Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow

I am living in a place with snow. People who has experienced with a snowing winter would know that the car would slide outward in a turn if you drive too fast. Of course the best way to gain control is to drive slowly. However, if you were accidentally turning too fast, what would be the fastest way to get back the control?

In my case, I was making a left turn. I was just turning too fast that the tail of the car slide to the right a bit. Then I turn my steering wheel right, but then the tail slide to the left. Repeating the step, the car's tail keep sliding to both side like 4 time before I can get back the control. Well, I don't think this is the correct way to drive the car as I have seen a lot of video that people can do it so smoothly especially in a Rally competition.

Can someone just give me suggestion to avoid an accident?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Sounds like your over correcting.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

stay on the gas or push in the clutch depends on what you're doing
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

To be smooth if the rear of the car is sliding, you have to react quickly or even anticipate that it is going to slide; what happened to you is that you got behind and reacted too slowly.

On the race track, I have corrected skids before I even felt the back end slide; I knew the track and the car well enough to anticipate it was going to slide, and turned the wheel toward the skid as it was beginning to slide. If you wait until it has already stepped out, you're going to have to make a big correction, and you're much more likely to have a skid in the other direction. Then you correct the other way, and so on, and you have a "tank slapper" like you experienced.

Rally drivers constantly move the wheel in order to feel the available grip and be able to predict how the car is going to react in a turn; this is not very practical on the street.

My best advice is to practice skid correction in a big parking lot so that you know how the car reacts. Don't drive quickly in the snow if there is any traffic or something to hit; that is just asking for trouble.

I cannot think of a situation I've ever been in where pushing in the clutch was the right thing to do in a skid. There are many times where gently adding throttle does help, however.

My favorite logo on a Trackdaze shirt: "Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate all at the same time."
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:44 PM

What tires are you running?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everything takes time on snow. I agree with the person who said you are over-correcting. If you counter steer as fast and as much as you would on tarmac, you will definitely wag the tail. Slow your hands down and be more patient. Resist the temptation to dial in more steering when it doesn't immediate do what you want. Again, in low-grip situations, patience is key.

Note: all of this applies to your feet, too. Squeeze the pedals down; ease off them. Nothing sudden or crazy.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoStarGSR
What tires are you running?
I use micheline winter tire.
The car did correct so fast, thanks to the AWD, central differential syatem and the winter tire.
I just want to find some way to improve my driving skill. No matter how good the car is, I would crash it if I so not drive it properly.

In fact, I am kind of talking about emergency situation like stupidly turning too fast. It sometime happens after a long ride.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Take your car to an empty lot and play. Best way to learn is by doing it on purpose.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 304MR
Take your car to an empty lot and play. Best way to learn is by doing it on purpose.
Agreed, or driving school. It's a little tough to give pointers without being in the car with you.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Your instincts tell you to get off the gas but that can be the worst thing to do sometimes as it will un-weight the rear wheels. Mose gas in an Evo can save your *** in many situations. As others have said get out in a big parking lot and practice.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm guessing u still have summer tires on? if so I'd turn traction control off, all it does in the snow is lock up your wheels and turns your car into a 3600lb skier....
Also, smaller corrections are better than bigger ones in the snow.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rburris28
My favorite logo on a Trackdaze shirt: "Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate all at the same time."
Golden quote. Borrowing this for the future.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
counter street and throttler.

If you braking it will do a slide only . ABS makes it even worst so you wont stop until you reach the ABS shut off speed i think that is around 5mph.
With our new S-AWC system you do have more control significantly then before.
But is would still completely shut off the S-AWc, since it takes the power away from the wheels. You have super traction since you have snow tires + AWD system
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with the others that say you are over correcting. You basically feel the car slide one way... so you steer to correct... but you do it too much so it starts swinging the other way.

Something else that would help is to NOT have your car in TARMAC mode. TARMAC mode will make the car want to oversteer more... and it will make what you are saying is happening to you happen even more. In the winter I usually drive in GRAVEL because I find SNOW is too restrictive. But if things really do get horrible... I will use SNOW mode.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like taking it to an empty parking lot to practice, but watch out for cops, 9 times out of 10 even if you arent doing anything stupid, they'll give you a lot of crap. Anyone know anyways around this?