Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

what can i do without voiding my warranty

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just talk to your dealership. I have told mine everything that I have done to my car and they haven't had any issues with what I have done. Only thing they ask me is to reflash to stock when I come in for service.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^Good write up
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
*accept, because it is not an exception. Sorry, started to bug me.

^Thanks. My grammar sucks.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jakerx
This tune is not a Mitsubishi tune, nor is it warrantied by Mitsubishi. It's warrantied by the Colt Car Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi.
^ I think because it is a wholly owned subsidiary = Mitsubishi, or whatever the parent company is, owns it. Therefore it is a Mitsubishi tune.

However I could see them saying something to the effect (grammar ***** go of, if you did not buy an FQ 400, you are not eligible to receive the FQ 400 tune and still be eligible for your factory warranty.

Last edited by nismo2evox; Jan 19, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by nismo2evox
^ I think because it is a wholly owned subsidiary = Mitsubishi, or whatever the parent company is, owns it. Therefore it is a Mitsubishi tune..
I guarantee you if you try and tune your car with the FQ400 tune and/or associated parts, no Mitsubishi dealer in the country (let alone Colt Cars UK) will perform any sort of warranty work.

The only way to get any sort of warranty work on an Evo with the FQ400 tune is to buy an FQ400 in the U.K., leave it bone stock, and call it a day.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:55 PM

I guarantee you if you try and tune your car with the FQ400 tune and/or associated parts, no Mitsubishi dealer in the country (let alone Colt Cars UK) will perform any sort of warranty work.

The only way to get any sort of warranty work on an Evo with the FQ400 tune is to buy an FQ400 in the U.K., leave it bone stock, and call it a day.

^ I agree with you. I'm just talking semantics.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Good thing it's semantics and semitics, or else this thread will go back to being a conversation about being a grammar **** opposed to just a grammar fascist.
Meh, I'm sure I've gone most of my life with saying accept and except incorrectly.

I'm stock, but I don't plan on announcing all my mods to my local dealer like someone else said they did. I did ask the Evo tech outside of the shop what they look for on warranty issues, and he was honest about saying how if the car has a test pipe, it's really out of their hands because that's a federal law that is being broken. He did mention that everything else is usually accepted, but depending on what brakes it could lead to a lot of scrutiny. But I'm sure every dealer will be different.

Happy Modding!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:42 PM

No problemo at all, sir. This is a forum. Intelligent discussion is always a good thing.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:13 AM

No problemo at all, sir. This is a forum. Intelligent discussion is always a good thing.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:41 PM

Hey idk I think it depends on the dealership because my MR's pretty modded and the chief mechanic at my dealership still acknowledges the warranty. I think I got lucky?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
Just talk to your dealership. I have told mine everything that I have done to my car and they haven't had any issues with what I have done. Only thing they ask me is to reflash to stock when I come in for service.
I would suggest going with Get Rad's advice.

Its close to impossible to tell you what is and is not acceptable. First off, when you speak of "voiding the warranty", you have to understand it is more complicated then that. As another poster mentioned, the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act states that you can replace parts with non-OEM parts without voiding the warranty unless it can be proven that the replacement part caused the failure.

That being said, all the dealership has to do is say "your new air freshener caused the transmission to fail so we are not going to replace it under warranty". Now that is obviously bull****, but who cares? You are now stuck petitioning corporate to ask for help and eventually taking them to court over it. Yes, you may eventually win in court and have the part replaced, but at what cost? Rental cars, hours at work missed, possible lawyer fees, court costs, etc.

Talking to your dealership and establishing a report with the service manager is a good start. Do not try and get failures covered under warranty when you know it was your fault, or the parts fault. IE, if you install lowering springs and have a shock fail, dont ask them to replace the shock under warranty.

At the end of the day, this is still not a guarantee. The service manager may quit or the dealership may close. That is the situation Im in - the local dealership shut down and the closest one is 100+ miles away now.

IMO, for performance, Id do mods that get air in and out of the engine better and leave it at that. Intake, IC, IC piping, exhaust. Wheels and springs are enough to personalize the car without really tearing into anything serious.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

the dealership I have been dealing with said any mods that are not a Mitsu part and installed by a Mitsu tech will void warranty, especially any tunes. but it seems that every place is a little different on what they say and do.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
Wash your car
nop, unless you use mitsubishi car wash md 250687

jk
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AFD
uh, yeah.. that's about it, lol. anything else is at your own risk, and the discretion of the dealership and/or their regional mitsu guy that approves or denies certain warranty repairs.
Federal law disagrees.

Originally Posted by CounterConcept
Anything u change on the car voids the warranty on that part only.
So if u change ur springs to lower the car and ur struts go out then ur warranty is void because u modified the springs. Unless u can prove that it wasn't because of the mod.
At least do the basics exhaust, lower it, and intake and rims. Unless u plan on keeping ur car completely stock for 5 years.
This is much closer to correct. Everyone needs to research the Magnuson-Moss Act. Here's a link to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Don't let the dealership give you guys the shaft when it comes to modifying your cars.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Federal law disagrees.

Don't let the dealership give you guys the shaft when it comes to modifying your cars.
Yes, I'm familiar with the Magnuson-Moss act.. but I'm also familiar with story after story of members here getting the run-around on various warranty repairs from Mitsu dealerships, reps & corporate itself.

Just because we know the law doesn't mean that we also have the extra time, money & legal resources to fight Mitsu when they deny a warranty claim.

Sometimes they're cool about covering an issue, sometimes they're not.. it just seems like a crap-shoot in my opinion.

Quick Reply: what can i do without voiding my warranty