Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

hi flow cat question?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
test pipe is cheaper then hiflow cat. 100 sell .

i would go fore catback and testpipe = most gain
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
How are you guys liking the Mil.Spec 100-cell? How about the available 200-cell units? My OEM main is holding me back quite a bit, but I do not want to make the car any louder if I can avoid it. I passed state emissions flawlessly this month, so that is not a problem. TIA!

//edit// Ideally, I would like to free up some flow without compromising my car's ability to pass the sniffer. The two or three hundred cell looks more appealing, but I particularly like the fact that Mil.Spec's product has metal innards and is made in the U.S.A. I would probably add a shell/shield on one for visual purposes though.

Last edited by bboyalan; Jan 22, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

So even with a HFC you need a tune with that too? I was thinking only if it was a testpipe.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some times the HFC throws codes even with the o2 spacer and a tune will turn off the CEL.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I see. That sucks. Does it still drive normally fine?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by khmerguyx
If the CEL is triggered due to a false positive, then yes.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Listen,
I have a 11 GSR with: Ets intake, upper and lower ic pipes, Cobb down pipe, Cobb high flow cat, stock exhaust, Cobb ap & Ivey tune on top of that and the car is stupid fast. I know I'm listing more then your asking, but just so you know for the future.
Reason I don't have cat back exhaust is cause I can't stand it being loud I'm 38 and drive it to work everyday and of course my wife can't stand the car as is forget about having it louder lol.
And ? Hopefully next spring I will like to get a second tune saved on the AP to be used with race fuel only and no cat and no exhaust, open pipe with a custom straight pipe. So when ever I go to the track I just switch to race gas, switch tune and the most pain in the *** part to swap exhaust out, but then the car will be even stupid faster. I don't mind going thru the trouble of swapping out the exhaust for track days cause my friend owns a shop and it's not like I go to the track every week, more like 3 times a year if so. Good luck
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by khmerguyx
It drives fine and gives it that cool "spit fire" sound when down shifting. But the problem is when you have the light on you'll never know if you have another problem with your car. So it's best if you get a tune done as soon as you have money for it.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yea thanks for the info man. Ill just look for a catback for now
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:58 AM

Anything that alows the turbo to spool faster is worth it. Myself, I would just save for a reflash since that's good for way more power alone.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=S2K2EVO;9903974]
Originally Posted by Kracka
Probably, why not tune it

I want to stay tune free, but I guess I can always unmarry the AP if I need to go in for work. If I was going this route I would just buy the AP now before any other mods.
so you were planning to remove the Hi-flow cat as well when taking it in? Don't think the dealer will honor a warranty if you replaced the Cat, so why not get the Ap much less of a headach to reset
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:46 AM

I was running a Perrin how flow cat downpipe for a good while and I was running a accessport tune car my car rode amazing. I think Perrin puts a 200 cell in they're down pipes. Im selling my old one if your interested.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...me-offers.html
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04Evo851374
Listen,
I have a 11 GSR with: Ets intake, upper and lower ic pipes, Cobb down pipe, Cobb high flow cat, stock exhaust, Cobb ap & Ivey tune on top of that and the car is stupid fast. I know I'm listing more then your asking, but just so you know for the future.
Reason I don't have cat back exhaust is cause I can't stand it being loud I'm 38 and drive it to work everyday and of course my wife can't stand the car as is forget about having it louder lol.
And ? Hopefully next spring I will like to get a second tune saved on the AP to be used with race fuel only and no cat and no exhaust, open pipe with a custom straight pipe. So when ever I go to the track I just switch to race gas, switch tune and the most pain in the *** part to swap exhaust out, but then the car will be even stupid faster. I don't mind going thru the trouble of swapping out the exhaust for track days cause my friend owns a shop and it's not like I go to the track every week, more like 3 times a year if so. Good luck
I don't mean to go off topic here but do you have any sound clip of your setup? I'm in the same boat as you but you got me beat by a few years. I turn 6 next mouth...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HTLuver
I don't mean to go off topic here but do you have any sound clip of your setup? I'm in the same boat as you but you got me beat by a few years. I turn 6 next mouth...
Hey buddy, no sorry no sound clip but it sounds stock only the intake sounds loud though, again when you get on it.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04Evo851374
Hey buddy, no sorry no sound clip but it sounds stock only the intake sounds loud though, again when you get on it.
Ok, thanks!