Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Who's running their Evo X nearly stock and loving it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's running their Evo X nearly stock and loving it?

If and when I buy my Evo X, I'm planning on running it nearly stock. I might lower it a bit and do some basic power mods to get another 20Hp or so, but that's about it. At least for the first couple years.

I see some of you guys have to work on the your car often and fix stuff all the time, but I know that's thanks to all the mods.

Those are you that are running stock, or nearly stock. Are you having any reliability problems with the car?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Full bolt ons, stock turbo and stock block, for 9000 miles with no issues... it depends alot on who does the install and who does the tune.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
An Evo at the power level you're describing will be reliable for many years, plus any issues that do arise will be covered under warranty.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine's bone stock + a stage 1 canned Cobb tune. I do love this car. I will definitely look for some more though, as there's happy, and then there's more happy
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:33 AM

Cool. I just want to make sure I've got a reliable car. I don't mind having to work on a car that is running so much power that it needs to be worked on often. But, I don't want my Evo to be that. I don't have the time right now to deal with that. I'm running a full time job and a side business, plus trying to exercise and spend time with the family. You get the point.

I'm going to track the car, but mainly for fun, to learn to be a better performance driver and to challenge myself. But I still want it to be perfectly reliable.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:08 PM

You can/will still have a lot of fun at near stock levels. All I've done so far is a Cobb AP on stage 1 and it is amazing. I'm still planning on additional mods, but that's also partially due to the fact that I just enjoy working on cars.

It is very conceivable that someone could be very satisfied with a near stock Evo, and not have to worry about compromising the reliability. I've only got 2700 miles on the car, so I can't speak long term yet. But, that's what your warranty is for (especially if you're at or near stock levels).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by EvoStarGSR
You can/will still have a lot of fun at near stock levels. All I've done so far is a Cobb AP on stage 1 and it is amazing. I'm still planning on additional mods, but that's also partially due to the fact that I just enjoy working on cars.

It is very conceivable that someone could be very satisfied with a near stock Evo, and not have to worry about compromising the reliability. I've only got 2700 miles on the car, so I can't speak long term yet. But, that's what your warranty is for (especially if you're at or near stock levels).
True that. I love working on cars. I just don't have the time. I have way too much going on to deal with a car breaking down. I want to work on it maintaining it, cleaning it, polishing it... and the random light mod.

Not to say I won't get deep into modding it later on, but not right now.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not understand this idea of "STOCK"...this is quite confusing to me.

My head hurts now...stock evo, weird.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by murlo26
I do not understand this idea of "STOCK"...this is quite confusing to me.

My head hurts now...stock evo, weird.
Haha. It really depends.

I sometimes think.. "money," "resale value", etc. For example, I'm selling an '08 Scion XB to help pay for the Evo. I've kept the XM nearly stock and it' absolutely perfect. The little things I did I can bolt-off. (Nothing to the engine BTW.) Stuff like wheels, brakes, lowering springs.

Now, I can sell it for lots, barely lose money. More money for the new car.

In fact, the XB was an excellent purchase. I bought it new for $16,500 3.5 years ago and I can easily sell it stock now for $13,000 with 33,000 miles.

I'm going to give it a shot to sell it for $15,000 with all the bolt-ons. (Leather, wheels, brakes, suspension, etc.) If not, part it out, sell for $13,000 then sell the parts. We shall see.

Anyone need a perfect low-miles DD?

Unfortunately, as soon as you start modding a car it starts losing value for most people. That might be my mature side speaking. Or the fact that I've already had 10 or 12 cars at 32. Dunno.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:58 PM

I've had mine for half a year now, only mod is a shift knob and a drop-in panel filter. I intend to keep it that way at least until my warranty is over (5 years). Already went to the dealer for brake problems and having a stock car is really great compared to trying not to get them to blame every single problem the car is having on aftermarket parts!

I had mods on my last daily driver, never again! After 6 years I had problems with nearly every part I changed (but this is to be expected since they're not designed to last as long as OEM parts - and no they weren't cheap parts )

I take my evo to the track and auto-x and stock it's a really great package. I have another car that's dedicated for track use so I don't feel the need to buy mods for the evo.

Stock it's an incredible package if you ask me.

If you enjoy the car as it is and you're willing to wait until your warranty is over to mod, you'll get loads of fun and peace of mind!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:01 PM

Stop modifying your EVO's!!!!

Im having a hard time finding a used one that's completely stock .

Having said that, I can't have a car that slower then the one I own now, so I'd be dumping money into it as soon as I get it across the border.

230 AWHP seems like it would be fun at slower speeds, but my wrong wheel drive neon dyno'd about the same when it was stock, and I think I might need a little more for the mountain driving.

this is off topic and I know I could search for this, but where do you fellas think a GSR would sit after Exhaust, Boost control, IC + tune for 94?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

It's all fun and games until the modding bug bites. Then **** gets real.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack
Stop modifying your EVO's!!!!

Im having a hard time finding a used one that's completely stock .

Having said that, I can't have a car that slower then the one I own now, so I'd be dumping money into it as soon as I get it across the border.

230 AWHP seems like it would be fun at slower speeds, but my wrong wheel drive neon dyno'd about the same when it was stock, and I think I might need a little more for the mountain driving.

this is off topic and I know I could search for this, but where do you fellas think a GSR would sit after Exhaust, Boost control, IC + tune for 94?

As a guesstimate:
11/12 GSR + intake, cat-back, 3port, UICP and LICP tuned on 94oct ~330-350whp.

My 11 GSR put down 264hp/281ft-lbs 100% stock on a dynojet. Factory tune was WAY rich too. Lots of power to be had just on the OE equipment.

The OE FMIC is actually really good, and unless you are in a place that would let you gets lots of heatsoak, you're better off doing downpipe, and definitely test-pipe, but that would conflict with most laws and warranty.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't plan on going beyond SCCA Stock (autocross and rallycross) mods for at least another few years; I've demodded quite a bit since buying the car (used). I love this car the way it is for both weekends and daily driving.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
What do you mean by almost stock? I've got lowering springs, exhaust, intercooler piping, drop-in filter, Cobb AP tune and have put 36k miles on my X. Perfect for a DD. No reliability issues at all, although sometimes I will have an older passenger that says my car is too loud. Its not bad at all though.

Quick Reply: Who's running their Evo X nearly stock and loving it?