Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
counter street and throttler.

If you braking it will do a slide only . ABS makes it even worst so you wont stop until you reach the ABS shut off speed i think that is around 5mph.
With our new S-AWC system you do have more control significantly then before.
But is would still completely shut off the S-AWc, since it takes the power away from the wheels. You have super traction since you have snow tires + AWD system

Thats the way i see it, blizzak snows and turning off s-awc, like mentioned ...good way is to test it in parking lots then see how it reacts to all the different traction control settings, best way to see how car reacts in a situations and how it all feels. But regardless this car is a beast in snow, ive had explorers, trailblazers and subarus, none compare. Just went to steamboat last week, all my buddies subarus couldnt make it up hills and were skating around turns.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainAsia
I like taking it to an empty parking lot to practice, but watch out for cops, 9 times out of 10 even if you arent doing anything stupid, they'll give you a lot of crap. Anyone know anyways around this?
If it's private property, I don't think they can do a whole lot. If it's a totally empty parking lot and you're practicing at low speeds, you'd win in court anyway.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainAsia
I like taking it to an empty parking lot to practice, but watch out for cops, 9 times out of 10 even if you arent doing anything stupid, they'll give you a lot of crap. Anyone know anyways around this?
frozen lake
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
If it's a totally empty parking lot and you're practicing at low speeds, you'd win in court anyway.
Nonsense! Really risky advice, at a minimum.

In CT, for example, all CT traffic laws apply in any non-gated parking lot with 10 or more spaces. (That's the only state I know of for sure, but I doubt that CT is the only one.) You can get a ticket for reckless driving for practicing in a large lot, no matter how safe it may seem to you.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zabes
frozen lake
a little water damage never did anyone harm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

From what I learned at Dirtfish rally school, I would chime in with this:

Off throttle, left foot brake with GENTLE pressure, you will ride the brakes and modulate with countersteering input until the car is pointed in the direction you wish to go, do NOT apply throttle until you are pointed in the direction you want to go.

If you give throttle prior to pointing in the direction of intended travel it will cause oversteer/snap-oversteer.

NO, this is not what you would do in a tarmac or track situation (and why it took over an hour of driving to finally get the footwork down with the instructor in the car)..... But it works.

And YES, I discussed the topic of how to apply the dirt techniques in snow/ice situations.

Here is the course I took: http://www.dirtfish.com/courses/info...ntro-to-rally/

Last edited by Ryan.Kauz; Jan 17, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^^^^
That is quiet wierd uf they told you off throttle and ride on brake.
That is a perfect receipe to loose control.

If you lost control braking just make it worst unless you still partially on throttle ergo left foot braking. But that is an advanced technic. And i dont think you can use it if you are not really familiar with it. Ergo doesnt really apply here.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

I think they told you that so you cant sue them later. Lol
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm just a rallycrosser, but the idea of using the left foot on the brake and not having the right on the gas makes zero sense to me.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say when having to come out of a slide just continue doing donuts in the snow. They are fun
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HMMM with everything said here, if you can't make it work. Do eveyone a favor and go back to your first instinct and SLOW Down... Reminds me fo a guy several years ago who passed me at speed in the snow in Tx. A few hundred yards ahead he began to lose control, weaving from side to side then curb to curb and just trashed his BMW, he was finally slowing down facing the wrong direction with 4 blown ties and 2 broken rims ( from what was visible) as I passed him...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:43 PM

I've driven in snow my entire life. Get a good set of tires (Blizzaks if you have long winters like us). Stay calm, sounds like a dumb thing to say but a lot of people start freaking out once they get a little sideways or start slipping, which lends to the over correction. Let off the gas a bit and it should straighten out, I mean come on these are Evo's we're driving lol

Last edited by dewey1231; Jan 17, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

The main thing is as soon as you let off the throttle after you lost it, basically you are sitting on a dead brick. No steering or braking wheel gain control over it. You need to moodulate tbe throttle and your steering together to gain control. If you advanced you can use lfb too. But then you probably dont read this.

Whrn you loost control in snow ice etc. Means you lost grip. There for brake and steer together wont do much. Maybe you can navigate a little between trees, but you wont stay on the road. Since our car is awd throttle wont cause snap oversteer etc. Fact itis moe fwd then rwd biased.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:47 AM

Yep, best thing is to purposely get into a skid to learn how the car reacts and how to correct. It's what they do at driving schools and it is what they do at racing schools. I lucked out and had a really horrible winter last year. 4 months of straight snow/ice on the ground. Conducted my own little instruction on what my car would do at certain speeds and in certain turns on ice and snow. I love this car, drive around most of the time without the restraints on, but in snow they are essential. Just have to know what they will do for you.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_flick