Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Who offers a stronger tranny for the X?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who offers a stronger tranny for the X?

Ok I'm back on the idea of selling my 8/9 mix for a X. My only concern is still the tranny, I've read a ton of times that the X's tranny is weaker and I've already rebuilt the one in my car. I lost 1 tooth on the inner 4th gear and my plastic speedo gear (not fun, $4000 and 8 months later) SO. Who offers a good aftermarket tranny and what are the weak points of the stocker? Gears actually breaking or what? It will be a DD, but I'm not gentle on my car. I drive it the way it should be driven. Also, did Mitsu upgrade/fix any tranny problems they have between 08 and brand new 2012?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

IIRC the transmission in the X (GSR) is stronger than the previous years.

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
I lost 1 tooth on the inner 4th gear ...

It will be a DD, but I'm not gentle on my car. I drive it the way it should be driven. ...
Provided you are fully disengaging the clutch when you shift, and then not burning the clutch on the re-engagement, for a DD you shouldn't have any problems. However, abuse will break anything no matter how strong it's designed.

I'd think you'd have more to worry about the clutch-master-cylinder or the diff pump.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
IIRC the transmission in the X (GSR) is stronger than the previous years.

Provided you are fully disengaging the clutch when you shift, and then not burning the clutch on the re-engagement, for a DD you shouldn't have any problems. However, abuse will break anything no matter how strong it's designed.

I'd think you'd have more to worry about the clutch-master-cylinder or the diff pump.
Those parts don't bother me they're cheap and not hard to do. The tranny is my only concern. It wouldn't be stock for too long. And false about the X tranny being stronger than the 8/9 5 speed. Everytime I look at the X forum there's someone with a grinding problem. I just want to know if someone offers a stronger alternative so IF I do ever have to rebuild it, I know it'll not happen a 2nd time. It's not that I'm hard on my tranny I don't launch very often and shift smooth.

When the tranny went in my car everything was fine and normal until I went to downshift into 4th, it simply wasn't there. Just a light grind. The guy that rebuilt it has been rebuilding trannys for 30+years and he said it must have came from the factory with 1 softer tooth than the rest and I must have put it into gear at that perfect point to snap it. He said he's never seen a tooth break off from a simple downshift. Gears don't just break from normal use. It was fully engaged. It had 33k miles. Fluke. SO with that said, I'd like to NOT have that happen again.

Nobody offers a better tranny for the X?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

The known "Notchy trans" is not the same as grinding. It's also not something that just develops (like wear) on the GSR's trans, seems to come from the factory like that.

Mine is slightly notchy from 2-3rd. But only if I shift at 2.5k-3k revs. Shifting at 7k, it's like butter. It seems like the people that are bothered by the notchy GSR trans can solve the majority of it with Redline or Amsoil fluid and better success with the AMS shifter bushings and a short-throw.

I'd really like to see your sources on the X's GSR trans being weaker than the 8/9 5MT. Everything I've seen on this sight has reinforced the X's being stronger, and the weakest links being overfilled TC's, Diff Pins (08-10 problem), and the rear Diff.

Here's a link to a previous thread that can probably answer a lot more about it. I would also hit up Kracka, he has every shifter mod you can think of and has tried the different brands. He has a great review on how a few things really fixed the notchy shifting

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nts-evo-x.html

Just like older gen Evo's you can always go Shep for a build. IMO worst part of the GSR trans is how short 5th gear feels. The car would be amazing if it just had a 6th gear in the GSR.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
The known "Notchy trans" is not the same as grinding. It's also not something that just develops (like wear) on the GSR's trans, seems to come from the factory like that.

Mine is slightly notchy from 2-3rd. But only if I shift at 2.5k-3k revs. Shifting at 7k, it's like butter. It seems like the people that are bothered by the notchy GSR trans can solve the majority of it with Redline or Amsoil fluid and better success with the AMS shifter bushings and a short-throw.

I'd really like to see your sources on the X's GSR trans being weaker than the 8/9 5MT. Everything I've seen on this sight has reinforced the X's being stronger, and the weakest links being overfilled TC's, Diff Pins (08-10 problem), and the rear Diff.

Here's a link to a previous thread that can probably answer a lot more about it. I would also hit up Kracka, he has every shifter mod you can think of and has tried the different brands. He has a great review on how a few things really fixed the notchy shifting

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nts-evo-x.html

Just like older gen Evo's you can always go Shep for a build. IMO worst part of the GSR trans is how short 5th gear feels. The car would be amazing if it just had a 6th gear in the GSR.
What about the MR? The early 6 speeds are the weak ones, is the X MR tranny any better? And I did not know about rear end problems. My 8 rear end has always had a very light grind on decel but never got worse over the 20k miles I've put on it.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack's Trans did a nice review of the changes made to the Evo X trans: http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/evox-review

Conclusion is that, overall, its improved, but they did introduce some new gremlins. Most of those have been corrected after the 2008 production run. As with the 8/9's, if you are going to pushing the trans hard in competition, having it rebuilt and reinforced is a good idea.

The biggest problems are that the clutch disc sucks, and the clutch master cylinder is weak. For the CMC, I've heard that some race teams are actually using the stock CMC without any issue, but just adjusted the pedal so it couldn't travel as far (IE, put a 2x4 on under it).

edit:
The X MR is a twin-clutch setup. Totally different beast. It has similar issues to the GTR, Porsche PDK, GTI DSG, etc. All manageable, but it'll cost extra and have a lower power/torque limit. Bad idea if you want over 500whp. And there's no actual gear shifter or clutch pedal.

Last edited by blk-majik; Jan 12, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
Jack's Trans did a nice review of the changes made to the Evo X trans: http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/evox-review

Conclusion is that, overall, its improved, but they did introduce some new gremlins. Most of those have been corrected after the 2008 production run. As with the 8/9's, if you are going to pushing the trans hard in competition, having it rebuilt and reinforced is a good idea.

The biggest problems are that the clutch disc sucks, and the clutch master cylinder is weak. For the CMC, I've heard that some race teams are actually using the stock CMC without any issue, but just adjusted the pedal so it couldn't travel as far (IE, put a 2x4 on under it).

edit:
The X MR is a twin-clutch setup. Totally different beast. It has similar issues to the GTR, Porsche PDK, GTI DSG, etc. All manageable, but it'll cost extra and have a lower power/torque limit. Bad idea if you want over 500whp. And there's no actual gear shifter or clutch pedal.
Yea I'd definitely miss having a stick shift but the MR is pretty sweet. And I don't want or need 500hp, It wouldn't be dragged, maybe the occasional 30 roll or launch here and there but that's it. Max I want is 400 on a Dynojet. Fun yet reliable. But it would probably be an 08. So, go for an 08 MR? What problems are those known for having?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

The X transmission is plenty fine. I'm pretty sure Buschur, Shep and TRE all do rebuilds for the X tranny. You're more than welcome to drive mine when it's out of storage as I see you're local, and yes every X tranny seems to be "notchy". If you're looking at 2012's let me know and I can recommend you to someone.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the MR, it depends who you ask The MR is still a bit of a mystery to most. Guys with 2010+ MR's seems to think that improvements were made after 2008. I'm not aware of anything other than tuning, but tbh I dont follow the MR stuff as closely. What I do know is that the MR's that I've seen take the most beating and still run strong are all 2008's.

Either way, if you want 400whp/wtq, you'll probably need to improve the SST cooling and have a stronger clutch pack installed. SSP sells everything you need. You're talking about $2k in parts to beef it up. http://www.sspperformance.com/sub-ca...nsmission----/
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I would worry more about the rear diiff more than the trans. Alot of people replace the rear diff with a custco 1.5 or an evo 8/9 rear diff. Getting rid of the AYC.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

For what you are talking power wise the X drivetrain is plenty strong. The owner of Tobz Performance's personal 08 X makes 660 whp on a mustang. Runs low 11's at ~5200 feet elevation. Stock tranny and drivetrain, heavily upgraded clutch.

As mentioned by others the notchiness people complain about is NOT grinding.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
The X transmission is plenty fine. I'm pretty sure Buschur, Shep and TRE all do rebuilds for the X tranny. You're more than welcome to drive mine when it's out of storage as I see you're local, and yes every X tranny seems to be "notchy". If you're looking at 2012's let me know and I can recommend you to someone.
Yea if I can find locals with the GSR and MR to test out that would be sweet. I see a WW MR driving up and down the Blvd quite a bit lately. I'm considering seeing if someone with a X wants to trade for my car+cash or I'd throw in my 09 R6 for the right deal. I LOVE my car it's been good to me, it has zero problems, a fresh tune and some tasteful mods but not molested. Mivec motor and 9 turbo new clutch and new tcase. It's a tough choice..Who else here is from Buffalo with a X I can test drive?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck finding someone with an MR they'll let you drive. I know transit Towne has 2 on the lot but I've only seen maybe 2 driving around. One of them comes to swerve a lot
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
Good luck finding someone with an MR they'll let you drive. I know transit Towne has 2 on the lot but I've only seen maybe 2 driving around. One of them comes to swerve a lot
I know it might be a long shot to find someone locally that first has an MR, and second someone that'll let me test drive but it's worth asking ya know. I wish you could pull your gsr out and let me drive it or even take me for a spin. I have a guy with a 2010 GSR I might start talking numbers with but really need to drive one first
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The X GSR 5-speed is the best manual transmission Mitsubishi has ever offered. The clutch is no different than any other stock clutch; it can handle quite a bit as long as you don't launch and/or slip the hell out of it.

If you're breaking any drivetrain components on a bolt-on daily driver you should revise the way you drive.

Quick Reply: Who offers a stronger tranny for the X?