Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Who's running their Evo X nearly stock and loving it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I said I would keep it bone stock for 3 years or whenever the warranty ran out. Its been a year and a half and I will be putting down 400 to the wheels at the end of this month.

More power and respect to you if you can actually keep the evo "stock".
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosmpower
don't think you'll be very competitive in asp bone stock
:d
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:17 PM

I got mine 2 weeks ago and tinted, bra'd, flapped, and swapped catback. I plan on intake and tune in summer and call it a day.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rotary787b
I'm really glad it could be ordered as an option on the GSR, I mean you really have to look hard nowadays to find a car where you can get all the performance options without having to pick out a package that includes leather, nav, sunroof, etc.

Love the fact that the only options on my GSR are those that makes it go faster, handle and stop better!

If only more manufacturers would offer something similar on their cars...
My GSR has Sunroof and Leather, and SSS (Rockford, HID, FAST Key)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:47 PM

My evo x is lowered, has Enkei RPF1s, panel filter and ams catback. I dont plan on modding with anymore bolt ons any time soon. Its just so nice to drive since its nearly stock...I know how it feels to be working on your car every week since I used to own a srt4. It sucked. I plan on keeping this car the way it is until the warranty is over..after that dump everything I can into it
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Those are you that are running stock, or nearly stock. Are you having any reliability problems with the car?
100% stock, and only very minor issues that were covered by warranty.

Did have one weird incident where I couldn't get the car to engage some of the gears for a few hours, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by rotary787b
I've had mine for half a year now, only mod is a shift knob and a drop-in panel filter..
Yup, mine is crazy-modded with an aftermarket shift knob and a barely street-legal license plate frame.. gave me 4HP gain, and the car handles much better now, lol

I'm trying to hold off the mod bug until next year, when my car's paid off and the 3-year warranty has expired.

Hopefully, I'll be able to keep it lightly/tastefully modded.. I'm thinking CBRD tune; ETS turbo-back exhaust, intake & UICP - all in Ti; STM small battery; lighter TE37 wheels; Eichbach Prokit or something with a modest drop; some aero - maybe CF Do-Luck front lip & trunk; and then maybe a little bit of weight-saving measures. Also, wouldn't mind having Sheptrans fix up the drivetrain a little.. mostly for longevity, instead of racing though.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

I think the more you mod it the less happy with it you'll be. A basic bolt-on/ tuned Evo X with some suspension mods is the ****. Quick, fun, and reliable.

That being said I'm most likely upgrading to the MAP EF2 and full bolt-ons, for roughly 400whp. So I'll still have a reliable, quick car that is good for daily usage.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:15 AM
Nzo
Evolving Member

Just have a UICP and coilovers and will probably stay that way for quite a while. I would love to get an EF3 and bolt ons as the stock turbo feels pretty worthless after 5k but I'm really not interested in voiding the warranty. At least not yet.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:23 AM

i went stage two about a year ago the only thing that went was my clutch from so much launching haha other than that its been pretty good daily driven and daily beaten
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
It's all fun and games until the modding bug bites. Then **** gets real.
Im with this guy^. I was stock for about 1.5 years, then I got a panel filter and a cobb AP and it's been "more more MOOAAAR" ever since.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Bone stock evo x needs a tune adjustment. Either personalized or cobb etc. (kind maybe an extra dropp in) .
But it is a hell of a fun after. Specially if you explorer her limits...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by HAHAV8
I think the more you mod it the less happy with it you'll be. A basic bolt-on/ tuned Evo X with some suspension mods is the ****. Quick, fun, and reliable.

That being said I'm most likely upgrading to the MAP EF2 and full bolt-ons, for roughly 400whp. So I'll still have a reliable, quick car that is good for daily usage.

"I think the more you mod it the less happy with it you'll be."

You have no idea what you talking about, not even funny how far from the truth.
I dont even know were to start .... lol
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Rob,

I can see someone being disappointed or unhappy after the lure of a 'reliable' 400 whp results in a block that has one too many holes in it.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my X for a couple weeks now and can't wait to modify it. I've had lightly tuned EVO's before and this "stock" thing is killin me! The first thing I had to do was order a different shift boot. That thing is terrible. Really, a $30k+ car with that garbage bag boot? I also ordered a matching e-brake boot and padded arm rest cover (black with white stitch).

I think what I am really itchin' to do is get that thing sitting a little lower, it looks like its ready for a rally. After that, either some spacers for the stock wheels or different wheels, APR lip or similar, hood scoop, OEM rain guards, exhaust and tune. And maybe a lip spoiler and OEM rear bumper side piece add-ons. And maybe IC pipes, intake..................
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
If and when I buy my Evo X, I'm planning on running it nearly stock.Those are you that are running stock, or nearly stock. Are you having any reliability problems with the car?

Me and the G/F are running 2 completely stock Evo's,daily driven,even in the harsh Canadian winter.Both are very,very reliable.The X lost its transmission,its a MR,but it was an early 2008 model and the dealer replaced it within a day and a half with no issues.....so I don't even count that since they put me up in a loaner car.40000 KM's on the X,200000KM's on the II.

PS....you don't need a bunch of mods to have fun or be fast.When I have learned how to max out all the potential from the stock car(and they have an amazing amount of potential built in there),I'll think about a couple of mods.Until that happens.......

I'll just carry on "driving a slow,stock car.....fast!"(raw times^)

Last edited by targa ten; Jan 12, 2012 at 05:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Who's running their Evo X nearly stock and loving it?