, and why?
Me? In a perfect world one could walk into a Mitsu store and buy any Evolution of his choice at any point in time. Given such a prospect, I'd buy the same car as I own, even thought there are times when I miss my RS. Why? Because I love the driving experience. That's why I bought it in the first place. But, that's not realistic. Yes, it's possible to find a good, used Evo, but there aren't that many around. Since you're asking what I would do, I'd buy a brand new X knowing that it hasn't had a half dozen owners in 5 years who modded the car over and over.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII, IX or X-GSR?