Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Theory debate on turn radius

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theory debate on turn radius

So.. I had a weird thought earlier, and it's one I'd like to discuss. I'm a bit ignorant on all the pieces involved with turning the car. Beyond just the control arms.

Well in this dream I had put on some (as I recall) obnoxiously wide Fast and the Furious widebody kit , but I had done something to the suspension to tighten up the turning radius.

As for my understanding, if I had a widebody kit, spaced a standard sized rim out, and replace the control and support arms it's possible.

now tell me why I'm horrifically wrong.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're wrong because adding spacers will increase the scrub radius. Amongst other things, now the tire moves farther forward and aft when you steer. The widebody kit will make more room for the tire to the outside, but won't get you the room you need in front and behind the original wheelwell. Thus, spacers (or very low offset) is not the answer.

To create a car that can turn tighter (or, maybe better said: can steer much sharper) - like a drift car that needs to be able to counter-steer very sharply - you often need to rework the knuckle, itself. Just making more room to the outside of the OE wheel location won't cut it.