Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How Do You Approach a Corner with an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering the same question when I first bought the car because I had stock suspension/handling components; I felt the springs were too bouncy (for a smoother ride) and it made my turning experience not as enjoyable as it is now.

To be honest, I learned the basics from years of Gran Turismo and Forza experience (I bought the steering wheel and cockpit for those games and it made a world of a difference than using the handheld controllers)!!! LOL!!!!! It's a lot cheaper than auto-x/track events (but maybe not as much fun) and it does give you a good foundation of how all types of cars handle. Then when the time comes and you are ok with rear wheel drive cars/counter steering, I'd recommend upgrading the springs (lower the car a bit), rear sway bar (adjustable), and the rear differential (to a 12 plate 1.5 way). Get rid of that understeer with throttle oversteer!!!

For now, stick to the basics and either take a lesson, upgrade the suspension on the car, or all of the above. Enjoy!!!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmeister007
For now, stick to the basics and take a lesson, THEN upgrade the suspension on the car. Enjoy!!!
Fixed
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've met more then a few people who assume the Evo is FWD all the time until traction becomes an issue. I wonder where this myth comes from?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:42 AM

Being an AWD car with a little heavy on the weight, the car always will tend to under steer (at least for my setup). I'm more towarding to do point and shoot to minimize under steering.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by manchi
Being an AWD car with a little heavy on the weight, the car always will tend to under steer (at least for my setup). I'm more towarding to do point and shoot to minimize under steering.
Generally manufactures design vehicles to inherently understeer, as it's safer for the general public.

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
I've met more then a few people who assume the Evo is FWD all the time until traction becomes an issue. I wonder where this myth comes from?
The same people that drive Lancer ES's and ask you if your Evo came with a turbo or you had to install it after; same ones that need understeer as a safety catch for trying to turn the wheel and drive at the same time.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

take it to the track and find out...but its closer to fwd line then rwd
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Montu
I agree.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Montu
as are most AWD cars... until you apply more power. Brake more prior to corner, use throttle to get you through the corner better. I know that is fairly common knowledge, just thought I would throw that out there to help your point not trying to correct you in any way.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmeister007
I was wondering the same question when I first bought the car because I had stock suspension/handling components; I felt the springs were too bouncy (for a smoother ride) and it made my turning experience not as enjoyable as it is now.

To be honest, I learned the basics from years of Gran Turismo and Forza experience (I bought the steering wheel and cockpit for those games and it made a world of a difference than using the handheld controllers)!!! LOL!!!!! It's a lot cheaper than auto-x/track events (but maybe not as much fun) and it does give you a good foundation of how all types of cars handle. Then when the time comes and you are ok with rear wheel drive cars/counter steering, I'd recommend upgrading the springs (lower the car a bit), rear sway bar (adjustable), and the rear differential (to a 12 plate 1.5 way). Get rid of that understeer with throttle oversteer!!!

For now, stick to the basics and either take a lesson, upgrade the suspension on the car, or all of the above. Enjoy!!!
Making these recommedations based on your gaming experiences also?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

As an Englishman I would never just approach a corner; I would wait to be formally introduced.

Anyho, I'm not sure why people are suggesting driving the Evo like a FWD car. Having driven all FWD cars up until I got an Evo I was shocked at how different they behaved when cornering. If your not convinced compare how they behave on mid-corner lift-off. In a FWD it will straighten up, in the Evo it will snap oversteer you into the nearest tree.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Back to how the tech works, I found that this description works best to explain what the car is doing in a turn. It's direct from Mitsu training resources.

In a turn, the vehicle enters the corner with both rear wheels receiving almost equal torque. The center differential is engaged to give all the wheels (front to rear) as close to equal traction as possible. As the car enters the first half of the turn the ACD will release to give independence of the center differential to allow turning. The AYC will transfer torque to the outer wheel throughout the turn.When the vehicle starts to exit the turn (steering straightens and throttle angle increases) the ACD engages to transfer the torque front to rear. The exit of the corner has the AYC directional valve and proportional valves de-energize to balance the torque left to right in the rear axle set.

Sensing the situation: the case of understeer

S-AWC measures your speed and steering input, and calculates how much the car should be turning based on that data. In this case, you should be progressing through a turn. The yaw rate sensor, a mechanism that measures the rate of lateral force on the car, tells S-AWC how much the car is actually turning. In this case, the car is still moving forward, due to slippery conditions or excessive speed. S-AWC takes the feedback from the yaw rate sensor and compares it to the calculation. If the actual behavior of the car does not match the calculations, it judges the car to be in a skid, and takes action to help make the car’s actual performance congruent with the steering inputs.

Corrective action: Torque transfer and brakes

First, S-AWC will employ AYC to transfer torque from the inside rear wheels to the outside rear wheels. Giving the car more power on the outside will help it to dig in and move the car through the turn. S-AWC again compares feedback from the yaw rate sensor to the calculation to see whether the attitude of the vehicle is in line with the steering inputs. If it has not, S-AWC will then employ the inside front brake, to help turn the nose of the car.

In the event of oversteer, also called “fishtailing” or “power sliding”, S-AWC corrects in exactly the opposite way, by transferring torque from the outside to the inside rear wheels, and by applying brake pressure to the outside front wheel.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
Making these recommedations based on your gaming experiences also?
Lol. I just floor it into a corner and bounce off the guardrails to keep my speed up..

..I'm guessing this might not work as well in real life
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

wheels straight. brake hard.

off brake, turn in, on gas hard. the car will pull you around.

people are making it sound harder than it really is. turning isnt the hard part. its the timing of your brake/turn/gas complete exercise that is tough to master.